Um...Jackuul?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Jackuul » October 4th, 2009, 11:27 pm

Here's one downside I have noticed. So far I have stuck with desert species (they are hardy) and their relatives. However, these God forsaken gnats (fungus gnats, not phorid flies - which would be bad bad bad) have been popping out EVERYWHERE because some of the soil I use is moist from many different causes (mostly just stuff that never dried out from months ago) and so I have had to make extra efforts to dry the damnable stuff out.

The reason I have them? The dirt came with them. When I buy a bag of sterile dirt I expect dirt without the mother********* gnats!

So, I need to figure a way to sterilize it without ruining a microwave, or making a smelly nightmare in the oven (cooking the dirt, not the spider, am not retarded). I can't use pesticides or anything of that sort, and all the expensive isopods I got have died because I am not good at isopod care. Eff isopods. I'll breed my own when I find some pillbugs. They eat fungus.

So, if anyone has any good ideas for drying out dirt faster than waiting on Jesus to bring the Pork Chops (in joke for anyone who read the book) I am open to suggestions.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » October 5th, 2009, 5:54 am

Jackuul wrote:Here's one downside I have noticed.

:giggle: Only ONE downside to owning spiders?

So, if anyone has any good ideas for drying out dirt faster

Can you just put it in the oven? :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » October 5th, 2009, 9:48 am

How much dirt do you need to dry out?

I would spread it out in the thinnest layer possible on newspaper and let it air dry, and put a fan near by to get air moving in the room. It will dry pretty quickly that way. Do you have a small room heater? That would help as well. The thinner the layer the faster it will dry out. I would do it in the bathroom with the fan on to help with the smell if you use a room heater.

I can't imagine how bad it would reek to put it in the oven :puke:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jackuul » October 27th, 2009, 2:25 pm

Good news everyone! I've just blown up Newark!

No, not really, but I bet you're reading this in his voice now if you have seen the show.

Anyways, I dried the dirt out by setting it atop my computer in a shallow dish, and waited for a week. The computer is warm (but since I am a computer geek it never overheats) and a week later, it was dry. I moved Missy into a temporary home while it dried out, so now she is in her new much drier home, and she is much happier. No wall climbing, and no lid-clinging. Plus... she molted! That little one is getting less little every time she molts, so in another three to four months there may be yet another molting, and a bigger size increase.

Two of my slings have also molted for the second time now (Epsilon and Delta) and they're getting bigger. Poor little Gamma molted, but grew in the opposite direction I think. It is really tiny compared to its siblings, and it still worries me since it wont eat.

Sweetie, the one I speak of the most, is officially in pre-molt. She should be molting in the next week to year, since she's a species that is pretty much "I will when I want to... even if it takes me a year".

Everyone's habitat is dry dry dry and the gnats are gone for now. When Sweetie does molt I will come back with many pictures. She will be very pretty, like Miss Charlotte (my sibling's spider) which after molting was a brilliant red and black, with great contrast. I'll see if I can snap a pic of it too later on. Sweetie, though, will come out very brown, since she is a G. porteri (They did some classification changes recently, so the roses that were brown are now recognized as being very different). Even in pre-molt she still lets me handle her without issue.

Ms. Fuzzy is still a b*tch.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 27th, 2009, 2:28 pm

Even though spiders give me the heebie jeebies (I've tried to like them, I really have!) I really enjoy your updates on your crew!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » October 27th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Love the updates, too! :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jackuul » November 5th, 2009, 4:32 pm

Spider Update!

With Pictures.

Sweetie, as of today, has not molted yet. However, she is still pretty :)

ImageImageImageImageImage

Here is Cherry
Here is Ms Fuzzy

And finally, here is Charlotte, after molt taken today. She is very pretty :)

Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 5th, 2009, 4:38 pm

I like Ms. Fuzzy's white furs!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TinaMartin » November 5th, 2009, 5:19 pm

They are very pretty.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Jackuul » November 8th, 2009, 1:39 pm

TinaMartin wrote:They are very pretty.

Thank you :)

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I like Ms. Fuzzy's white furs!

She is pretty, but I wouldn't hold her ever until she changes her attitude about the water dish being cleaned or refilled. She's grabbed on to it and tried to keep it there from me recently. She also tries to steal the paint brushes I use to herd them with into their hides whenever I do any tank work.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby Jackuul » November 8th, 2009, 7:39 pm

Warning: Baby Spider Ahead!

Here is Missy (Grammostola pulchra, "Brazilian Black") the small sling I had mentioned I got being disturbed by me, trying to run away from me, and then realizing it was food time. Then it stopped running away.

Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby Jackuul » November 29th, 2009, 2:25 pm

SWEETIE IS MOLTING!

I'm excited and scared for her. I will post pictures as things develop. She's flipped on her back and assumed the molting position, and has begun to wiggle ever 2 minutes or so.

She's fat and hydrated, so I just hope her molt is issue free.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby Jackuul » November 29th, 2009, 2:45 pm

Taken 10 minutes ago.

This is the beginning of the process, I watched her slowly turn herself onto her back. This position allows for the legs and lower portion of the exuvium to be pushed off, while the top part of the carapace will pop off under her. If all goes well, it will be a clean molt with no issues.

Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » November 29th, 2009, 6:28 pm

I just read a detective/thriller novel where the "bad" guy had spiders...pretty cool...and I was all happy because I recognized some of the names from your posts! *pats self on back* One in the book was molting, and the guy was worried about her...it's cool to see a pic of the molt! :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Marinepits » November 29th, 2009, 6:37 pm

Whoa, that is really neat!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » November 29th, 2009, 6:38 pm

Wow!

It's kinda creepy, but exciting... all at the same time. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Jackuul » November 30th, 2009, 12:38 am

I am suspending picture updates until I know if she is okay. She hasn't done anything since flipping, and I am now very worried.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » November 30th, 2009, 12:54 am

Jackuul wrote:I am suspending picture updates until I know if she is okay. She hasn't done anything since flipping, and I am now very worried.

What does that mean? :neutral:
Remember you are talking to a non-spider person...
Is she going to be alright? Is there anything you can do to help her?

Keeping my fingers crossed for her, starting right now. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Jackuul » November 30th, 2009, 2:00 am

amazincc wrote:
Jackuul wrote:I am suspending picture updates until I know if she is okay. She hasn't done anything since flipping, and I am now very worried.

What does that mean? :neutral:
Remember you are talking to a non-spider person...
Is she going to be alright? Is there anything you can do to help her?

Keeping my fingers crossed for her, starting right now. :hug3:

Flipping means turning up-side down. They do that so they can molt easier.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » November 30th, 2009, 2:03 am

Well, I knew that... :wink:

What is she supposed to do... wriggle out of it? Can spiders die when they molt?
Has she moved at all since you last posted?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic