Sinonasal Carcinoma

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 6th, 2009, 3:43 pm

plebayo wrote:I am going to continue with the chemo and spend as much time as I can with her in the mean time. We could have 6 months or we could have another couple of years. Regardless we're just going to keep going.

I think that's a really great attitude to take. At least now you know exactly what you're dealing with. :hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Pit♥bull » November 6th, 2009, 3:51 pm

Poor baby :(

Wishing you and Sofie the best and sending more :goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » November 6th, 2009, 3:55 pm

I am glad that you have a better understanding of what you're dealing with... that has to take a little bit of the stress away. The "unknown" is always so much scarier to handle, I think. :neutral:

And I agree w/Liz... you and Sofie have great attitudes, and I'm rooting for "another couple of years" for both of you!!! :wink: :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TinaMartin » November 6th, 2009, 4:33 pm

Hopefully she can be comfortable and have a few god years more. I am glad that you now know what you are dealing with now. Give her a big hug for me.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby HappyChick » November 6th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Like everyone else, I think you have a great attitude. I'm also really glad you have a better picture of what you are dealing with. I hate the unknown. Hopefully the chemo will do it's job well.

Have you looked into supplements, diet changes, etc. to go along with everything else you are doing? PM me if I can help.

Good luck to you and Sofie! :hug3:
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby hugapitbull » November 6th, 2009, 7:10 pm

You are doing an 'awesome' job of making critical decisions and keeping your wits about you. I so admire your strength, it takes so much emotionally to deal with canine cancer.

I, like you, believe the chemo is doing some good if you are seeing improvement. Enjoy each and every day you have been awarded with her. She's a gem.

More good thoughts for Sophie, and strength for you.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby CinderDee » November 6th, 2009, 7:23 pm

You really do have a wonderful attitude. It's so important to stay positive, imo. I hope you & Sofie have many more years together.

Hugs to you both! :hug3:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby plebayo » November 6th, 2009, 11:52 pm

You are doing an 'awesome' job of making critical decisions and keeping your wits about you. I so admire your strength, it takes so much emotionally to deal with canine cancer.

Well, thank you. I really don't think I could be this strong without this board. I mean a lot of my decisions have been based off of your stories and without your support I think all of this would be much harder to accept. Not to mention my parents are the kind of people who not only don't have much money, but even if they did I know if I didn't have a job/wasn't an "adult" they would not even attempt paying for chemo. My mom even gave me a hard time about doing an MRI because "she's old and she's going to die anyway". I told her she needs to consider the fact herself because she is old and she's just going to die anyway ;) It's just good to talk to people going through something similar, or at least dog people who realize they aren't "just dogs". That isn't to say my parents are totally unsupportive, I know they feel bad for Sofie and they do love her, but they view animals differently than I do.

Thank you all for the reassurance. I will say it does take a huge weight off of my shoulders knowing what we are up against. I feel a lot more hopeful and we'll see how our next rounds of chemo and such go. I'm hoping for a good couple of years too, at the very least it would be great if she made it to and through summer so she could go camping!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Marinepits » November 6th, 2009, 11:56 pm

plebayo wrote: My mom even gave me a hard time about doing an MRI because "she's old and she's going to die anyway". I told her she needs to consider the fact herself because she is old and she's just going to die anyway ;)

:D HA! I need to remember that line.....
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Brownies Mom » November 7th, 2009, 2:05 pm

plebayo wrote:Well, thank you. I really don't think I could be this strong without this board. I mean a lot of my decisions have been based off of your stories and without your support I think all of this would be much harder to accept. Not to mention my parents are the kind of people who not only don't have much money, but even if they did I know if I didn't have a job/wasn't an "adult" they would not even attempt paying for chemo. My mom even gave me a hard time about doing an MRI because "she's old and she's going to die anyway". I told her she needs to consider the fact herself because she is old and she's just going to die anyway ;) It's just good to talk to people going through something similar, or at least dog people who realize they aren't "just dogs". That isn't to say my parents are totally unsupportive, I know they feel bad for Sofie and they do love her, but they view animals differently than I do.

Thank you all for the reassurance. I will say it does take a huge weight off of my shoulders knowing what we are up against. I feel a lot more hopeful and we'll see how our next rounds of chemo and such go. I'm hoping for a good couple of years too, at the very least it would be great if she made it to and through summer so she could go camping!

I understand what you are saying about your parents, and that what they have to offer doesn't reach the depths of what you need. But it is still important because they love you and I'm glad you can accept whatever they are capable of giving in terms of support. I'm sure they're doing the best they can. I didn't tell very many people how much money I had spent/was spending when I was treating Brownie. I knew most of them wouldn't understand. I would just say it was alot, but "I don't want the money. I want the dog." It does help to have friends who are "those kind of dog people" :wave2: who understand how much this affects your life, how much you love Sofie, and how much she means to you. (((hugs))) to you and Sofie.
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Postby plebayo » November 10th, 2009, 10:06 pm

I would just say it was alot, but "I don't want the money. I want the dog." It does help to have friends who are "those kind of dog people" :wave2: who understand how much this affects your life, how much you love Sofie, and how much she means to you. (((hugs))) to you and Sofie.

That right there is so true, I want my dog and I want to do right by my dog. Thanks for the hugs I sent them her way :)

We drew blood today and Sofie's CBC came back as normal, White Blood Cell count is good, she is however suffering a side effect of the chemo. She is super, super, super itchy! To the point she started getting a hot spot on her butt, I completely shaved her, I wasn't going to but with the itching I wasn't sure what else to do, just means I'll have to buy her some more clothes! Anyway I'm hoping it doesn't last too long.

Also [and btw the itching started before this change] I have started feeding her a homemade diet high in fat and protein, little to no carbs. I talked to Vinny's mom over the phone [she's amazing!] and thought that a diet change was in order just to help her live out her life however long that may be. I am also looking into a holistic thing called Neoplasene[derived from blood root?] but what we read about it today it may not be as "amazing" as they say it is.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Brownies Mom » November 10th, 2009, 10:54 pm

plebayo wrote:We drew blood today and Sofie's CBC came back as normal, White Blood Cell count is good, she is however suffering a side effect of the chemo. She is super, super, super itchy!

Maybe you could try benadryl? :| I would ask the vet that is in charge of the chemo. It couldn't hurt.
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Postby plebayo » November 11th, 2009, 12:09 am

Maybe you could try benadryl? :| I would ask the vet that is in charge of the chemo. It couldn't hurt.

Thanks for the suggestion :) I gave her some the other day and didn't seem to see much of a change but I'll talk to my vet about it. The spray I'm using soothes the itch as well, so maybe with the benedryl it'll get her over this reaction.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby hugapitbull » November 11th, 2009, 6:04 am

Something I thought I would share at this point. I, too, was ready to jump right up and change diets, but my very wise vet was able to persuade me not to. Trouble, as everyone knows is an 'allergy' dog, and this played into the picture. Dr F advised me to not change ANYTHING during the chemo because it would make it difficult to determine if any change in symptoms was related to the drug, food, or to other changes being made. Made sense to me. He did not discourage me from changing food once the chemo was complete.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby plebayo » November 11th, 2009, 11:21 am

Something I thought I would share at this point. I, too, was ready to jump right up and change diets, but my very wise vet was able to persuade me not to. Trouble, as everyone knows is an 'allergy' dog, and this played into the picture. Dr F advised me to not change ANYTHING during the chemo because it would make it difficult to determine if any change in symptoms was related to the drug, food, or to other changes being made. Made sense to me. He did not discourage me from changing food once the chemo was complete.

Thanks for your input :) I talked to my vet and he didn't see a problem with it, although he didn't support it because he doesn't think that diets with cancer as a focus work. He wasn't even in support of the Hill's n/d - which we carry. I guess from my view I really don't care whether it works or not, but it's worth trying.

Sofie really has no allergies other than to fleas, which was what I initially thought with the itching was that she had to have gotten bitten by a flea[it only takes one for her.]. However I was thinking about it and it started after she got the Carboplatin and when I talked to my vet he said it was most likely a reaction to the chemo. I would agree in most situations it's probably best to let things be, especially if your dog is sensitive to changes be it food or otherwise. I also agree that before anyone makes any kind of drastic changes they should consult with their vet first, especially while they are getting chemo.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby HappyChick » November 11th, 2009, 1:04 pm

I thought I'd just pop in and say that I encouraged Suzanne to consult with her vet/oncologist before making any dietary or supplement changes. I was given that advice regarding Vinny and it is good advice to pass on. I definitely don't want any dog who is going through chemo to have allergy issues or other issues pop up because of dietary changes. Vinny has done very well with his dietary changes and his hot spot is not due to allergies. It's due in part to somebody shaving his hair too close for an IV and razor burning his skin.

Suzanne - I'm glad to read about Sofie's good blood work! In light of what Vinny is now dealing with, please keep a close eye on that hot spot and keep it healed if you can.

Great job Suzanne and Sofie!!! :hug3:
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » November 11th, 2009, 4:42 pm

Suzanne - I'm glad to read about Sofie's good blood work! In light of what Vinny is now dealing with, please keep a close eye on that hot spot and keep it healed if you can.

I am definitely watching it. After I shaved her I bathed her in some shampoo it's by Isle of Dogs Evening Primrose Oil Shampoo Veterinary Grade. It is supposed to promote healing of skin. I've been using a Gentimicin/Betamethasone spray on the lick lesions and it is starting to go away. She is also not licking or chewing at her butt anymore. I'm hoping this isn't going to be her reaction every time, I don't know what's worse feeling like poop or being itchy, or I guess being itchy AND feeling like poop!

I should add any changes be it diet or medication are all monitored by my veterinarian, who I work for. He's cool enough that while I am at work I can ask him questions or get his input on things so even though I mentioned talking to Angie I also consulted with my vet as well. I recommend to anyone reading this to fill your vet in on any information you find on your own and see what they have to say. I wouldn't necessarily expect full support, especially if you're looking at unconventional methods but your vet should be able to tell you if it is worth/or safe to give whatever it is you're wanting to try a shot.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » November 11th, 2009, 6:36 pm

Suzanne, you are a wonderful dog owner and doing a GREAT JOB! :hug3:

(And I will be your surrogate Mother, as long as you don't need me to cook you food or stuff like that.)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » November 11th, 2009, 9:58 pm

Suzanne, you are a wonderful dog owner and doing a GREAT JOB!

Well thank you, I try anyway.

(And I will be your surrogate Mother, as long as you don't need me to cook you food or stuff like that.)

Well, since I started cooking for sofie i have learned to cook chicken and chilli, I could cook for you!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby plebayo » November 16th, 2009, 1:59 am

Well, I really didn't want to post about this, but I feel if I talk about it it'll get it off my chest and I won't be so worried about it.

First of all, Sofie's skin was looking great until Thursday night. She was at my parents all day while I was at work. When I brought her home Thursday night I could feel bumps all over her. I shaved a large portion of her hind end and there were red bumps all over! I had my vet look at her, he of course tried to give me a hard time and say she had fleas. When I said there's no way he said that I must have shaved her too close, which again isn't possible because I shave her all the time, with a 10 blade in reverse. You really only get a rash if you shave with a 40 blade. Basically, she has a full blown skin infection. She's on cephalexin 250mg 2x a day for 7 days.

Saturday I talked to our other veterinarian [we have 3 on staff], he's usually pretty good about not messing with me and giving me a straight answer. Either she is having a reaction to the carboplatin, OR she really did get bit by a flea - she's the type of dog who will get itchy with one bite. Which then means the chemo just made the reaction 10 times worse because it wipes out the immune system. I am willing to try one more round of carboplatin, if it makes her itchy again we will NOT be using it. Doctor #2 said she could very well be sensitive to the chemo itself.

On top of it all, she started sneezing again. When I look at her it almost looks like her right eye is bigger than the left, that the tumor is potentially pushing it. I tried taking pictures of her and her eyes looked normal in the pictures. When I push on them they both feel like they go in, but it almost felt like the right one was harder to push, but then I wasn't sure if I was just messing with my own mind on the difference.

Needless to say I am disappointed with the carboplatin. I felt like the doxorubricin really worked because the sneezing had stopped, now she's sneezing and sounding more congested. Even if she doesn't have another 6 months which would put us in May I really hope she can make it past the holidays. EVERYONE euthanizes their pets around the holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have no idea, I think that's just how it happens because the animals are having a hard time through the middle of the year and the owners end up having to make the decision by the end of the year. I just want her to make it through Christmas, I don't want to be with everyone else euthing their beloved pet.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer