The Old Woman

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby plebayo » November 2nd, 2009, 8:14 pm

Sofie turned 13 on Saturday! I thought I would take this opportunity to talk about her and how I got her and her life until now :D

When I was around 7-8 years old a toy poodle was given to my family as a first dog for me. He was around 8 years old and was going to be euthanized because he was attacking this woman's chickens and pretty much they just didn't want him. We had him for about a year and a half - two years when he ended up with lung cancer and had to be put to sleep. I was totally devastated, he was a great first dog. It was horrible not having a dog and I wanted another one and we started looking, my sister found an ad in the paper for a free 6 month old lhasa apso/terrier cross who had just been spayed and had shots.

We drove out to Portland [like a 30min drive] to see her. She lived with a Golden retriever and at the time had really long hair. She was basically given run of the house and the people claimed they didn't want her because they couldn't give her the attention she needed. I said I wanted her because I really wanted a dog, I would have taken any thing at that age haha

So really, those people didn't want Sofie because she was NUTS! Our old dog was crate trained and slept in the pantry, no problems. Sofie however in a 2 hour time span leaving her at home tore up a door jam. We got her a kennel, she pulled the metal windows out, ground all of her teeth down, would whine and bark and drool and pant and be nuts. She was on clomicalm and it did NOTHING for her. We started leaving her out in the front room where she continuously tried to eat the door jams and the door itself. Even with the other dog and cat at my parents she would still try chewing through the door. She luckily doesn't do this at my apartment, but I think it helps that the space is more confining.
She does alright in a kennel at work but on occasion has an anxiety attack. She used to be a lot worse and whine and dig and drool but now she'll just pant and get all crazy eyed if she has an attack, which is rare. We had to electrify our chainlink fence, just run a line on top because if I left the house and she was outside she would try to jump the fence and follow me.

She was the first dog I ever taught things to. I taught her how to shake hands, roll over, sit pretty [she sits on her haunches and basically "begs" haha], spin left and right, speak, she learned how to target a tupperware lid so I taped it to the door and taught her how to close the front door. She can do it without the target I just needed to teach her where to hit the door. She was the first dog I had ever taken to an obedience class and has always been GREAT on a leash.

She's a typical terrier, very independent, when off leash she has to pee on everything and when she could hear didn't have the best recall, now she can't really hear so you have to wave your arms and jump around and she'll eventually come. She likes chasing cats and birds, she's boss in our "pack". She's been a really good dog other than being a little crazy, I lovers her so much!

So I made a human cake but forgot it was in the oven and it became quite dry oops. I had planned to give her some anyway but decided it was not yummy enough to frost so I gave her a couple chunks with whipped cream and here is the happy old lady:

Cake

Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 2nd, 2009, 8:21 pm

Happy birthday you gorgeous girl! How lucky you were to end up with the family you got!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby hugapitbull » November 2nd, 2009, 8:44 pm

Happy Birthday, beautiful! Love that 2nd pic :dance:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby TheRedQueen » November 2nd, 2009, 9:57 pm

I love the oldies...:heartbeat:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Marinepits » November 2nd, 2009, 10:22 pm

Great story! Thanks for sharing it. :hug3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » November 3rd, 2009, 7:14 am

plebayo wrote:
She's a typical terrier, very independent, when off leash she has to pee on everything and when she could hear didn't have the best recall, now she can't really hear so you have to wave your arms and jump around and she'll eventually come.

8) 8) 8)

Happy Birthday, Sofie!

That cake looks like something I would make. And that's not a compliment. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » November 3rd, 2009, 11:02 am

That cake looks like something I would make. And that's not a compliment. :dance:

Yeah well... it was pretty sad, I was looking forward to nice moist cake and some frosting. It's the whole reason I didn't just make a dog cake. I guess that's what I get for being selfish and making her eat something I could eat. In the future I should just make one for her and one for me :p
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby kera09 » November 3rd, 2009, 1:06 pm

aww happy birthday lucky girl!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » November 3rd, 2009, 3:05 pm

:bday2: :bday:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby HappyChick » November 3rd, 2009, 3:32 pm

I'm sure Sofie didn't care what that cake looked like or that it was a little dry. She looks like she enjoyed it!

Happy Birthday, old girl! :bday:
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » November 3rd, 2009, 5:45 pm

I'm sure Sofie didn't care what that cake looked like or that it was a little dry. She looks like she enjoyed it!

One thing is for sure - she definitley likes to eat :p Not to mention she was the one who got the special cake and Sofie & Seth had to clean up what little crumbs she left hahaha.

Thanks for the Birthday wishes, it's been a great 12 and a half years!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby CinderDee » November 3rd, 2009, 7:03 pm

Happy Birthday Sofie! :bday2: :bday: :bigGift:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Jenn » November 3rd, 2009, 10:55 pm

Awww happy day to you both!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby plebayo » November 3rd, 2009, 11:33 pm

See where my brain is, I meant 'LiLo & Seth had to clean the crumbs up!"

Hahaha thanks for all of the birthday wishes!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby smallstream » November 4th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Happy birthday sophie!!!
smallstream
Just Whelped

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members