Worm Boy

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » May 1st, 2006, 1:01 pm

poor arturo, he was dewormed april 15th, then april 17th , and now i have to go pick up panacur at my vet, he hasnt had a solid poop since i got him.... just soft serve...... now i have to RE disinfect my yard, use the shovel again, and dig holes..... grrrrrrrr..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » May 1st, 2006, 1:08 pm

that sucks. How do ya know if they got worms?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 1st, 2006, 1:22 pm

Are you sure it's not coccidia? Giordia? Are you doing a fecal each time?

What are you feeding?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » May 1st, 2006, 1:22 pm

either you see worms in their poop or by a fecal test... he has had both done.. whenever i get a new foster dog i take their poop apart with a stick to make sure as if they have worms they cant poop in the normal part of the yard.. once a year my dogs get their poop tested for worms.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » May 1st, 2006, 1:24 pm

Is he eating his poop at all? It's odd for a dog to get worms that much, isn't it? Does he have any immune system problem that is making him more prone?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Purple » May 1st, 2006, 1:24 pm

That poor dog..... :(
Purple
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 1st, 2006, 1:29 pm

What kind of worms and what kind of wormer? Have you tried Ivomec?
You can use it orally.
If it's tapes that won't get them, but it works great for roundworms and (I think) whipworms.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 1st, 2006, 2:27 pm

he doesnt touch his poop, but he is eating the grass, and that means i have to leash him and make him poop in the dirt instead, or start digging up the grass..
he has been dewormed with: drontel, strongid, and now i have to pick up the panacur... the stool samples all came back clean the last 2 times, but because his poop is still soft serve the vet is thinking that there are still some worms hiding that i cant see ... he had roundworms when i first got him home, those i saw.. he had regular poop for 2 days with me, and thats it.. its been soft serve since.. i am thinking he is reinfecting himself by eating the grass.. but he doesnt eat the grass where he poops though, he eats the grass on the opposite side of the yard.... every fecal i bring in shows negative.. yet he cant give a solid poop ..... i am feeding him california natural chicken and rice with acidophilus powder and syn flex for his ankle and a sprig of salmon oil ( 3 drops ) in his food.. he gets no treats except natural ones, and doesnt eat toys or anything ...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » May 1st, 2006, 4:12 pm

Maryellen wrote:he doesnt touch his poop, but he is eating the grass, and that means i have to leash him and make him poop in the dirt instead, or start digging up the grass..
he has been dewormed with: drontel, strongid, and now i have to pick up the panacur... the stool samples all came back clean the last 2 times, but because his poop is still soft serve the vet is thinking that there are still some worms hiding that i cant see ... he had roundworms when i first got him home, those i saw.. he had regular poop for 2 days with me, and thats it.. its been soft serve since.. i am thinking he is reinfecting himself by eating the grass.. but he doesnt eat the grass where he poops though, he eats the grass on the opposite side of the yard.... every fecal i bring in shows negative.. yet he cant give a solid poop ..... i am feeding him california natural chicken and rice with acidophilus powder and syn flex for his ankle and a sprig of salmon oil ( 3 drops ) in his food.. he gets no treats except natural ones, and doesnt eat toys or anything ...

It sounds like you're feeding all good stuff....That's why I'm wondering if it's not something else. Coccidia can live in the ground for a VERY long time. Coccidia is a big problem and can cause soft serve and/or diarrhea (and can only be taken care of with 5 - 7 days of drontal)...

Also, clostridium...normal in the intestines...can cause soft-serve if it overgrows. Usually fixed with some flagyl....

Giordia is usually a problem that occurs when they drink puddles....but not impossible to get if there's been a lot of rain...

Is the soft-serve just soft, or is there any mucous?

Something to try: get regular canned pumpkin. Put a spoonful in every meal. This actually was the trick for both my girls!!!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » May 1st, 2006, 4:16 pm

its regular soft serve, no mucus.. the drontol he got was one pill for one day.. the strongid was liquid, one mouthful one night at the vets. i was thinking the other stuff, but i dont let him drink from puddles, and the rain we had he refused to go outside to pee/poop until it stopped... i will sugges the coccidia and the guardia to the vet when i go to get the 3 days of panacur..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 1st, 2006, 4:17 pm

oh yeah, the old owner said his stomach was very sensitive, and he had soft serve with her too.. but she never did anything about it..

he was also on flagyl for a week and penicillian too for a week with me, as the vet said he had a bacterial infection... but he has beenwith me since 4/15/06 and oout of that time, only 2 poops were normal...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » May 1st, 2006, 4:21 pm

shoot Rocky has been soft last night and today. I will keep and eye. Hope it is just upset stomach
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 1st, 2006, 4:27 pm

Maryellen wrote:its regular soft serve, no mucus.. the drontol he got was one pill for one day.. the strongid was liquid, one mouthful one night at the vets. i was thinking the other stuff, but i dont let him drink from puddles, and the rain we had he refused to go outside to pee/poop until it stopped... i will sugges the coccidia and the guardia to the vet when i go to get the 3 days of panacur..

Also suggest the clostridium....usually flagyl fixes it (and it typically fixes giordia)...

Coccidia is harder to get rid of...

Maryellen wrote:oh yeah, the old owner said his stomach was very sensitive, and he had soft serve with her too.. but she never did anything about it..

I would try the pumpkin....

What about a different food? California Natural is good...but I was thinking maybe a different protein source???

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » May 1st, 2006, 6:09 pm

he was on flagyl all last week, and another penicillian..
i was thinking maybe the CA natural is too rich for him.. maybe the canidae might be better??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 1st, 2006, 6:17 pm

katiek0417 wrote:Also suggest the clostridium....usually flagyl fixes it (and it typically fixes giordia)...

Two of mine came down with a cloistridium issue a couple of winters ago -- it was pretty bad and the flagyl didn't work completely. We ended up using Tylan powder for about a year on each dog until the cloistridium was under control.

Good advice, Katie -- most vets don't think to look for it. My guys saw three different vets before the fourth vet diagnosed it properly.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » May 1st, 2006, 6:18 pm

Maryellen wrote:he was on flagyl all last week, and another penicillian..
i was thinking maybe the CA natural is too rich for him.. maybe the canidae might be better??

Canidae is very good...what about a weight control diet? That might not be as rich....Also, what about beef? I'm trying to think.

Try the pumpkin first to see if that helps some....I swear by it.

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby turtle » May 1st, 2006, 7:36 pm

Maryellen wrote:i was thinking maybe the CA natural is too rich for him.. maybe the canidae might be better??

If you're thinking of changing the protein source, you might try the CA Natural Lamb & Rice and not the Canidae. Canidae is chicken and turkey based so he may do better on a Lamb based food?
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 1st, 2006, 7:53 pm

he was on the CA Natural herring and sweet potato first, and he had the soft serve then, so i figured the chicken and rice to try next, lamb is kinda rich for most dogs. he does have a sensitive stomach, so i have to be careful what i give him,unless the worms were so bad since he was never wormed before that its taking a while to get rid of all of them.... i am going to get the canned pumpkin and try that too..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » May 1st, 2006, 8:01 pm

Marinepits wrote:Two of mine came down with a cloistridium issue a couple of winters ago -- it was pretty bad and the flagyl didn't work completely. We ended up using Tylan powder for about a year on each dog until the cloistridium was under control.

Good advice, Katie -- most vets don't think to look for it. My guys saw three different vets before the fourth vet diagnosed it properly.

My vet checked for it b/c Nisha was only about 4-5 months old when she came down with it...it's apparently common in pups....but she had soft serve/diarrhea for weeks...covered by mucous...they had exhausted all other things (coccidia, giordia, worms, etc)....They looked for clostridia, and her poop was apparently OVERRUN with it....they put her on 2 extra-strength flagyl per day for 14 days....and on a sensitive stomach diet....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Marinepits » May 1st, 2006, 8:18 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
Marinepits wrote:Two of mine came down with a cloistridium issue a couple of winters ago -- it was pretty bad and the flagyl didn't work completely. We ended up using Tylan powder for about a year on each dog until the cloistridium was under control.

My vet checked for it b/c Nisha was only about 4-5 months old when she came down with it...it's apparently common in pups....but she had soft serve/diarrhea for weeks...covered by mucous...they had exhausted all other things (coccidia, giordia, worms, etc)....They looked for clostridia, and her poop was apparently OVERRUN with it....they put her on 2 extra-strength flagyl per day for 14 days....and on a sensitive stomach diet....

Poor Nisha!

My guys are adults and both had the soft serve and diarrhea alternating for weeks, too, and were tested for all the above that you listed. One of them was just crapping nothing but mucous for a few days, so that's when I called a friend of mine who is a vet and lives over an hour away -- I dropped off a sample and got the diagnosis the next morning.

I fed them nothing but cottage cheese and rice or pasta for about 10 days, then weaned them back to a normal kibble diet. After they stabilized on the Tylan powder, I switched them over to Merrick Wilderness blend and weaned them off the Tylan. Thank the lord, no more cloistridium!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health