Question for the vets/vet techs

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby amazincc » November 19th, 2009, 9:57 pm

At what age is a puppy old enough to be evaluated for possible deafness/poor eye sight?

Would a vet be able to tell at 6 weeks of age?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pocketpit » November 19th, 2009, 10:11 pm

We routinely do baer testing on very young puppies. Most of them are tested by breeders prior to placing them in homes, so 8 -10 weeks of age. I would imagine you could do them younger if you could get them to sit semi still.
I don't know about eyesight though.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » November 19th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Oh Noooo,,Christine.........Are You Worried About Faust???????? :?
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Malli » November 19th, 2009, 11:05 pm

I think some blindness/deafness can happen later on as well though..?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » November 20th, 2009, 12:37 am

ArtGypsy wrote:Oh Noooo,,Christine.........Are You Worried About Faust???????? :?

No, it's not Faust... *knocks on wood* :wink:

My next-door neighbor (very nice older gentleman) works w/someone whose Pit mix had an "oops" litter six weeks ago. :rolleyes2:
They are trying to get rid off/sell the puppies already, and they stated that "they won't be able to get anything for the one who seems to be deaf and blind" (he doesn't react to sound and constantly runs/bumps into things)... my neighbor thinks that they might drown this boy (which is how this particular BYB "euthanizes"), and he was pretty upset when he told me about it.
I was considering taking the puppy and getting him evaluated by my vet.

I don't really want another permanent challenging addition... but, on the other hand, he doesn't stand a chance where he lives right now. :sad2:
IF he turns out to be deaf/blind - I don't know if I'd have the stomach to ask the vet to euthanize him either though... dammit.

Would anyone be interested in adoption if I got him vetted/neutered/transported? :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » November 20th, 2009, 12:57 am

amazincc wrote:

Would anyone be interested in adoption if I got him vetted/neutered/transported? :D

Oh, and I know chances are slim-to-none, but I had to ask anyway. :neutral:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » November 20th, 2009, 5:42 am

that would be a LOT for you to handle Christine, very understandable.

Is there anyone who could take him in for you who might be stronger if need be? Going for the long sleep with someone near by would be bounds better then drowning.

Oh and :hug3:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » November 20th, 2009, 11:10 am

Malli wrote:
Is there anyone who could take him in for you who might be stronger if need be? Going for the long sleep with someone near by would be bounds better then drowning.

IF they give him up and I end up w/him, and IF my vet recommends euthanasia, I plan on buying him a cheeseburger before it happens. My neighbor doesn't have the heart to go w/me,... and there is nobody else.
I'll know by tonight if they will let the puppy go to someone, and my neighbor will pick him up over the weekend.

Sucks though.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » November 20th, 2009, 11:20 am

It does suck Christine, but remember there are worse things in this world for some dogs than being humanely euthanized. Sorry, but thank you for helping this little one.
airwalk
I live here

Postby HappyChick » November 20th, 2009, 11:36 am

Oh Christine - You always manage to find the ones who need you the most. Even if this puppy's life is very short, you are just the person to make sure he is cared for and loved during his brief time. I hate that you may have to make the decision to euthanize him, but that is far better than the fate that awaits him with his present "owners".

Good luck and good thoughts headed to you and the little one.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » November 20th, 2009, 3:40 pm

amazincc wrote:
Malli wrote:

IF they give him up and I end up w/him, and IF my vet recommends euthanasia, I plan on buying him a cheeseburger before it happens. My neighbor doesn't have the heart to go w/me,... and there is nobody else.
I'll know by tonight if they will let the puppy go to someone, and my neighbor will pick him up over the weekend.

Sucks though.

a cheeseburger is the way I would go, too. I would go with you if I were close.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » November 21st, 2009, 12:36 am

I'm pretty sure basic testing can be done on a puppy of any age - to see if it has no vision at all, as well as hearing. As far as how much he sees/doesn't see, he really would need to sit still as previously mentioned for an in-depth examination of the back of the eye. Adopted or euthanized, it's better than being drowned, still.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby LMM » November 21st, 2009, 12:52 am

Would a vet recommend euthanize because of deafness and blindness? I'm honestly asking because I don't know.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby call2arms » November 21st, 2009, 1:12 am

It depends on the vet, and what the owner is ready to do. Deaf or blind isn't so bad, but both... I've personally never seen it (not that I've been in the field for long, but just saying) except for elderly dogs. In these cases, the dogs seem to be either aloof or very owner-clingy, and often seem to rely on the other dog in the house to move around, somehow they sense their presence. My only reservation would be, with a puppy, if it seems like it will react defensively when touched, these guys get startled easily.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » November 21st, 2009, 1:18 am

in the end of it all, it is a dog with BIG challenges attached, and Christine has a ton on her plate already.

But I know we all agree that anything is probably better then where the puppy is.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health