Toy Reviews

Reference section for insurance info, dog friendly hotels, finding apartments, etc.

Postby pocketpit » April 7th, 2009, 5:35 pm

Do you guys think the udder toys could be used on a springpole?

Not if your dog is really into the springpole. My dogs tore theirs in half just using it a training toy. It took them a little bit but I think it only lasted a couple of months. That was with supervised, short play during training. I can't imagine it would last long under heavy duty tugging .
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » April 7th, 2009, 7:09 pm

I used to use Udder toys as flyball tugs...I went through one a tournament with a dog that wasn't a crazy tugger.

I like them, but they don't hold up well to major tugging.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » April 7th, 2009, 7:30 pm

Thanks for the responses. Any recommendations for on a springpole, then? Shades shreds his ropes up very quickly. It may just be something we have to replace all the time, but I was hoping to at least try something else out for a little variety anyway.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » April 7th, 2009, 7:36 pm

I took an old pair of heavy jeans and tied big knots in them -- that lasted for a long time.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » April 8th, 2009, 4:25 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:Thanks for the responses. Any recommendations for on a springpole, then? Shades shreds his ropes up very quickly. It may just be something we have to replace all the time, but I was hoping to at least try something else out for a little variety anyway.

Ropes last MUCH longer on a springpole compared to letting them just tear it up around the house. Kayden shredded a rope within an hour at home but the rope on his springpole is usually good for months
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby maberi » April 8th, 2009, 4:27 pm

Jawz Discs http://www.hyperflite.com/jawzdiscs.html

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!! Have had one for almost a month and not a mark from Kayden on it (this includes playing tug with him)
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » April 9th, 2009, 3:34 pm

maberi wrote:
Ropes last MUCH longer on a springpole compared to letting them just tear it up around the house. Kayden shredded a rope within an hour at home but the rope on his springpole is usually good for months

Oop, I meant that he shreds them ON the pole. Didn't make that very clear. He'll go through a rope in a week or two (if I'm lucky) on his pole. They aren't allowed to have rope toys otherwise.

I think I will try knotting denim. Cheaper alternative, anyway. Thanks!
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 8th, 2009, 12:16 pm

I bought Inara a Bumi for her birthday and I am SUPER impressed with its durability! I'm not sure which size hers is - I'm assuming the large. It's fantastic for tug o' war or even fetch as it bounces strangely when it lands. It's soft on my hands for tugging so I can tug longer with her. I've picked her up with her hanging off it, and she often enjoys gnawing on it for a few minutes after tug, but there isn't one single tooth mark in it. I would never go so far as to say it's indestructible, but it's pretty damned close! Definitely two thumbs up!

http://www.westpawdesign.com/catalog/do ... ducts/bumi

"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby dogged » November 8th, 2009, 12:47 pm

I love, love, love the Udder Tugs. Some super Flyball gals made me a custom Udder tug for B and its the only thing that has lasted any reasonable amount of time.
"Hey, I'm glad I found you. I need your approval to cut down some lollipop trees outside the sea monkey hut. These decisions have to go through you because you're the mayor of crazy town."
dogged
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Brownies Mom » November 8th, 2009, 9:55 pm

We have had good luck with the indestructible toy, but not the treats meant to go in it - those are gone too fast for words. We just drop in some Zeke's training bits and stuff small biskies in there so they have to work at it. We have also had good luck with the Kongs. We put Kong "ziggies" in them, and the dogs go crazy trying to get those out. Remy tore the tops off of the red and black kongs, so we went up in size and he hasn't done it since.

2008_06_28_IMG_0628_1_1.JPG

I was thinking about getting A-Jay a jolly ball - has anyone used one, and if so, what would be the best size for a pit bull (he's 65 lbs)?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... erralID=NA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » November 8th, 2009, 10:27 pm

My dogs are totally addicted to Jolly Balls! We've used all sizes with them, including the horse size, and they just LOVE them. They are not very durable for persistant chewers, though.

Here are a few pics of them with their Jollys:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29920

(Mr Destructo) viewtopic.php?f=44&t=29061

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18673
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby furever_pit » November 9th, 2009, 8:44 am

Mine love the Jolly Balls too. I have two of the 8" ones but would be interested in getting one of the horse size ones.

One of those 5 gallon jugs from the office water cooler is a big hit at my house too.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » November 12th, 2009, 11:33 pm

katiek0417 wrote:The Everlasting Treat Ball:

http://www.triplecrowndogs.com/shop/product.htm?loc=208

Absolutely love this toy. It has outlasted even the hardest chewers in my house, and keeps the more "anxious" ones occupied. You can put small treats in the center part...then bigger treats (that are hard to get through) on the outside parts.

I finally broke down and splurged on one of these the other night...hoping that it'd keep Score occupied, and perhaps the Aussies while at flyball (Xander or Rip who don't play anymore). He got the hard treat part out in less than 30 seconds, and I took it away. Ripley, the old man Aussie, who is a chewer, but not a powerful chewer got the other side popped out in less than 10 seconds today. *sigh*

:rolleyes2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Dukes_mom » November 13th, 2009, 8:22 am

Does anyone's pitbull LOVE lasers? Duke just can't get enough of it. If he hears the jingle of its chain he goes crazy! It is the one thing he never gets bored of, he can chase it for hours. My cousin also had a pitbull that loved lasers as well, so I'm wondering if its just a pitbull thing.
~*~Rebecca~*~
Dukes_mom
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » November 13th, 2009, 9:40 am

Dukes_mom wrote:Does anyone's pitbull LOVE lasers? Duke just can't get enough of it. If he hears the jingle of its chain he goes crazy! It is the one thing he never gets bored of, he can chase it for hours. My cousin also had a pitbull that loved lasers as well, so I'm wondering if its just a pitbull thing.

Nope, not just a pit bull thing. We have two dogs that get a laser pointer as their reward in flyball...a standard poodle and a border terrier. Score goes crazy over them, so does my female Aussie. I don't tend to use them for my gang (4 Aussies and Score) because Aussies have a tendency to get obsessed with things like this...;) I know of a couple of herding dogs that love laser pointers so much they'll stare at the drawer that the pointer is kept...for hours on end. :shock: Herding dogs are nuts. :crazy2:

John uses the laser pointer with Sawyer to direct him for retrieves (Sawyer is his Service Dog)...Sawyer pays attention to it, but doesn't want to play with it...so it works well. 8)

TheRedQueen

Postby Fuego » November 21st, 2009, 5:59 am

Hi,

I recetnly bought a ball which is normally used for piglets. It's a very strong and durable plastic and can even be filled with something. I think it's undestroyable. No idea where you can get one in the USA but here it's in farm supply stores. Dog loves this toy. It can be rolled around or be used trying to bite it all the time. Others in my sport club bought it too but their dogs herd the ball and the balls look like the day they were bought. My dog loves to "kill" the ball and had to be trained by clicker to roll it around. So our ball is very scratched on the outside.
I'll add a picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greetings from Germany :)
A life without a dog is possible but worthless.
Fuego
Just Whelped

Postby ArtGypsy » November 21st, 2009, 3:34 pm

Dukes_mom wrote:Does anyone's pitbull LOVE lasers? Duke just can't get enough of it. If he hears the jingle of its chain he goes crazy! It is the one thing he never gets bored of, he can chase it for hours. My cousin also had a pitbull that loved lasers as well, so I'm wondering if its just a pitbull thing.

Gerry mentioned the other day that Dar might love playing with a Laser..... :?

I remember reading SOMEWHERE, (I have no idea where/when) that lasers weren't such a good thing to 'get started' with a pit bull.............does anyone have any idea what that's about? :|
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 21st, 2009, 5:00 pm

I'll never use one with Inara - I had a friend with a foster dog who LOVED the laser, but became so light oriented that he chewed through walls, blinds, carpet, etc chasing sunlight beams, headlights flashing against the wall, etc. He became totally neurotic with light. Made me totally paranoid! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ArtGypsy » November 21st, 2009, 5:28 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I'll never use one with Inara - I had a friend with a foster dog who LOVED the laser, but became so light oriented that he chewed through walls, blinds, carpet, etc chasing sunlight beams, headlights flashing against the wall, etc. He became totally neurotic with light. Made me totally paranoid! lol

:shock: :shock:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Dukes_mom » November 23rd, 2009, 3:01 am

Duke luckily doesn't chew any thing. Tho he does chase light beams :crazy2:
~*~Rebecca~*~
Dukes_mom
Just Whelped

PreviousNext

Return to Living with your Pit Bull