Having to re-home my baby ): VENT!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Muttkip » November 10th, 2009, 12:33 am

Due to some major life changes, I'm having to re-home my beloved Beagle Mr. Bojangles. I already made plans for him to go live with my best friend (whom is only 16) and her mother. They live in SC, near where I will be living for about 2.5 months. They have a female GSD and two cats already. LUCKILY Beau LOVES cats and gets along VERY well with dogs.

I don't wanna be bashed for having to re-home my baby, I know dogs are a life-long commitment and I know that he is mine and I shouldn't be doing this to him. I don't have a choice. I love my dog so damn much. It's killing me to do this. I've had him since I was 14 years old and I'm now almost 21. He just turned 7 and I've had him since he was 6 months old. I rescued him actually. He's my heart dog and the love of my life. I couldn't live without him really. He's my child. But I have noi choice, it's what's best for him and me.

See I'm joining the US Army and I can't let him stay at home with my family. We have three dogs inculding Beau, plus a cat and a bird. Beau is MY dog, I pay for everything for him. I pay his vet bills, food, collars, chains, toys, grooming, etc. I trained him myself. I'm currently working on getting his CGC and hoping to get him ceritfied as a therapy dog, as well training him in weight pulling. My friend is going to do these things with him, due to her dog not be able to. She wants a dog that she can take places and work with. I'm getting side-tracked.

My point is I can't keep him at home with my family. Our westie and him HATE each other with a PASSION! We are on a crate and rotate system right now. And most of the time poor Beau gets the short end of the stick. He has to stay outside on his zip-line, even though he grew up as a house dog. And my mom would let him get fat and not take him to get his shots or anything.

I'm hoping I'm not going to get bashed for having to re-home my dog, due to me joining the military. He's going to a great home. But it's killing me knowing I have to this.

Thanks to everyone who read this.....I needed to vent

Muttkip
Just Whelped

Postby furever_pit » November 10th, 2009, 12:55 am

IM very HO, rehoming an animal is nothing to be smited for. Lives change, dogs change, arrangements have to change. The dogs can take it. I wish the absolute best for your pup and for you. Stay safe and thank you for everything you have done/will do for our country.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby madremissy » November 10th, 2009, 12:59 am

:hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Muttkip » November 10th, 2009, 1:30 am

furever_pit wrote:IM very HO, rehoming an animal is nothing to be smited for. Lives change, dogs change, arrangements have to change. The dogs can take it. I wish the absolute best for your pup and for you. Stay safe and thank you for everything you have done/will do for our country.

Thank you for that! It made me feel alot better about this. I just feel so guilty I guess is the word about it, because he's pretty much been my world for 6 1/2 years. I hope that made sense.
Muttkip
Just Whelped

Postby Muttkip » November 10th, 2009, 1:32 am

madremissy wrote::hug3:

:hug3:
Muttkip
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » November 10th, 2009, 7:21 am

Well, first of all...THANK YOU FOR JOINING THE MILITARY AND PROTECTING EVERY ONE OF US.

And second of all, I think it is terrific that you have planned for a new home for Mr. Bojangles. I am sure he will do just FINE there!

And third...(because I like to give unasked for sage wisdom...) Do not allow "guilt" to enter your mind. Guilt is brought on by our THINKING we have to live up to the standards, values and morals of others. You know what? Not so much. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » November 10th, 2009, 7:29 am

iluvk9 wrote:THANK YOU FOR JOINING THE MILITARY AND PROTECTING EVERY ONE OF US.

Ditto! Stay safe.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » November 10th, 2009, 9:42 am

Kudos for having a well thought out plan for him...stay safe :hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Pit♥bull » November 10th, 2009, 9:55 am

iluvk9 wrote:THANK YOU FOR JOINING THE MILITARY AND PROTECTING EVERY ONE OF US.

X10 :)
I'm sure it will all work out well.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby HappyChick » November 10th, 2009, 10:55 am

IMO you have nothing to feel guilty about. You made an honorable choice in joining the military (Thank you very much!) and you have made provisions for your dog. I think it's great that you realize he would not get the care you want him to have in his current home, so have made arrangements for a better situation for him.

I've heard several stories about young people enlisting and needing to re-home their dogs. You are not the only one by any means.

Good luck and stay safe!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » November 10th, 2009, 11:02 am

Kudos for having a well thought out plan for him...stay safe :hug3:

x2!

You really have nothing to feel guilty or weird about. It would be a different story if you hadn't made a plan for your boy, you know like the people on craigslist frantically posting "OMG need to rehome my dog because I'm moving in 2 days!" You've obviously put a lot of thought into the well being of Beau and I only wish more people put that much thought into their pet's future.

Thank you also for serving your country :)
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby mnp13 » November 10th, 2009, 1:35 pm

In my mind, there are reasons that are "ok" for rehoming, and reasons that are not. I am a judgmental person, and I don't apologize for that.

This reason makes sense in the grand scheme of things since your mother would be the primary care giver and she doesn't seem to want the dog. You're 21 and joining the military, you obviously can't take him with you.

This is one of those "why Michelle thinks kids shouldn't be the primary owner of pets" things, but that's neither here nor there because you've had him for 7 years and have been a responsible owner. However, it's time for a major life change, and you can't "make" your mom step up to the plate.

I think it's fantastic that your friend is taking him. Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to look out for him, sooo many people just don't bother. Fort Drum is about two hours north of us, and at deployment time the shelter and rescues up there get flooded with pets because people just don't think ahead.

Thanks for joining the military, please stay safe, and I hope you're able to keep in touch here!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » November 10th, 2009, 6:02 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Well, first of all...THANK YOU FOR JOINING THE MILITARY AND PROTECTING EVERY ONE OF US.

And second of all, I think it is terrific that you have planned for a new home for Mr. Bojangles. I am sure he will do just FINE there!

And third...(because I like to give unasked for sage wisdom...) Do not allow "guilt" to enter your mind. Guilt is brought on by our THINKING we have to live up to the standards, values and morals of others. You know what? Not so much. :dance:

100% Ditto and Amen!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Muttkip » November 10th, 2009, 11:54 pm

THANK YOU GUYS SOOOO MUCH!!!! For your kind words and wishes! It makes me feel better knowing I'm not be bashed or judged for looking out for my baby boy!

I will try and stay in contact here as much as possible!!!
Muttkip
Just Whelped

Postby hugapitbull » November 11th, 2009, 6:15 am

You have made very wise choices. To choose to protect us all is awesome in itself. To realize your family isn't the right place for Beau and then find him a loving home is more than awesome.

Beau will be fine. It may take some time for him to adjust, but he will know he is in a loving home. And he's with your friend, you'll see him when you are home :)

Stay safe. Be strong. We will all be with you in spirit.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby dogged » November 11th, 2009, 8:57 am

iluvk9 wrote:Well, first of all...THANK YOU FOR JOINING THE MILITARY AND PROTECTING EVERY ONE OF US.

x100. All the best to you and Mr. Bojangles.
"Hey, I'm glad I found you. I need your approval to cut down some lollipop trees outside the sea monkey hut. These decisions have to go through you because you're the mayor of crazy town."
dogged
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk