Alpha roll...video tutorial...:)

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » November 19th, 2009, 10:54 am

I'm keeping the video link embedded in the page, so everyone can ready *why* this is not a good idea...but I had to share, as I love this video. It makes me laugh...here he's got a really biddable, calm Aussie...and watch as he fights the rolling (granted, he balks for just a second...). Can you imagine doing this if that dog didn't want to go down? :crazy2:

http://www.theorypedia.com/Dominance_Th ... 83fcb.html
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Hundilein » November 19th, 2009, 11:04 am

"This will ensure that your dog knows you are the boss". Or...option 2...this will ensure you are bitten in the face.

Maybe I am just vain, but I cannot imagine putting my face that close to a dog who is in the "red zone" on purpose.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby maberi » November 19th, 2009, 11:09 am

Good lord :shock:

No I can't imagine him doing that to a dog that didn't want to be rolled. It's frightening how close his face is to the dog.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby plebayo » November 19th, 2009, 11:15 am

Maybe I am just vain, but I cannot imagine putting my face that close to a dog who is in the "red zone" on purpose.

Not only that but he's showing the example on an Aussie who seems to know him, although even that dog kind of had a "What the hell?" When he rolled it, although it was probably more of a "Oh he's flipping me over again" moment.

For once I would like to see someone who supports the alpha roll do a video while the dog is trying to rip their face off. I guess I've seen Cesar Millan pin dogs down, or even roll them but he pretty much does it after he's cut their oxygen off, I mean - put them in a calm submissive state. :neener:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby kera09 » November 19th, 2009, 11:40 am

Eric (bf) has always submissed our dogs (when listening isnt an option) But only OUR dogs. i highly doubt hed do it to a redzone dog he didnt know. He growls at them too. I thought he was :crazy2: when i first saw it, but we have 3 pittys who get along and for the most part are well behaved.
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Dan+Bec13 » November 19th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Maddie was mine and Becca's first dog. We got her as a puppy, which in hindsight was a mistake, but the rescue we got her from is run by a scumbag who just wanted her out of his house. She was a very dominate dog and was the closest to a "red zone" that I have ever trained. We tried to do traditional type treat training, but she still thought she was the alpha in our pack. She would show teeth and bite, and I was bite twice pretty good by her. After the second time I began rolling her and using this type of method. I believe it saved us from having to give her up. I know this technique isn't the most popular, but I do feel that it has its place.

Please understand too that this was our first dog and we didn't have any other experience with training a dog. I now know better ways to go around training a dog, but at the time it became our only option.
Dan+Bec13
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » November 19th, 2009, 1:40 pm

plebayo wrote:I guess I've seen Cesar Millan pin dogs down, or even roll them but he pretty much does it after he's cut their oxygen off, I mean - put them in a calm submissive state. :neener:

:lol3: :spit:

I've got the scars to prove that rolling/downing an aggressive dog (even your own) is not the best method... :dance:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » November 19th, 2009, 1:50 pm

How to Get Your Face Chewed Off 101

This is like the people who say that you should pin nasty, dominant dogs in a down and straddle them to "show them that you are dominant." Yes, so that when they manage to get loose, the first thing they get their teeth on is your inner thigh.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » November 19th, 2009, 2:21 pm

mnp13 wrote:How to Get Your Face Chewed Off 101

This is like the people who say that you should pin nasty, dominant dogs in a down and straddle them to "show them that you are dominant." Yes, so that when they manage to get loose, the first thing they get their teeth on is your inner thigh.

Nothing better than a bite to the crotchal region!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » November 19th, 2009, 3:11 pm

too much Cesar Milan for that man, why does everyone have to talk like him? :|

Honestly, my biggest concern when I first heard of the alpha roll, was hurting the dog. Thats like tripping someone with their hands behind their back - ouch. My "professional dog trainer" "instructor" made me practice on Oscar and I hated it :(
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 19th, 2009, 5:48 pm

That poor sweet dog! And I loved his treat bag on his hip, 'cause he's obviously a big fan of positive reinforcement. :giggle:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » November 19th, 2009, 5:49 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:That poor sweet dog! And I loved his treat bag on his hip, 'cause he's obviously a big fan of positive reinforcement. :giggle:

OMG...I didn't notice that one! :lol3:

I was watching that patient Aussie...lol

TheRedQueen

Return to Training & Behavior