Body of Shaniya Davis found in Sanford, NC

Postby katiek0417 » November 17th, 2009, 10:20 am

A group of officers from the USVI who are in Sanford Training at Tarheel Canine were the ones who found the body...my good friend, Jeff Riccio (one of the trainers at Tarheel) was with them...

My heart goes out to Shaniya Davis's father and the rest of her family...

How they found her (video): http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/video?id=7121396

The video in this link actually has the footage from when they found her (about 5 minutes in), as well as an interview with Jeff (who is such a good guy, and I can't imagine what he's going through right now finding a body - he's not a cop)...http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?secti ... id=7120664

SANFORD, NC (WTVD) -- Volunteers found the body of missing 5-year-old Shaniya Davis Monday in a wooded area near Sanford. She had been the focus of a nationwide Amber Alert since last week.

The child's remains were located in an area bordered by Highway 87 south and Walker Road - just south of Sanford - during a second day of searching.

Fayetteville police spokesperson Theresa Chance said the body of a child was located about 100 feet off the road, but a positive ID had not been made. Chance told the media during a news conference that Davis' family would be called to the scene to make a positive identification if necessary.

SANFORD, NC (WTVD) -- Volunteers found the body of missing 5-year-old Shaniya Davis Monday in a wooded area near Sanford. She had been the focus of a nationwide Amber Alert since last week.

The child's remains were located in an area bordered by Highway 87 south and Walker Road - just south of Sanford - during a second day of searching.

Video: Reporter Shae Crisson was there when volunteers found the little girl

Fayetteville police spokesperson Theresa Chance said the body of a child was located about 100 feet off the road, but a positive ID had not been made. Chance told the media during a news conference that Davis' family would be called to the scene to make a positive identification if necessary.
Story continues below
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime scene investigators removed the little girl's body from the scene late Monday night. Detectives do not know if the child was killed in a different location than where the body was found.

Authorities are releasing few details about the findings or a cause of death.

The discovery wrapped up a search conducted by about 250 law enforcement officers and volunteers who used dogs, horses, and a helicopter to scour the woods after police got information about where to find the body.

Hundreds of people including Davis' father, Bradley Lockhart, came together Monday night to honor the little girl.

"I ask you to give me and everyone who loved poor Shaniya - my little baby, my angel - the strength to continue on," Lockhart told the crowd that gathered.

A makeshift memorial of toys, candles and flowers were left at the vigil off Murchison Road in Fayetteville in honor of Shaniya.

"I can't imagine this happening to my grandchild to my daughter, it's just sad so sad," Fayetteville resident Renee Tillman said.

Volunteers also held a candlelight vigil for the girl on Walker Road near where her body was found earlier in the day.

"It's not fair all the children to see violence right next to home and I hope she rest in peace and she's away from this evil world," volunteer Mary Belle Swann said.

"Like most people you have children or relatives that are young aged and you just want the best outcome. It's unfortunate that ended like it did," offered another volunteer Derrick Murchison.

"Davis' half-sister, Cheyenne Lockhart, talked to CNN Monday. She recalled Shaniya as a precious child and is stunned by her sister's death.

"She was just so loving, and caring," Cheyenne said. "She was always happy and giggling. You would never think somebody would do that to her. She's just the sweetest little girl."

Cheyenne said he knows Shaniya's mother and describes the woman as sweet. The teenager said she can't imagine Antoinette doing the things she's charged with doing.

Suspect in abduction arrested

Davis was last seen alive at a Comfort Suites hotel in Sanford last week - the same morning her mother reported her missing from her Fayetteville home. Police say a surveillance video from the hotel showed the child with 29-year-old Mario McNeill.

The area where police found the body is about seven miles from the hotel.
McNeill turned himself in Thursday night and police say he confessed to taking the 5-year-old. However, McNeill's attorney told reporters his client would plead not guilty.

Police arrested the child's mother, Antoinette Davis, Saturday. She is accused of human trafficking, prostitution and felony child abuse. Warrants say she provided her daughter with intent that the girl be held in sexual servitude.

Antoinette Davis showed no emotion during a court appearance in Fayetteville Monday afternoon. District Court Judge Tal Baggett made sure she understood the charges against her.

"The State of North Carolina alleges that on or about the date of November 10, 2009, that you did get engaged in human trafficking with a child as the victim," he told her. "The other charge of felony child abuse for prostitution is a class E felony. That is 98 months in prison. Do you understand that?"

Antoinette Davis' aunt, Yvonne Mitchell, was in the courtroom. She and other family members don't believe she is guilty of the charges. Mitchell said there were no signs Shaniya was in danger with her mother.

"I didn't see any. Every time I seen her, the kids were happy. She seemed happy. If there was anything wrong, it was being hid very good because I didn't notice it," she said.

Davis and McNeill are facing several charges, but right now those charges do not include murder.

Investigators say they are still trying to piece the case together.

Chance said detectives have been working to find Shaniya 24-hours-a-day since she was reported missing and they were in shock at the news that a body had been discovered.

"You always hold out hope," said Chance.

Meanwhile, a Facebook page was set up Monday for people to leave messages for the family and talk about the tragedy.

"You are in a safe place Shaniya and no one is gonna hurt u anymore. GOD BLESS," wrote Reva McPhaul.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby HappyChick » November 17th, 2009, 10:33 am

I'm so sorry to read this. I hoped she would be found alive and ok. My heart goes out to Shaniya's family and to your friend, Jeff.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby LMM » November 17th, 2009, 10:49 am

I was so saddened to see the report of this. Saddened and disgusted. This little girl was so beautiful and to think that she was so gravely betrayed by the one person who was supposed to be her champion, her protector, I just can't wrap my mind around it.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby madremissy » November 17th, 2009, 10:56 am

This whole story makes me sick to my stomach. I just can't imagine how anyone can do this to their own child. :(
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby mnp13 » November 17th, 2009, 11:29 am

They ban Pit Bulls because on in hundreds of thousands hurts a kid... 10 times that number of parents do stuff like this to their own children.

I can't think of a fitting punishment for this woman. Prison or death are too light of sentences.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » November 17th, 2009, 11:46 am

mnp13 wrote:I can't think of a fitting punishment for this woman. Prison or death are too light of sentences.

Give me about 12 hours with my soap in a sock with her.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » November 17th, 2009, 12:01 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:
mnp13 wrote:I can't think of a fitting punishment for this woman. Prison or death are too light of sentences.

Give me about 12 hours with my soap in a sock with her.

Is it spiked?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » November 17th, 2009, 1:04 pm

mnp13 wrote:
Is it spiked?

Well, of course!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Return to All the news that's fit to print