I learned so much. Thank you Sarah

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby madremissy » November 5th, 2009, 9:32 pm

First of all let me thank Sarah and Renae for taking the time and coming to my house to help me. We had fun training, eating, laughing and staying up late. All 4 dogs were comfortable and got plenty of attention.

I have to say that I learned so much. Some clicker training, a little shaping, calming signals (totally had that one backwards) and that each of my dogs learns in totally different ways and time spans.

This is my thoughts. Sarah will have to tell you hers :wink:

I thought that Gotty was the easiest to work with. His love for treats and attention span was great. He picked up everything very quickly. He was all into it and we were able to have longer sessions with him.
Worked on sit, stay, here (change the "come" to "Here"), leave it, out, down, and touch. This afternoon after Sarah left I had him jumping up to each hand for touch. :D

Now onto the one who I thought was hopeless. (Sorry Sammy for not having any Faith in you. I will never doubt you again).He did FANTASTIC!!! :shock: He is another who will work for food. My little man was the best at shaping. She was getting him to go on the mat. Making him think for himself. He got it faster than anyone. He was able to sit his little waggly butt still in a down position, he did leave it wonderfully. I could drop something and tell him to leave it and he did. :confetti: She worked on getting him to do a spin. We worked on him not barking when someone comes up. He didn't bark when Travis and Allison drove up yesterday and I about fell over. :swoon:

My little princess Kinzyl. :rolleyes2: I thought she did well. Also Sarah told me that she does have a lot of stuff down already. Sit, leave it, spot, and leash manners. She needs a little tweaking on some others. We worked on her touch. She had a hard time with that one :nono: . We worked on her wanting to paw instead of doing what we asked. HERE, oh that is the biggest one. She kinda gets bored with that game really easy and her food interest is really not that great. She gets over it very quickly and would much rather sniff the yard for critters. So I am doing very short session with her and doing one thing at a time. If I taught her the other things she knows, I can do these other things. I just have to have patience and think repetition. :dance:

Everything we did was very interesting to me and something that I CAN do with my dogs. Even if it is a few minutes here and there everyday.

What I enjoyed the most was spending time with someone who enjoyed the animals as much as me. Kinzyl showed Sarah how much she enjoyed her company by laying in her lap upside down half the night. :) Gotty and Sammy knew thought of her as the "treat lady".

Sarah has a few videos of her working on shaping with each dog. They are kinda long and just really waiting,clicking and treating. Sammy was working on the mat. Kinzyl worked on bowing. Gotty worked on the mat.

It was a very good 2 days.

Didn't take pictures because I was too busy learning. :doh:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby LMM » November 5th, 2009, 9:37 pm

That is really great! I'm so happy for you all!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby ArtGypsy » November 5th, 2009, 9:58 pm

I'm so happy for you!!
*****and a little envious********** :rolleyes2:

Horray horray!!
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby iluvk9 » November 5th, 2009, 9:58 pm

madremissy wrote: We had fun training, eating, laughing and staying up late.

Did you kill her with your cooking, Missy? She hasn't been on the forum since she visited you. :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » November 5th, 2009, 10:04 pm

iluvk9 wrote:

Did you kill her with your cooking, Missy? She hasn't been on the forum since she visited you. :|

Unless the frozen waffles I made her this morning did her in. :confused: Travis cooked wings last night and she was fine. :wink:
madremissy

Postby airwalk » November 5th, 2009, 10:35 pm

Yay, sounds like you guys had a wonderful time and learned lots and lots. I'm a bit envious!
airwalk
I live here

Postby Hundilein » November 5th, 2009, 10:46 pm

iluvk9 wrote:

Sorry, I got home a couple hours ago and had to call my mom for our weekly chat. Now I'm watching Grey's Anatomy and jumping on the forum during commercials.

Missy did not kill me with her cooking, but Travis made some of the best wings I've ever had. Super tasty!

madremissy wrote:What I enjoyed the most was spending time with someone who enjoyed the animals as much as me. Kinzyl showed Sarah how much she enjoyed her company by laying in her lap upside down half the night. :)

Awww Missy, that part just made me tear up. I really enjoyed our time, too. It was just what I needed to destress from all the crap I'm dealing with right now.

I'm very impressed with what Missy had already taught the dogs. She doesn't give herself enough credit. And she asked a ton of really good questions, too.

And I had a blast. I even liked working with Sammy, and I am NOT a little dog person. Renee embarrassed me by acting like an idiot and doing a lot of whining and hooting and scratching at the door, but Missy was very nice and didn't say anything about it. And Renee did do some nice recalls for me today when I let her wander around in the yard.

I'll try to get the videos off my camera and onto youtube so I can post them within a couple of days. I'm afraid we missed a lot of good stuff that would have been great to have on film. I think we were both just so excited about meeting each other and working with the dogs that we forgot that we were supposed to document everything.

And Joyce, don't worry, it really is all about you. We stayed up until 2 in the morning watching Dog the Bounty Hunter and talking about you :neener:
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » November 5th, 2009, 11:01 pm

Whoohooo! I knew you'd love Sarah... :D I know I do! 8)

Can't wait to see the videos...

So proud of you Missy!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » November 5th, 2009, 11:21 pm

Thanks everyone and Sarah again.

Renee was fine. Her sharing her mommy with me and my dogs was very generous of her. She watched from the front porch and was wonderful. She was a wonderful house guest and was a good girl about hanging out in my bedroom taking turns for family time. I also love her ears!!!!! :D

My dogs were fine with Renee on the porch while they were in the yard. Gotty would run over to the front porch, and give her a few kisses and then come running back. I don't think even a woman could come between him and those treats Sarah had. :crazy2: Kinzyl knew she was there but ignored her. That really made me happy. She didn't really know what to think looking out the window fact to face with a long pointy nose dog with 6 inch ears though :o

Sammy just went with the flow. He and Renee were great with one another.

Sarah got to see how spacey I sometimes get. :oops: I only lost the clicker 5 times. :nono: She left me plenty so I have them all over the place now. Even in the bathroom :wink:

I look at it this way, I have learned another tool that I can use to help my dogs be happier. That was my main focus. AND TO MEET A NEW FRIEND. :hug3:
madremissy

Postby Jenn » November 5th, 2009, 11:26 pm

:clap:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Hundilein » November 5th, 2009, 11:30 pm

I actually was pretty proud of Renee. She gets very anxious in new places and having me work with other dogs in her line of sight was hard for her, but she handled it reasonably well. The whining makes me nuts, but she did have many moments of calm. And she made friends with Travis in 2 seconds. She can be weird with people sometimes, particularly men. But she just wanted Travis to pet her.

madremissy wrote:Sarah got to see how spacey I sometimes get. :oops: I only lost the clicker 5 times. :nono: She left me plenty so I have them all over the place now. Even in the bathroom :wink:

I look at it this way, I have learned another tool that I can use to help my dogs be happier. That was my main focus. AND TO MEET A NEW FRIEND. :hug3:

Erin will be proud of Missy. She started training Sammy in the bathroom without me even suggesting it. :wink:

And I enjoyed meeting a new friend (or five), too!

ETA Videos are uploading as we speak.
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby madremissy » November 5th, 2009, 11:35 pm

Erin will be proud of Missy. She started training Sammy in the bathroom without me even suggesting it. :wink:

He followed me in there so I seized the moment. :D
madremissy

Postby TheRedQueen » November 5th, 2009, 11:44 pm

madremissy wrote:

He followed me in there so I seized the moment. :D

Puppy class last night was "Training in the Bathroom..." you must have heard us talking in MD...lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby hugapitbull » November 6th, 2009, 8:29 am

I am so happy for you Missy, and a bit jealous :nono: Sounds like you had a very productive visit. Even little Sammy is getting good reports. Yea!

I'm getting ready to have a raffle. The winner gets Bob to train. His favorite past time these days is to read the forum, especially the training articles, and then critique me when I take the dogs out to pee. He thinks we should be in training mode 24/7.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 6th, 2009, 8:31 am

Pssst...you should be. :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby hugapitbull » November 6th, 2009, 8:37 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Pssst...you should be. :wink:

Damn, you're no fun either :oops: Ok, we'll raffle me. I'm probably a harder subject, so it may take a long time, but I like treats!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 6th, 2009, 9:05 am

I only say that just because of Duke's issues that you're working through. Doesn't mean no cuddling or anything, but if you tell him to do something (like get off the couch, sit for leash, etc) he should do it. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby madremissy » November 8th, 2009, 6:42 pm

I think I found something that I can easily use to work with the dogs. I don't feel like if I click too soon or too late it is the end of the world.

Update. I have been working with all dogs three times a day. Sammy and Gotty have longer sessions and Kinzyl's are getting there. Sarah told me to always leave them wanting more and I think she has figured out that this game could be fun. I count out so many treats for each dog and when they are gone that session is over. I am also doing things randomly during the day without the clicker and using the words.

Gotty's retrieve (and actually bring the ball back and drop it) is improving, his leave it and drop it is better to. He doesn't want to pull on his tug anymore if he thinks I have treats. I am trying to teach him out. Before he loved it now he would rather sit and wait on a treat. :crazy2: Today I had him going after the ball and then running back and jumping in the back of Travis's truck with it. On our walks he is listening much better when he sees a squirrel or bird. Not trying to take off and pulling my arm out of the socket. He is also much calmer on the porch when he is just relaxing. He usually had a hard time just laying around, he would pace a lot. OH YEAH, I worked a lot with him today on putting his paw in my hand and me handling it. Remember before he wouldn't let me touch his feet. He would pull back. He did very well with that today. That is our goal for the week to have him shaking hands with both feet.

I have been having very short sessions with Kinzyl and she is starting to really "get it". She was having a hard time with just touching my hand when I held it down to her nose. :sad2: Now she is doing both hands and I can say touch high and she jumps up to touch them. That I think will help when introducing people. She definitely has her down and shake. Leave it is great. I am going to work on her bow this week.

Sammy, My wonderful Sammy has been the biggest surprise. :D He is now waiting on his food. He can down without shaking all over and stay down. He is getting better about barking when someone drives up or by. I think I am going to try mastering the spin this week with him. :dance:
madremissy

Postby airwalk » November 8th, 2009, 8:02 pm

Woohoo...so when can i bring my three down for training?
airwalk
I live here

Postby Hundilein » November 8th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Missy, that is awesome! You should be really proud of yourself! I'm glad I could help you get started with the clicker. I had a feeling you and the dogs would have a lot of fun with it.
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Next

Return to Training & Behavior