EXCESSIVE Whining

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby BullyLady » November 15th, 2009, 1:39 pm

PLEASE HELP! I AM READY TO SHOOT MY DOG! Okay, not really, but I am very very frustrated with her. Back in August we dog-sat a lab for three weeks who whined pretty much non stop. You know the sound, the high pitched back of the throat keening noise, but Shelby throws in some moaning and groaning too. Ever since then she has picked up the whining and it has been progressively getting worse. She has been really sick over the last two months and that has exacerbated the problem to the point where she now whines all the time.

She has always done it in her crate, that's a thing I hate about her, but now she does it any any time that things aren't going *exactly* as she would like them to be. I can't even bear to walk her anymore without an iPod, because she thinks she needs to be offleash and whines the WHOLE GODDAMN TIME. I'm about at the end of my wits. I use a verbal correction with the whining, but that is just plain not working. She will either whine right through the verbal correction, or she will stop as I correct and then immediately resume again. I haven't leashed her and used a physical correction because if I physically corrected her every time she whined, she would be getting hundreds and hundreds of corrections a night and that just doesn't seem right.

HELP!!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby BigDogBuford » November 15th, 2009, 6:48 pm

I have no advice for you, but I feel your pain. I *hate* that sound and honestly I'd much rather listen to barking than that whining....

She sounds anxious about something.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby cheekymunkee » November 15th, 2009, 7:17 pm

I feel your pain as well. Munkee is a screamer though & only does it if I am not in view of him. He will also chew his tail raw. The chewing is fairly new & he used to not cry unless he knew I was home but now he is doing it every time I leave the house. It may have something to do with the fact that we moved but still........I leave music on for him & he is in my room with all of my stuff but he doesnt seem to care. I am thinking about giving him benadryl when I leave for work every day to see if that will help.

Sorry I have no help for you. I hope you can find some relief
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby plebayo » November 15th, 2009, 7:28 pm

I think you should take her to the vet. There are several drugs out there to help with anxiety, there is clomicalm and alprazolam. The clomicalm I think might make your dog drowsey, the alprazolam does not make your dog sleepy and is supposed to make them feel like life is good.

Also a tired dog doesn't have time to whine. Maybe consider upping the exercise, perhaps try biking?
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby SvcDogSawyer » November 15th, 2009, 8:10 pm

Is she ever quiet? If/when she is capture that silence with a click/treat/praise or whatever you would do for good behavior. You could also try giving her a stuffed kong or something like it, maybe it will occupy her little brain for awhile.
John & Sawyer

"Damn Walkies"
SvcDogSawyer
Not Patrick's Nipple

Postby BullyLady » November 16th, 2009, 3:51 am

John, the Kong is a good idea! I think I might also switch her feeding into a treat ball when I don't have time for training.

I don't honestly think it's an anxiety thing, she is really even keeled dog and I can't think of any time she has ever showed true anxiety about anything. I think it's more of an excitability thing, like she wants to be go go go all the time, and if she isn't getting what she wants she thinks she can whine her way into it. I have been lax on her exercise because she hasn't ever been a dog that needed a ton of it, but that's a good suggestion I should probably up the exercise. That means I have to get off my big bum.... :oops: :giggle:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Dan+Bec13 » November 17th, 2009, 2:35 pm

With Maddie we would have a plastic jar with peppies in it and when we heard a whine we would huck it in her directions. We never hit her with it, but she stopped whining. Might not be the nicest of ways to do things, but it got a result. Good luck.
Dan+Bec13
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » November 17th, 2009, 9:49 pm

Dan+Bec13 wrote:With Maddie we would have a plastic jar with peppies in it and when we heard a whine we would huck it in her directions. We never hit her with it, but she stopped whining. Might not be the nicest of ways to do things, but it got a result. Good luck.

I'm not a big fan of this method, as it can create noise sensitivity in some dogs (I did this to a dog...it sucked). :neutral: It's also stopping a symptom, but not taking care of what's underlying that is causing the whining.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Dan+Bec13 » November 18th, 2009, 1:53 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:
Dan+Bec13 wrote:With Maddie we would have a plastic jar with peppies in it and when we heard a whine we would huck it in her directions. We never hit her with it, but she stopped whining. Might not be the nicest of ways to do things, but it got a result. Good luck.

I'm not a big fan of this method, as it can create noise sensitivity in some dogs (I did this to a dog...it sucked). :neutral: It's also stopping a symptom, but not taking care of what's underlying that is causing the whining.

I hear ya. We did it a long time ago when we were first trying to figure out the best way to train Maddie. It worked for her, but it might not be the best way for every dog.
Dan+Bec13
Just Whelped

Return to Pit Bull Talk