Teaching roll over, help please

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Dukes_mom » October 29th, 2009, 6:23 am

I've been trying to teach Duke roll over 5 minutes every day for about 2 weeks now and really haveing no improvement. He usually picks up tricks really quick. The way I am trying to teach him is I get down to his level on my knees, put him in the down position on his stomach. I take a treat and lead it behind his head so that he turns his head with it, but as soon as he starts to go on his back he just goes right back into the down position.

Any suggestions? If you guys can't give any help I'll just take it as he just isn't interested in roll over :| . I'm really hopeing you can help :)
~*~Rebecca~*~
Dukes_mom
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » October 29th, 2009, 7:42 am

I did basically the same thing to teach Mac to roll over, but did it in stages with commands and treats all along the way. First I'd get him to lay on his side, then treat him for that. Next was getting him to lay on his back -- I "helped" him a bit by taking his "bottom" feet (while he was laying on his side) and gently picking them up and rolling him onto his back. Once he was there, I'd give him a belly rub and treat him. Then we worked on rolling onto his other side from the back position.

Now he'll lay on his side and stay still for vet exams, nail trims, ear cleanings, etc; roll onto his back so I can treat his "allergy bumps" *sigh*; and does a great fast roll-over when I ask him!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » October 29th, 2009, 8:35 am

Marinepits wrote:I did basically the same thing to teach Mac to roll over, but did it in stages with commands and treats all along the way. First I'd get him to lay on his side, then treat him for that. Next was getting him to lay on his back -- I "helped" him a bit by taking his "bottom" feet (while he was laying on his side) and gently picking them up and rolling him onto his back. Once he was there, I'd give him a belly rub and treat him. Then we worked on rolling onto his other side from the back position.

Now he'll lay on his side and stay still for vet exams, nail trims, ear cleanings, etc; roll onto his back so I can treat his "allergy bumps" *sigh*; and does a great fast roll-over when I ask him!

That's how I did it with Sacha...

With Drusilla, I had to have her on her back so often this summer, and I couldn't give her food at the vet's office (bc they had to sedate her), so I worked on it alot at home with the clicker. I noticed that she would roll over for us when we did her fluids and meds so I started to use the clicker to mark the behavior whenever she did it for us. And I started putting a word with it. So, when I got to the vet's office, even though she was reluctant, I would tell her "belly up" and she'd offer up her belly...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Dukes_mom » October 29th, 2009, 9:20 am

Marinepits wrote:I did basically the same thing to teach Mac to roll over, but did it in stages with commands and treats all along the way. First I'd get him to lay on his side, then treat him for that. Next was getting him to lay on his back -- I "helped" him a bit by taking his "bottom" feet (while he was laying on his side) and gently picking them up and rolling him onto his back. Once he was there, I'd give him a belly rub and treat him. Then we worked on rolling onto his other side from the back position.

I'll give it a try and report back on what happens. Thanks :D
~*~Rebecca~*~
Dukes_mom
Just Whelped

Postby pocketpit » October 29th, 2009, 11:17 am

I too have had to "help" my dogs initially with the rolling part. I keep the head turned back with the treat hand and help flip them with the other. Then we have a huge party where I make a big deal out of what they just did. It quickly offsets any confusion or hesitant, unsure feelings about being rolled over. Of course my dogs are typically food whores so it works for them. :)
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » October 29th, 2009, 2:30 pm

I think that gently guiding them through it can help, while "luring" them with food.

I did teach Oscar from a down but have also had success gently positioning him or moving him and luring at the same time.

Try facing your dog head on. Put him in a down, gently push them over to one side, on a hip, then lure him; you could do baby steps, just a few inches over every session :|

Its probably different for every dog, you just gotta find what works for your particular one...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Dukes_mom » October 30th, 2009, 12:18 am

Well today had some success Duke is about half way there. He now will go onto his back and wiggle like a nut. Sometimes will even fully roll over. We were doing good until he got silly and would just bark at me in the down (luckily he knows the quite symbol *phew*) So we did some other tricks and we were done. Now if he can remember all this tomorrow we will be on the way haha.
~*~Rebecca~*~
Dukes_mom
Just Whelped

Postby plebayo » October 30th, 2009, 10:52 am

So it sounds like you're on the road to roll over, I just thought I would post how I taught my dogs since this is a good post to share ideas of how to teach this trick to a dog.

I have my dogs lays down and I gently push them onto their side which none of my dogs have issues with then I give them a treat and say "roll over". If you do this several times in a row they realize the key to getting the treat is being on their side. Then I start moving the treat past the side of their head, while saying "roll over" and when they follow it they get treated. If you do this repeatedly they start to figure out that now when they roll over, that is when they get the treat. I taught all three of my dogs this way.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » October 30th, 2009, 2:30 pm

plebayo wrote:So it sounds like you're on the road to roll over, I just thought I would post how I taught my dogs since this is a good post to share ideas of how to teach this trick to a dog.

I have my dogs lays down and I gently push them onto their side which none of my dogs have issues with then I give them a treat and say "roll over". If you do this several times in a row they realize the key to getting the treat is being on their side. Then I start moving the treat past the side of their head, while saying "roll over" and when they follow it they get treated. If you do this repeatedly they start to figure out that now when they roll over, that is when they get the treat. I taught all three of my dogs this way.

Me too!!! :D :highfive:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » October 30th, 2009, 3:05 pm

amazincc wrote:
plebayo wrote:So it sounds like you're on the road to roll over, I just thought I would post how I taught my dogs since this is a good post to share ideas of how to teach this trick to a dog.

Me too!!! :D :highfive:

me 3!!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby plebayo » October 30th, 2009, 4:35 pm

me 3!!

And I totally just read your whole post above and realized I pretty much repeated what you said haha. I rock sometimes. :mrgreen:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby TheRedQueen » November 2nd, 2009, 12:07 am

Video of teaching "Play Dead"...maybe it'll be helpful...I know I like visuals... 8)

http://www.clickertraining.tv/product.html?item=FREE-32
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Dukes_mom » November 2nd, 2009, 9:16 am

TheRedQueen wrote:Video of teaching "Play Dead"...maybe it'll be helpful...I know I like visuals... 8)

http://www.clickertraining.tv/product.html?item=FREE-32

Thanks for the video! I was also wanting to teach Duke to play dead, of course after he learns roll over. So thanks for the video, now I will know what to do after he has roll over down. He's getting better but still is a bit of a wiggling nut, but thats not new LOL
~*~Rebecca~*~
Dukes_mom
Just Whelped

Postby Dukes_mom » November 4th, 2009, 2:34 am

Woot woot he finally knows it. Then I took him out to show his grandpa and he acted like a air head and wouldn't do it LOL then came back in the bedroom and he did it.....darn dogs haha. Well atleast if he doesn't do it for anyone else I have video proof haha.
~*~Rebecca~*~
Dukes_mom
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » November 4th, 2009, 3:46 am

if you've only practiced in the bedroom, he might need help "reminding" him how to do it in other places at first ;)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Dukes_mom » November 4th, 2009, 5:52 am

Yeah plus his good buddie Prince was distracting him.
~*~Rebecca~*~
Dukes_mom
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 4th, 2009, 8:02 am

You have video but you're not going to show us???
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Dukes_mom » November 4th, 2009, 12:01 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:You have video but you're not going to show us???

I really wish I could, but sadly I have dial up 21.6kbps for speed... Sorry everyone :(
~*~Rebecca~*~
Dukes_mom
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior