"Aggressively Obsequious"

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby jcoffey917 » November 12th, 2009, 10:36 am

I'm stealing this from Liz's Patricia McConnell thread. I read the link below about aggressively obsequious dogs and thought this sounded just like Cooper! He's OBSESSIVE about playing- runs and jumps all over other dogs, chases them, tries to get them to chase him relentlessly, teases them with toys and runs away, play bows constantly, "boxes" them for attention when they won't play- he even used his paws to try and pick up my sister's mastiff off of the floor to keep playing with him- but then he'll run full speed ahead and flip over on his back, leap up and lick their lips incessantly. He seems like an aggressive player, but then he has these over the top exaggerated submissive moves. I always just said that he was a little bit socially "slow"- he doesn't get other dogs' body language telling him to back off and when they get tired and want to stop playing, he just won't let them. It is VERY rare that he will just leave the other dog along and play by himself or rest for a few minutes, he has to keep pestering them... any thoughts on how to calm him down with other dogs? There are really only 3 dogs that he plays with and so far we just let them play until the other dog gets annoyed or too tired and then Cooper goes in his crate, but it would be nice if I could have my sister's come over with their dogs and we could let them play in the house instead of outside- right now we mainly stick to outside bc Cooper is a maniac and knocks everything over inside. :|

"Re: Patricia McConnell DVD
by pitbullmamaliz on November 11th, 2009, 9:04 pm

I ended up ordering this - got it today and watched it today. It was excellent, though I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it! But it was definitely worth $40.

It's a video of one of her seminars. It focuses a lot on work from her Feisty Fido book. The information/exercises given weren't earth-shattering, but were simple and made a lot of sense. She worked with some dogs that were reactive so you could actually see the exercises in action. She was an absolute riot to watch and I was laughing out loud throughout several parts of the video.

Near the end she was discussing dog-dog aggression in the home, and she mentioned one of my favorite terms ever - "aggressively obsequious." If you go to her blog she describes it ( http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/ag ... bsequious/ ) but it essentially describes dogs that come across as "submissive" but in a truly "in your face" kind of way. Describes Inara to a T - if one of her doggy friends snarks at her, she dramatically flips onto her back and then leaps up and immediately licks the other dog's mouth - for minutes on end if permitted. She's quite annoyingly submissive sometimes! But I just always loved the term aggressively obsequious.

Any way, this was a great video and I'm very glad I ordered it. I also now know that I would LOVE to make it to one of her seminars one day."
jcoffey917
Just Whelped

Postby maberi » November 12th, 2009, 5:03 pm

There are some good videos out there (I have one at home I'll have to dig up) that show the different play styles with different breeds. I don't think it is written in stone that every pit bull plays in the manner you are describing (rough and tumble), but it is something many people make reference to in the breed.

I know that my guys play very rough with one another and Earl who has grown up with bully breeds of one sort or another actually plays like that now as well. Because my guys only play with each other or a select few others, I don't really give it much thought. They are very good at moderating their play if one gets a bit out of hand and one of them gets hurt.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Return to Training & Behavior