Sinonasal Carcinoma

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby HappyChick » November 4th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Good luck with everything! :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:

(Aren't Angels fabulous?!)
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » November 4th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Well we had to break into the metoclopramide today. My boss has a knack for making bad things happen. The day my cat passed away under anesthesia he made some comment about the cat not being on oxygen [at the time we were using reversible sedation and had JUST intubated him.] he made some sarcastic remark and I said "My cat can't die, I love this cat.." then it was over and my cat died, just like that.

Yesterday he was hesitant to do chemo because it might make Sofie sick, he brought it up. I was for it, just to get it over with and keep up with our protocol and I was like "She should be fine don't you think?" He's like "Yeah I think it'll be fine."

Then, she barfed in my car on the way to my parents aka doggy daycare this am :p Luckily she puked on an envelope and it was easy to clean up haha. She's definitely feeling poopy today but is still a food hound and seems fine other than being a little slow. I had a firm conversation about how he's not allowed to jinx my animals anymore.

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone, I will let you know how tomorrow goes as soon as I know!

(Aren't Angels fabulous?!)

More fabulous than words can express. I still can't believe it.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Brownies Mom » November 4th, 2009, 10:58 pm

I'm really sorry to hear about Softie's diagnosis. Here are a couple of things I have learned while helping my lab to battle mast cell cancer, and from being on a message board where many members discussed their dogs' fight with cancer:

First, I understand why you want a way to gauge her level of pain when it is not horribly obvious. It's hard to do, but one thing I learned that gave me some comfort was that dogs in pain don't dream. Everytime I saw my dog "chasing rabbits" in his sleep, I felt a little better. Trust me, you will know when she has reached a level of pain that she doesn't want to bear.

There are two things you have working in your favor because she is a food hound. The first is that if she quits eating, you will know she has reached a point where you need to change something big. I know this seems kind of obvious, but dogs that are just OK eaters lose their appetites easier, so those owners have to go through more adjustments. It's common for pain meds to affect their appetites, so check on those kinds of things first if she loses her appetite. The other thing about food hounds is that you can (usually) medicate them easier. My lab inhaled everything, so a big pill wrapped in a Pill Pocket was a treat, because it never got chewed. My other dogs will thoroughly chew everything, so they would find a hidden med in a heartbeat. I've heard you shouldn't ever add meds to any animal's meals because they could begin rejecting the meals. I think that's probably good advice, but if the situation calls for it, I will tell you that I dumped all kinds of supplements and herbs in my lab's dinners, and he licked the bowl clean.

If you are looking for a good source of information, I highly recommend "The Natural Vet's Guide to Preventing and Treating Cancer in Dogs" by Shawn Messonnier. http://petcarenaturally.com/book_cancer_dogs.php The guy really knows what he's talking about, and there are lots of ideas in the book about what foods and supplements to add or avoid to enhance the effectiveness of chemo, and that type of thing.

Like I said, Brownie lived 4.5 years after his diagnosis. Most of the time, my biggest fear was that he was at, or would get to a point where he wanted to be let go, and that I would miss all the signals, or be in denial about how bad it really was. But there was no missing it once he got really sick. I would bet my heart that you will also know when it is time to let go. Until then, I hope you can be in a place where you can celebrate and enjoy with her every day that she still feels good.

I think Piroxicam is a great choice - it has been shown to shrink tumors.
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Postby plebayo » November 4th, 2009, 11:06 pm

Like I said, Brownie lived 4.5 years after his diagnosis. Most of the time, my biggest fear was that he was at, or would get to a point where he wanted to be let go, and that I would miss all the signals, or be in denial about how bad it really was. But there was no missing it once he got really sick. I would bet my heart that you will also know when it is time to let go. Until then, I hope you can be in a place where you can celebrate and enjoy with her every day that she still feels good.

Thanks for all of the information :D I will definitely check that book out. Thanks for sharing your story, I am ALWAYS worried I'll hold on too long and be in denial. I mean I know what to look for, I know I don't want her to go so bad off she can't move or eat or something, but I'm also worried I just won't get how bad it is, you know?
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » November 4th, 2009, 11:52 pm

plebayo wrote: Thanks for sharing your story, I am ALWAYS worried I'll hold on too long and be in denial. I mean I know what to look for, I know I don't want her to go so bad off she can't move or eat or something, but I'm also worried I just won't get how bad it is, you know?

You'll know... and you will "get it" when the time comes. Trust me.
You don't know how desperately I wanted Mick to live, and hang in there, and keep fighting... but when he was ready to let go - I knew in my heart, and without a doubt. My head took over and we took our last trip to the vet together... I wouldn't even let myself get upset as to not make him anxious that day.
But afterwards, I cried, and cried, and cried. Even though I was absolutely certain that I had done right by him... :sad2: :cry: :(

So, for now - try worrying less, and enjoy your time w/Sofie as much as you possibly can.
Got all fingers and paws crossed at my house for your appointment tomorrow!!!! :wink: :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TinaMartin » November 5th, 2009, 9:24 am

Take a deep breath. PBT is working overtime with the vibes still and you will hopefully have answers today. :hug3:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby HappyChick » November 5th, 2009, 10:41 am

Good luck today!

Cancer and chemo are bitches to deal with, but you need to hang in there and enjoy every day with Sofie! Try not to worry too much.

Sending positive vibes and lots of love your way!
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » November 5th, 2009, 3:26 pm

Alright, we're home! The people at VDIC were awesome, way, way nice and I felt like Sofie was in excellent hands. They gave her some Valium and she woke up totally quiet, which we've never given it to her so she's usually kind of whimpery when she wakes up.

They gave me two disks, one for me and one for an oncologist if that was my intentions to take her there. I have no clue what the pictures mean, I'll try to get some of the pictures off of the cd, they're kind of scary to look at and I have no clue what means what. They'll fax over a report tomorrow.

Sofie is recovering well from her anesthesia, I guess she had a reaction to the propofol her heart rate/respiration's increased, but heck I'd rather have her breathing too quickly than not breathing at all!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Brownies Mom » November 5th, 2009, 10:52 pm

plebayo wrote:Alright, we're home! The people at VDIC were awesome, way, way nice and I felt like Sofie was in excellent hands. They gave her some Valium and she woke up totally quiet, which we've never given it to her so she's usually kind of whimpery when she wakes up.

They gave me two disks, one for me and one for an oncologist if that was my intentions to take her there. I have no clue what the pictures mean, I'll try to get some of the pictures off of the cd, they're kind of scary to look at and I have no clue what means what. They'll fax over a report tomorrow.

Sofie is recovering well from her anesthesia, I guess she had a reaction to the propofol her heart rate/respiration's increased, but heck I'd rather have her breathing too quickly than not breathing at all!
All fingers, toes and paws over here are crossed. Wishing the very best of news when the results come in. We know you will feel better and make better decisions once you know what is actually going on.
Marianne, Remy and A-Jay
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Postby HappyChick » November 5th, 2009, 10:59 pm

plebayo wrote:They'll fax over a report tomorrow.

:goodthoughts: for an excellent report tomorrow!

Knowing what you are dealing with will help you be more confident in your decisions.

Glad to read that Sofie handled everything very well!

Love to ya!
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » November 5th, 2009, 11:52 pm

So I thought I would share a pic from the CD I got. I still don't know how close it is to the brain, some pictures show it seemingly close, but I am not schooled in reading MRI's and neither are our doctors so we can't know for sure until VDIC calls.

Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Marinepits » November 6th, 2009, 7:52 am

Wow, neat! (I'm such a nerd -- I love xrays, MRIs, etc. :oops: :giggle: )

Keeping good thoughts for the results!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 6th, 2009, 8:11 am

I have no idea what I'm looking at in that picture (is her nose at the top, like she's on her belly stretched out?) but I am totally thinking of you guys today and sending lots and lots of good vibes!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby hugapitbull » November 6th, 2009, 8:40 am

Wow! Sending good thoughts your way for the best results.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » November 6th, 2009, 8:41 am

You'll have to let us know the minute they tell you!!! :o
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TinaMartin » November 6th, 2009, 9:56 am

I really really really am trying to wait patiently. Its not something I do well. Hoping and praying for the best.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby plebayo » November 6th, 2009, 11:25 am

I have no idea what I'm looking at in that picture (is her nose at the top, like she's on her belly stretched out?) but I am totally thinking of you guys today and sending lots and lots of good vibes!

She's on her back, there's a little "a and p" at the top and bottom and an "r and l" for anterior/posterior, left/right. So the mass is in the right side, which is the side we flushed a chunk out of.

I will definitely let you guys know when I know!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby madremissy » November 6th, 2009, 11:41 am

Sending plenty of good thoughts today.
:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 6th, 2009, 3:08 pm

Nothing yet???
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » November 6th, 2009, 3:35 pm

Nothing yet???

You're as impatient as me!!!!!!!1

I got the results about an hour ago but I've been working and just took a break so i could update you all. There's a lot of big words and things I 'kind of' understand.

First it says that there is a mass within the caudal aspect of the right nasal cavity [so towards her eyes] that measures 1.9cm width, 2.7cm height, 2.7cm length. The mass is in intimate contact with the cribriform plate, basically the back of her nose which has to do with the smelling portion of the brain leading to the nose.

Then further down it says the rostral margin of the mass [rostral is toward the nose] is approximatley 6.6cm in length. Then is says there is a subcutaneous[skin] mass towards the nose of the right eye measuring 0.9cm in length by 1.9cm in width by 0.9cm in height - haven't seen that.

Conclusions: Aggressive neoplastic mass within the caudal aspect of the right nasal cavity consistent with the previously diagnosed sinonasal carcinoma. There is early invasion into the cranial vault with mild compression of the right olfactory lobe in the brain. Early lysis[destruction] and invasion into the medial aspect of the right orbit[right eye bone]. There is some lysis of nasal turbinates but that could be due to the MRSA she had. Biopsy is recommended for the skin mass.

So basically the tumor has destroyed part of her eye socket but has not reached the brain. Generally we give clients a 6months prognoses. It has taken this thing a year to really become an issue - causing wicked hard sneezing. The chemo may buy us more time. Radiation is the only true thing that can get rid of this tumor but with her age and the location I would have no interest even if she was young in doing radiation in her face. I heard about a 10 year old lab with the same kind of tumor and it caused the dog to go blind, it's just not something I would do even if I had the funding.

I am so glad I had this opportunity to see what was going on inside her head. True, I won't know if the chemo is helping because we won't repeat the MRI however I already know just by her lack of sneezing and her ability to breathe out of that nostril that it is helping. I am going to continue with the chemo and spend as much time as I can with her in the mean time. We could have 6 months or we could have another couple of years. Regardless we're just going to keep going.

It could invade the eye which would be an indication of it spreading that i would be able to see. If it invades the brain she could seizure which would be an indication of that. Time will tell of course.

She is in good spirits today, she had dinner last night and breakfast this morning. She seems still a little poopy but definitley feeling better. We'll check her CBC next tuesday to see how things are going. Thanks for all of the support we really need it!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer