Sinonasal Carcinoma

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby cheekymunkee » October 29th, 2009, 8:52 pm

(((hugs)))
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby madremissy » October 29th, 2009, 8:52 pm

:hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » October 29th, 2009, 10:11 pm

:hug3: for both of you...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby plebayo » October 30th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Thanks for the hugs :D

Sofie will be getting her Carboplatin treatment tuesday. We'll take a CBC before hand and then check it in 10 days to make sure her numbers are still looking okay.

I called VDIC [veterinary diagnostic imaging center] as the oncologist I called said they refer out there for MRI and CT, the MRI being most recommended.

An MRI is $1,515. They will give us a 15% professional discount bringing it down to roughly $1300. I didn't ask about a CT so for those ever wondering the cost, expect $1500.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » October 30th, 2009, 3:26 pm

Wow. :neutral:

Bad enough that cancer is what it is... and then the treatment has to be so damned expensive on top of it.

:hug3: to you and Sofie.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby plebayo » October 30th, 2009, 10:03 pm

Bad enough that cancer is what it is... and then the treatment has to be so damned expensive on top of it.

I know, right? I can kind of understand it considering that chemo is really serious and it's best to have one administer it that knows what they are doing. I also understand the cost of the MRI kind of. I mean, I guess you're paying for the machine, and paying for someone to read the test. But at the same time, it's a diagnostic tool and I wish it could be more accessible to those of us who want to do right by our pets but don't have thousands and thousands of dollars.

I think it would be cool to have some kind of a hook up with someone in the medical field and I could just sneak my dog in for a quick look :P

Ah well, I guess I should also report however that Sofie is doing pretty great right now. She RARELY sneezes and can breathe a little out of her right nostril! She's still stuffy sounding and it's weird, she kind of groans when she's getting comfortable I'm not sure if that's related or just an old lady thing. She seems to be feeling pretty great [which kind of freaks me out giving her the chemo, I hope she reacts well like last time!] she takes off running down the road after me and my other dogs when I walk down to feed my horse. She's always way behind us because she has to pee on everything. :| She also has taken to sleeping on my bed at night and can make the leap up there, so I'm glad for that.

I want to thank you all again for the hugs, support, and just over all good vibes. This community is amazing, and it's nice to have this kind of support.

I shaved her face... I was going to shave her whole head but decided to see if I could get away with just cleaning her face up... it doesn't look too bad. I just don't want to shave her bald because it's getting cold and I don't want her to freeze!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 31st, 2009, 8:10 am

That's fantastic that she's taking so well to the chemo! I'm keeping you guys in my thoughts! :hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby hugapitbull » October 31st, 2009, 8:21 am

Trouble took Carboplatin, and had few side effects. Within 24-48 hours she was back to normal. She had some mild nausea and was mildly lethargic for that short period of time. She also never had her blood count fall to a point she couldn't continue treatment. Based on what I've been told from others who have used the Carboplatin, Trouble's side effects were pretty normal. Most dogs handle the treatments well.

Lots of good thoughts for you and Sofie on Tuesday.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby CinderDee » October 31st, 2009, 9:07 am

Sofie looks fantastic! I just wanted to wish you both good luck on Tuesday!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby HappyChick » October 31st, 2009, 9:28 am

Good luck with the chemo Tuesday. I REALLY hope the cancer doesn't spread to her brain.

Sending good thoughts your way!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » October 31st, 2009, 11:39 am

Trouble took Carboplatin, and had few side effects. Within 24-48 hours she was back to normal. She had some mild nausea and was mildly lethargic for that short period of time. She also never had her blood count fall to a point she couldn't continue treatment. Based on what I've been told from others who have used the Carboplatin, Trouble's side effects were pretty normal. Most dogs handle the treatments well.

Thanks for sharing your experience! It makes me feel a little more at ease. My vet is a really laid back guy and when he explains things he acts like the chemo is nothing sometimes... [I think that's just how he and I communicate, very nonchalant to each other] and it's really serious business, I mean, it's chemo!

Good luck with the chemo Tuesday. I REALLY hope the cancer doesn't spread to her brain.

Me too! We have a cat who comes in that appeared to have some kind of growth behind his eye. His owner took him in for an MRI and it was the largest nose cancer the vet had ever seen that spread to the brain, it was in his nose, behind his eye, and had gone into the brain. He was supposed to have 5 radiation treatments this week but I haven't heard how he is doing. I always check Sofie's eyes to make sure she doesn't have an odd eye or that one isn't sticking out more than the other because that was the first sign of a problem with this cat.

Thanks for the good luck everyone! I keep telling Sofie her friends at PBT wish her well, I think she gets it :)
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby hugapitbull » October 31st, 2009, 2:53 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience! It makes me feel a little more at ease. My vet is a really laid back guy and when he explains things he acts like the chemo is nothing sometimes... [I think that's just how he and I communicate, very nonchalant to each other] and it's really serious business, I mean, it's chemo!

I'm happy to share our experience with this disease. It's my way to pay it forward. Don't hesitate to ask questions or PM me. I'm not a vet and can't give advise, but I can tell you how something relates to our cancer treatment. Sometimes having that human to connect to makes all the difference in the world.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » October 31st, 2009, 5:12 pm

Sofie looks cute w/her shaved face!!! :heartbeat: :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby plebayo » November 3rd, 2009, 11:04 pm

Sofie looks cute w/her shaved face!!! :heartbeat: :)

Hahaha thanks! I think it makes her look less old lady :p

Sofie received the Carboplatin today. Dr. placed the catheter and I was the one who was giving it about 7ccs over a 5 minute time span, twice. She received 150mgs total. I'm hoping it doesn't make her feel gross. I left her on fluids until I got off of work she got about 200mls so hopefully if she gets sick she at least has something until she can get more fluids tomorrow.

Sofie & I have an angel in our corner and Sofie will be having an MRI Thursday. It makes me cry just thinking about how amazing this whole scenario is. I am so excited, yet nervous, to find out how bad it is. I am excited in the fact that we won't be left in the dark anymore and this could help me decide how far to go with the chemo. I am of course nervous in the fact they might say that the tumor is about to invade her brain and give me _________ time span. However, it would be so great to be prepared rather than be sitting here waiting for something horrible to happen. She's been such an awesome dog and I know that she won't be here forever but the thought of losing her right now sucks. It'll give me some sort of idea of what we're dealing with and that's all I can really hope and ask for.

Thanks so much to all of you for the support and well wishes. This would be so hard to have to deal with alone.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » November 4th, 2009, 12:47 am

Sending tons of good thoughts for Thursday! :)

When will you know the results? The same day?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Marinepits » November 4th, 2009, 7:27 am

Can't wait for good news! :clap:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 4th, 2009, 7:59 am

Think positive thoughts!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » November 4th, 2009, 11:13 am

When will you know the results? The same day?

I'm assuming it's same day because they are the diagnostic imaging place so the doctors are there and ready to interpret things. Anyway I'm hoping so, I am one of the most impatient people on the planet, I don't mean in a nasty way but in a little kid anxious kind of way.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby hugapitbull » November 4th, 2009, 2:24 pm

Fingers and paws crossed for you guys.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Pit♥bull » November 4th, 2009, 3:46 pm

As always
:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer