Help! Dog escapes from his crate...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby sistery » November 3rd, 2009, 2:19 am

We thought we were accidentally not closing King's crate all the way allowing him to escape from his crate, but after he got out for the third time and DESTROYED over $800 worth of things (in 20 minutes while we went to the grocery store to buy cereal...) we realized he figured out how let himself out with ease from the inside... We pretended to leave the house, but watched him through the window: he bites the latch and pushes the door open. My husband and I both have tomorrow off from work, but have to figure out something by the next day as I have class and he has work and the dog obviously can't be left loose in the house. Any suggestions?? I am desperate!! For whatever reason King exclusively destroys my husband's belongings, he is ready to give the dog away if we can't figure out a solution...

This is a picture of a crate I found online similar to the one we have, obviously ours is much larger to accommodate a 70 lb pit, but this is the same style:

Money is a big factor as we can't afford a $300 crate right now. We live in an apartment, so space is also an issue.

THANKS!
sistery
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » November 3rd, 2009, 5:53 am

Drill 2 holes in the top lip (over the door) and 2 in the bottom. Drill them so that one set of holes (top and bottom) lines up in front of the door, and the other set behind the door. Get 2 pieces of rebar long enough that they fit in the holes, and are long enough to hit the floor and be taller than the top....this way he shouldn't be able to pull the door in.

Another option, drill 4 holes, on on each lip of each side of the door, and use 4 locks to hold the door closed...these are options I've used with our dogs (who have pulled the door in and pushed it out)...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » November 3rd, 2009, 7:10 am

sistery wrote: We pretended to leave the house, but watched him through the window:

:giggle: Sorry, but that is really funny.

And now do what Katrina suggested. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 3rd, 2009, 8:05 am

Katrina's idea is good. Also, you could take 4 bungee cords and attach them to the door (spaced up and down it), then wrap them around the outside of the crate to the back and hook them into one of the slats. That way the door is held so tightly closed that it won't open in or out. Just be mindful that those bastards hurt when you're hooking/unhooking if you lose control!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby sistery » November 3rd, 2009, 11:03 am

We tried drilling holes in the crate last night and securing the door with those metal caribiner clips, but he chewed on the clips and broke them in about two minutes. It also made me nervous that he could still get the door slightly open, was worried he would get a paw stuck and hurt himself since the door would still open about an inch.

The bars sound like they would work perfectly, we're going to Home Depot first thing today to pick up some rebar.

I want to set up the laptop to video tape him in the act... it is pretty cute. As naughty as it is I'm kind of proud of him for figuring this out (and for not eating MY stuff...)
sistery
Just Whelped

Postby DemoDick » November 3rd, 2009, 1:01 pm

There are good resources on this board for crate training. I would look into them, and start saving for an aluminum crate.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby mnp13 » November 3rd, 2009, 1:15 pm

Honestly, this is one of those cases where the $1,000 aluminum crates make sense. I know that sounds like a fortune... but look at what he just destroyed. And one emergency vet trip makes $1,000 look like chump change.

Although, I just found this one, and it's $500
http://www.petcratesdirect.com/aluminum-dog-crates.html

But that's neither here nor there since you're having to deal with this now.
http://www.petcratesdirect.com/dog-crat ... ennel.html
This style crate has a four point lock on the door - top and sides

I think the rebar method that Katrina told you about is definitely going to work... until he decides to just chew his way out of the plastic. Does his crate have the wire "windows" or the windows that are just holes cut through the walls of the crate? If they are just cut through, I would replace the crate immediately; as soon as he tests those holes he will be out of the crate in an instant.

I would also not crate him with his collar on, because if he makes it half way out of the door and the collar gets stuck he could get hurt. He could get hurt anyway of course, but that would lower the chances.

A lot of people recommend wire crates for escape artists, personally I don't because Ruby shredded her face trying to get out of hers. it ALL depends on your dog (as always!)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » November 3rd, 2009, 2:19 pm

A friend of mine bought this crate for her escape artist: http://www.petedge.com/product/Home-Ken ... /45512.uts

Her dog did chew through the plastic of the airline crates and ripped apart her wire crate (tearing the hell out of her face in the process) to escape. She never managed to get out of the new crate, though.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » November 3rd, 2009, 2:33 pm

That's a NICE crate!!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » November 3rd, 2009, 4:41 pm

Most aluminum crates will run you about $500...I've bought more than 1 or two in the past :rolleyes2:

I like them because most are now airline approved...check out the ones made by Kalispel...I own a regular one X-Large (40 x 23 x 28) and a Large folding one (they don't make the folding one any larger)...and they're really not that heavy...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby plebayo » November 3rd, 2009, 11:43 pm

If he isn't also digging his way out what about a basket muzzle? Then he couldn't bite the door and if he did manage to get out it's not like he could tear anything up...

We've had some clients with Bull Terriers that were constantly trying to kill each other, not 24/7 but randomly. So they made them both wear basket muzzles and they could bump and body slam each other but couldn't eat each other, they both wore the muzzles no problem. I think that is the cheapest fix you'll find if you can't afford a new kennel. I think the rebar idea is good as well.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 4th, 2009, 8:01 am

I would NOT leave a muzzle on a dog unattended.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby DemoDick » November 4th, 2009, 12:55 pm

plebayo wrote:If he isn't also digging his way out what about a basket muzzle? Then he couldn't bite the door and if he did manage to get out it's not like he could tear anything up...

We've had some clients with Bull Terriers that were constantly trying to kill each other, not 24/7 but randomly. So they made them both wear basket muzzles and they could bump and body slam each other but couldn't eat each other, they both wore the muzzles no problem. I think that is the cheapest fix you'll find if you can't afford a new kennel. I think the rebar idea is good as well.

This would (1) teach the dog how to remove the muzzle and (2) increase the risk of strangulation. And I would NEVER muzzle two dogs and let them bang heads. This will enhance dog aggression in most cases.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby mnp13 » November 4th, 2009, 1:00 pm

plebayo wrote:We've had some clients with Bull Terriers that were constantly trying to kill each other, not 24/7 but randomly. So they made them both wear basket muzzles and they could bump and body slam each other but couldn't eat each other, they both wore the muzzles no problem. I think that is the cheapest fix you'll find if you can't afford a new kennel. I think the rebar idea is good as well.

:shock: What was the reasoning behind this method? Were they trying to get the dogs to "work things out themselves"? What ended up happening?

I agree, I would never leave a dog muzzled unattended.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby sistery » November 4th, 2009, 2:14 pm

The re-bar is working great :) Thanks for the suggestion! But I agree it is only a matter of time until King learns he can chomp his way through the plastic to freedom.

We NEVER leave him on his collar or harness in the crate, have heard nightmare stories of dogs strangling themselves so do not want to go there.

I have been looking on Craigslist for an aluminum crate (with no luck), and there's a few hunting dog supply stores in the area I am planning on checking for prices. Am definitely saving up for one, just in process of buying a car now so money is TIGHT! Hopefully rebar will contain him for a couple more weeks...

He's a rescue dog that we got at age 3 and we have had him for about 3 or 4 months now. Before we rescued him he was exclusively kept outside on a 6 foot chain and neglected, so I was surprised how little he protested about the crate. King goes into the crate on his own no problem- even chooses to nap in it on his own occasionally when we are home with him, doesn't cry/whine/whimper when we put him in the crate to leave... So I was under the impression he didn't mind the crate until he started escaping and destroying a few days ago...

King likes his crate about as much as he likes when I make him wear his Snuggie...
sistery
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » November 4th, 2009, 5:29 pm

Awww...King looks rather innocent. Do you have a cat? I think the cat did it. :rolleyes2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Rolex+Deebo » November 6th, 2009, 9:45 pm

mnp13 wrote:Honestly, this is one of those cases where the $1,000 aluminum crates make sense. I know that sounds like a fortune... but look at what he just destroyed. And one emergency vet trip makes $1,000 look like chump change.

Um, these crates are around $300 at Gander MT. , and I get a 20% discount. :dance:
So if someone in Rochester needs one I would be happy to help out!
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby katiek0417 » November 6th, 2009, 10:25 pm

Rolex+Deebo wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Honestly, this is one of those cases where the $1,000 aluminum crates make sense. I know that sounds like a fortune... but look at what he just destroyed. And one emergency vet trip makes $1,000 look like chump change.

Um, these crates are around $300 at Gander MT. , and I get a 20% discount. :dance:
So if someone in Rochester needs one I would be happy to help out!

What if I'm coming to Rochester to visit?????????

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Rolex+Deebo » November 7th, 2009, 2:33 pm

Well,... I don't know......I suppose I could help you too. :neener:
Anybody who is willing to come here to get it, will get my savings. LOL
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Training & Behavior