Whoa

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby BigDogBuford » November 3rd, 2009, 5:42 pm

~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 3rd, 2009, 5:45 pm

That truly is sad. :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » November 4th, 2009, 3:44 am

:(
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » November 12th, 2009, 2:30 am

Another update:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... cation=rss

Details emerge in the case of the missing dog trainer to the stars

The whereabouts of a prominent Skagit County dog trainer remain unknown, but the evidence points to homicide. His ex-wife's boyfriend has been charged with murder. Meanwhile, details about Mark Stover's recent life and divorce are starting to emerge.

By GENE JOHNSON

The Associated Press

Related

* Archive | Ex-wife's boyfriend charged in dog trainer's slaying
* Archive | Stover Explores The Human And Canine Condition -- T. Mark Stover Dog Psychoanalyst Mercer Island

ANACORTES — Mark Stover was the Pacific Northwest's dog-trainer-to-the-stars. He taught obedience to the pets of Pearl Jam and Nirvana, Starbucks Chairman Howard Schultz and Seattle Mariners outfielder Ichiro Suzuki. He also trained his own dog, Dingo — for protection.

But when Stover's killer came last month, there was nothing Dingo could do.

She was shot in the face, and when deputies arrived, the only signs of her master were smears of blood in a downstairs bedroom and hallway.

Investigators have yet to find Stover's body, but prosecutors have charged his ex-wife's boyfriend with murder in a case that may have stemmed from their divorce two years ago.

Stover's friends said they knew little about the breakup but believed he had moved on and was engaged to another woman when he disappeared.

"We never talked about that — just about the dogs," said Anacortes police animal-control officer Marie Padovan. "Dogs that were uncontrollable would go to Mark and they could be controlled. It's a big loss for all of us dog people."

Stover, 57, and ex-wife Linda Opdycke, 45, opened Island Dog Adventures in the early 1990s on an island her wealthy family owned 55 miles north of Seattle. Opdycke's father was one of the founders of Washington's biggest winery, Chateau Ste. Michelle.

The kennel offered massages, pedicures, a raw-meat diet and weight-loss programs. The dogs roamed the island freely. Clients included Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder; former Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic; Soundgarden's Chris Cornell; moviemaker Cameron Crowe and his wife, singer Nancy Wilson of the '70s group Heart; and Costco Corp. CEO Jim Sinegal. Suzuki brought his Shiba Inu there.

"People should have it so good," Cornell told Spin magazine upon a 1996 visit to the island, where he boarded two German shepherds.

Novoselic said Stover worked wonders with his two big mutts. Once, the bassist left the dogs untied outside a convenience store. They didn't so much as lift their heads when police officers arrived to confront a group of loitering youngsters.

"I was really proud of them, and that's all because of Mark's training," he said.

Stover's friends said he saved many aggressive dogs from destruction by correcting their behavior. His secret, he claimed, was his knowledge of dog psychology and pack behavior. He routinely wore dark glasses, making it tough for people or dogs to read his eyes, and he played the role of the alpha male naturally.

advertising

When Opdycke filed for divorce, Stover refused to hire a lawyer, claiming he didn't need to go through anyone else to deal with someone he'd loved for so long. He agreed with her on dividing their assets: He would pay $175,000 for her share of the business; she would get the SUV and the horse trailer; he would get the Porsche and BMW.

And he agreed to move the business off the island, which the state is buying for a park.

In early 2008, Opdycke took out a restraining order against Stover, accusing him of harassment. She claimed he showed up at her home uninvited and that a neighbor had caught him going through her garbage — for which he was arrested. He was always armed, she said, and when he canceled her health insurance, he mailed her a copy of the form on which he had scrawled, "Next time do not call the cops on the guy that controls your health care."

Opdycke, who earlier this year became a private investigator, didn't return a message seeking comment.

On Oct. 28, a neighbor of Stover's reported a trespassing at a grange hall a half-mile from Stover's house. Two cars were parked out back — one was Stover's, and the other belonged to Opdycke's boyfriend, Michiel Oakes, authorities said. The neighbor reported that a man by the cars — Oakes, it turned out — had a large piece of plastic.

A deputy later saw Oakes' car and pulled him over. Oakes said he had stopped in at the grange to make a call. The deputy noted dog hair on his sleeve and piles of blankets in the back, and warned him not to trespass, according to court papers.

The next morning, Stover's fiancée reported him missing. At the house, his employees found Dingo, a Belgian Malinois, bleeding profusely from gunshot wounds. (The dog is now recovering.) A bathroom reeked of bleach.

A sheriff's deputy found Oakes and Opdycke at her home. Oakes asked to go outside and get some medicine out of his car, then threw a plastic bag containing a .22-caliber pistol over an embankment, authorities said. He was also carrying a 9 mm pistol.

His attorney, John Henry Browne, said Opdycke was "deathly afraid" of Stover, and he called the case "a big whodunit." Investigators have not said whether they believe Opdycke was involved.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » November 12th, 2009, 3:38 am

what an awful end to what sounds like what was a new start on life.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » November 12th, 2009, 8:22 am

That's so sad. :( Glad to hear that Dingo is "recovering", though.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby kera09 » November 12th, 2009, 11:45 am

that is so sad! peope make me sick!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » November 13th, 2010, 2:03 pm

Michiel Oakes guilty of first degree murder:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/105564298.html

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. - The man accused of killing a celebrity Northwest dog trainer was found guilty of first-degree murder on Friday.

Jurors delivered the verdict in Skagit County Superior Court after deliberating behind closed doors for four days.

The defendant, Michiel Oakes, was accused of killing Mark Stover, a dog trainer whose clients included rock stars, moviemaker Cameron Crowe, Starbucks chairman Howard Schultz and Mariners outfielder Ichiro Suzuki.

Oakes and his attorney, John Henry Browne, maintained throughout the trial that he killed Stover in self-defense after the dog trainer came at him with a handgun.

The defendant testified that Stover's gun went off during a struggle between the two of them at Stover's home, killing Stover but sparing him because he was wearing a bullet-proof vest.

In a panic, Oakes said he dumped Stover's body in the water near Anacortes because he didn't think police would believe his version of what happened. Stover's body has never been found.

But Prosecutor Rich Weyerich said that Oakes planned the murder of Stover then carefully covered up the crime by weighting down his body and dumping it off a pier.

Prosecutors pointed out that surveillance video at a Walmart captured Oakes buying anchor line and ankle weights just before the shooting.

Oakes was the bodyguard-turned-boyfriend of Stover's ex-wife, Linda Opdycke. Opdycke hired Oakes after obtaining a restraining order against Stover, saying he was violent and that she feared he would attack her.

"I'm glad that they saw through that," said Guy Palumbo, Stover's friend. "He may have acted inappropriately during the divorce proceedings but he was a good person he was nowhere near the monster that they said."

Jurors began deliberating on Tuesday, and was tasked with considering an extensive amount of evidence submitted in the case.

"I was not in the jury room but after four days you've got to believe that there were some jurors that were saying not guilty," said Oakes' attorney Corbin Volluz.

Oakes faces up to 27 years in prison when he is sentenced.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby iluvk9 » November 13th, 2010, 4:00 pm

Well if Karma hasn't gotten him yet, I am glad the justice system did.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » November 14th, 2010, 6:08 pm

Wow... unreal...

And the dog being shot in the head is the unfortunate side of protection dog work - she was doing her job against the attacker.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » November 14th, 2010, 6:18 pm

mnp13 wrote:Wow... unreal...

And the dog being shot in the head is the unfortunate side of protection dog work - she was doing her job against the attacker.

Dingo actually survived and is living with Mark's girlfriend.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Previous

Return to Off-Topic