"Go to Mat" video

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » November 1st, 2009, 12:27 pm

Here's a video I did Friday at Fidos...Fig is working on "Go to Mat" right now. So I figured I'd video the training (well, John did the taping)...since I've been telling Missy that this is a good thing for Gotty to learn. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-OvshTyMZo
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » November 1st, 2009, 12:51 pm

thats awesome! :giggle: its like he's figured out how to push the button and he just keep happily pushing it :)

So, are you throwing the treats off the mat on purpose to get him to "target" (or whatever) again?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 1st, 2009, 1:01 pm

Awesome! I really need to start working with Inara on this. Thanks for the vid!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hundilein » November 1st, 2009, 1:25 pm

So cute! He's definitely got it down. I can't wait to work on this with Missy and Gotty! And I am jealous that you have someone to film you. I'd take way more video if I didn't have to mess around with finding something to set the camera on and trying to keep myself and the dog in frame all the time.

Malli wrote:So, are you throwing the treats off the mat on purpose to get him to "target" (or whatever) again?

I can't answer for Erin, but that is indeed why I throw the treats off the mat when I work on this. If you feed the dog on the mat, he can't go back to the mat for another click because he's already there. Later, when the dog knows how to find the mat and I want to work more on duration, I do treat on the mat sometimes.

And now, Erin, I'm going to be picky for a moment, so if you don't want to hear nit-picking, stop reading :mrgreen:
Several times you reached for the treat before you clicked. I know you know this, but the click needs to come first, and reaching for the treat before or as you click is often distracting for the dog.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » November 1st, 2009, 1:39 pm

Hundilein wrote:So cute! He's definitely got it down. I can't wait to work on this with Missy and Gotty! And I am jealous that you have someone to film you. I'd take way more video if I didn't have to mess around with finding something to set the camera on and trying to keep myself and the dog in frame all the time.

Malli wrote:So, are you throwing the treats off the mat on purpose to get him to "target" (or whatever) again?

I can't answer for Erin, but that is indeed why I throw the treats off the mat when I work on this. If you feed the dog on the mat, he can't go back to the mat for another click because he's already there. Later, when the dog knows how to find the mat and I want to work more on duration, I do treat on the mat sometimes.

Yup, I was throwing the treats off of the mat so he'd move off the mat...thus giving himself a chance to get the c/t by getting back on that mat.

And now, Erin, I'm going to be picky for a moment, so if you don't want to hear nit-picking, stop reading :mrgreen:
Several times you reached for the treat before you clicked. I know you know this, but the click needs to come first, and reaching for the treat before or as you click is often distracting for the dog.

Yeah, I knew I was reaching for the treat first :rolleyes2: ...I set up the space for the video, and had the treats behind me...and it was awkward, and I found myself reaching for treats first...trying to get them while he was occupied...since it was taking him so long to eat them. I was not giving myself a c/t for that! :D I couldn't find my bait bags...and didn't want to keep turning with the camera running (figured I'd end up having my butt in the frame or something).
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby furever_pit » November 10th, 2009, 10:41 pm

He's definitely getting it!
And so happy about it. I'm not usually a doxie fan, but he's a cutie.

So when do you add the command?

I might have to try this with my little monster puppy who absolutely can not figure out how to calm down or be still.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » November 10th, 2009, 11:04 pm

furever_pit wrote:He's definitely getting it!
And so happy about it. I'm not usually a doxie fan, but he's a cutie.

So when do you add the command?

I might have to try this with my little monster puppy who absolutely can not figure out how to calm down or be still.

I always tell my students to add the cue when they're willing to bet $200 on it... :D

I like to try it in different situations before I add the cue, myself. I'll be adding a verbal cue soon. I should say, of course the mat coming out is a cue already. ;)

It's a handy exercise...esp. now that we have all the puppies/dogs in class doing this, so we have much quieter classes!

How to add the cue
http://www.clickersolutions.com/article ... ddcue2.htm

TheRedQueen

Return to Training & Behavior