clicker question

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby hey21jude » November 20th, 2009, 11:37 pm

I want to give clicker training a try and would like to know what type of clicker would be best. I found the i-click on line and it looks good, but is it really that much better than a regular old clicker I could pick up at petco??

heres a link to the i-click:

http://clickerpets.stores.yahoo.net/noname2.html
Save the Pit Bull... Save the World.
hey21jude
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » November 21st, 2009, 1:21 am

yeah, are there any particular brands of clicker that are good?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Hundilein » November 21st, 2009, 9:18 am

Personally, I really like having a clicker with a "button" to push, rather than just a standard box clicker. They are easier to click, and it's easier to tell whether you are holding it correctly (box clickers can get turned around in your hand and when you go to click, you push the wrong end and nothing happens). They do break more easily though, so if you tend to drop things like I do, buy a few so you have a spare.

The i-click is nice if your dog is at all sound sensitive, because it is a lot quieter than a box clicker, but you can make a box clicker very quiet with a piece of "fun-tac" (the goo you can stick posters on the wall with). The i-click is also easier to push than a box clicker, so if you have any sort of hand/finger issues, it can be a life-saver. (A lot of my older students have arthritis and have a hard time with standard box clickers.)

You can also click the i-click with your foot or your knees if you want to click, but are working on something that requires two hands.

Another thing to consider is whether the clicker has a tab for a key ring or wrist band. I like tabbed clickers because I can attach them to myself more easily.

Here's another buttoned, tabbed clicker I like - http://www.entirelypets.com/tcclicker.html

There's also an electronic clicker called the clicker+ that makes several different tones. You can use one for each pet if you have a multipet house. Though that's not really necessary. Dogs sort out whose click is whose pretty easily, in my experience. My agility instructor used the clicker+ to "tag" people when we were practicing our handling skills. And it has a finger strap so you don't have to hold onto it.

It looks like the clicker+ is unavailable right now though - http://clickerpets.stores.yahoo.net/newclicker.html
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby hey21jude » November 21st, 2009, 9:09 pm

thanks for the info!
Save the Pit Bull... Save the World.
hey21jude
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » November 22nd, 2009, 5:08 am

yeah thanks!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby furever_pit » November 22nd, 2009, 1:11 pm

Wow, I truly didn't know there were different kinds of clickers.
I just have a box clicker that I picked up at the state fair many years ago. (It actually says "click it or ticket" on it. lol ) It is annoying sometimes when it gets turned around somehow and I miss an opportunity to click for a behavior.

I have seen that Triple Crown Clicker at Petsmart so maybe I will go pick one up today and see how it compares.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » November 23rd, 2009, 4:50 pm

It's personal preference...I have tons of clickers, and will just grab what's closest. I like box clickers if I'm working in a loud environment, as they tend to be louder. I love my i-Clicks for most days, it's easier for me to click...though they're not good when I'm wearing tight jeans...I put my clickers in my pocket when I'm teaching class, and then I click when I move. :giggle:

My new fave is the Clik-R by premier, as it's got the finger tab, so it's easy to use/wear when I'm teaching and clicking.

John has a Triple Crown clicker, as it's bigger and easier for him to use.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Return to Training & Behavior