Can i keep an Irish Setter together with an Pitbull?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Silvi0 » November 13th, 2009, 9:04 am

I have a 2 1/2 months old female pitbull Tasha. We have it since it was 6 weeks old and we love her very much.

It happend that i got an 2 months old male irish setter(Pluto) now in the house. It has been 10 days now since they are living together. Some times when they play Tasha bites Pluto pretty bad and he runs away and hides but she doesn't stop until she finds him and bites again on his tail, legs, ears and neck, i don't know if they are fighting or playing but Pluto doesn't enjoy it so much.

Since i saw that on this forum there are allot o pitbull owners i decided to ask here for some advices.

Do you think Tasha will be agressive in the future towards Pluto ?
Should i keep both of them or give Pluto away ?
Silvi0
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » November 13th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Its not something that is set in stone, either Tasha or Pluto could decide that they do not like eachother at any time.
I personally would not allow Tasha to bully Pluto in such a manner.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Suzi » November 13th, 2009, 2:40 pm

Malli wrote:Its not something that is set in stone, either Tasha or Pluto could decide that they do not like eachother at any time.
I personally would not allow Tasha to bully Pluto in such a manner.

I agree...

If Pluto is not "game" to play, Tasha needs to get her manners about her...It is not play if Pluto dosen't like it....Pluto is still learning about his new life with you. Getting bullied is no fun :( ...
Suzi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » November 13th, 2009, 4:31 pm

Silvi0 wrote:I have a 2 1/2 months old female pitbull Tasha. We have it since it was 6 weeks old and we love her very much.

Sounds like Tasha didn't get a chance to learn proper "doggy etiquette" from her Mom and siblings, since you got her at a very young age... maybe some puppy classes would be helpful?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Silvi0 » November 16th, 2009, 5:34 am

- Things are looking better, it seems that they are starting to get along, Tasha doesn't bite so hard anymore, not even on my hand, maybe it's just that since I took her at a young age from her mother she didn't knew what was allowed and what wasn't and didn't had time to learn bite inhibition.

- Since Tasha doesn't bite so hard anymore, Pluto it's more eager to play with her now :)

- I just hope when they get older they will not fight over something.
Silvi0
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » November 16th, 2009, 2:09 pm

well, there is always a chance of a dog fight whenever you have more then one dog together ( of any kind).

Your safest option is to crate one of the two (or both) when you leave them at home alone or when they are unsupervised for longer periods.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Pit Bull Talk