Meet our new foster boy!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby madremissy » October 25th, 2009, 5:57 pm

Yep, you are correct for those of you who recognize. That is Gotty.

I have written this 3 times because I am hesitant about posting. :oops: This is probably going to be kinda long and confusing so stick with me. :rolleyes2:

Due to circumstances not in their control Josh and Bristol had to leave Gotty. I have decided that I will keep him (for now) and get his manners under control and give him some much needed attention.

He is a good boy (gooberhead) but I will not leave him upstairs in the apartment in his kennel all the time. He just needs a refresher course on his manners and commands. My problem areas have always been Kinzyl and Gotty in the main house at the same time. The kitchen is a problem area due to Gotty knowing that food is in there and that is definitely one of his high priority things in his head.

As you can see both rooms (the den and living room come off the kitchen and it is difficult to block them off.

The past couple of days have been an adjustment but it is working so far. We are doing a "room and rotate" thing. My bedroom has Kinzyl's kennel in it and he is wonderful in the kennel but I would like him to have more family time.

During the day they are fine on the porch. See front porch below:

Like I said during the day I let them play on porch, they each get walked and play time in the yard. Night time is the hardest to me I guess. Last couple of nights I have been putting each in the bedroom with a frozen Kong and let the other out in the house to watch TV or whatever with us. When it is time to go to bed. Gotty goes right to the kennel lays down and goes to sleep. Kinzyl and Sammy are in bed with me. No problems.

My question is, Should this be the norm or how should I try to see if they can both coexist. I am working on Gotty not being able to cross the threshold of the kitchen when I am in there. He sits at the edge. Kiznyl usually has her spot on the couch. This of course, is when they are seperated.

When they have gotten into a scuffle it is usually Kinzyl who walks up to Gotty or behind him and then he does a little growl and BAM it is on. It is easily broken up with me yelling no and grabbing Kinzyl's collar. That has only happened once in kitchen and 2 other times outside over when one of them threw up and the other was a tennis ball on top of the bakers rack on the porch. Oh yeah and one time when I was giving treats while they were doing the sit command next to one another.

I guess I am nervous about how to do this and just need a step by step guide. Kinzyl is not a resource guarder with Sammy at all. He can jump in front of her on the couch when she has a bone but he is also aware that she has it and has manners about it. You know what I mean? They can both be side by side and get their treats but I do feed them seperately across the kitchen from one another. Now remember that is Sammy and Kinzyl.

I guess I just need to give myself time.

Also, Travis and I have never thought about having 3 dogs at a time. So we have got our schedule and household accustomed to the two we have now. Our vacations are planned with the dogs in mind and our schedules are planned with them in mind. So please don't flame me when I say I am also looking at a rescue that could help me find Gotty a loving home where he can receive all the attention he deserves. I don't know for sure yet but it is a possibility. I can and will keep him here until a proper and experienced home is found.

Please if you have any ideas or questions just tell me and I will try to explain further.

Demo and Michelle, I am very interested in your thoughts. I know that my two are no where near trained like yours but maybe you could give me some pointers on how to start slowly. I just keep picturing their Christmas picture in my head and I would love to have Kinzyl and Gotty lay in the house next to each other like that. :D

Like I said I was nervous about putting this out there but I just want the best for all the dogs in this house and I don't want to screw ANY of them up. :sad2:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby madremissy » October 25th, 2009, 8:21 pm

Anybody :|
madremissy

Postby airwalk » October 25th, 2009, 8:34 pm

hmm well good for you and Travis. Actually I think Gotty may be in very good hands even if you aren't so sure.

Now this is me and remember I don't have a multiple bully house, but I see nothing wrong with Kinzyl and Sammy being able to sleep with you and Gotty in the kennel. Scooter and Magic have run of the house and Doogie sleeps in his crate. No one here seems to mind very much.

I think it's okay to teach Gotty the kitchen doors are a boundary and he only enters if invited. This is no different than teaching them to sit for leashes and collars or doors.

I'm sure there are many others that can give you much more specific assistance, but from me...good for you and good for Gotty. He's in very good, loving hands and will be a better dog because of it.

If you decide to find a rescue for Gotty, then it will be because you know it's the best decision for you and him. Nothing wrong with that.
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » October 25th, 2009, 8:37 pm

I'll let others that crate n' rotate step in before I open my mouth...I can't advise on that so much. Plus, I'm on a commercial break from The Amazing Race and have limited time right now... :wink:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » October 25th, 2009, 8:42 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:I'll let others that crate n' rotate step in before I open my mouth...I can't advise on that so much. Plus, I'm on a commercial break from The Amazing Race and have limited time right now... :wink:

That is just it. I don't want to have to crate and rotate if I don't have to. :? They get along everywhere else. I just want to know how to do or what not to do about the house area.
madremissy

Postby TheRedQueen » October 25th, 2009, 8:49 pm

madremissy wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:I'll let others that crate n' rotate step in before I open my mouth...I can't advise on that so much. Plus, I'm on a commercial break from The Amazing Race and have limited time right now... :wink:

That is just it. I don't want to have to crate and rotate if I don't have to. :? They get along everywhere else. I just want to know how to do or what not to do about the house area.

Sorry, should have said...I'll let others that deal with dog-dog issues in the same household step in before I talk. Mine all live out and about with each other with no limitations, so while I can tell you what I think, it's not the voice of experience. :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby madremissy » October 25th, 2009, 8:56 pm

Thanks Erin.
madremissy

Postby TheRedQueen » October 25th, 2009, 8:57 pm

madremissy wrote:Thanks Erin.

Just didn't want you to think I was ignorin' ya! :hug3:

TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » October 25th, 2009, 8:57 pm

Awww... Gooberhead!!! :heartbeat:

I take it you already practice NILIF w/all of them (or at least Gotty & Kinzyl)?
As you know... I have the instigatin' puppy-from-hell (Faust) living at my house, and now we often DO take turns w/crating, simply because it makes life easier.
Today Faust was crated w/a cow hoof for a few hours while Sepp and I had some one-on-one time in the yard. Then Faust got to go out w/Daisy while Sepp stayed in the house w/a bone... neither dog feels "deprived", as far as I can tell.
When all three dogs are out in the house I keep a drag leash on Faust, in case someone gets snarky and I have to separate them quickly. So far that has worked very well for us.
Good obedience is very important also... practice it w/them individually as often as possible.
Mine are able to be out together, and take treats sitting next to each other - but supervision at all times is key, as you know.

They sell free-standing baby gates that expand to 8 feet (I think that's how long mine is?), and I use mine to block off the kitchen/front porch sometimes.

I'm so glad you took Gotty in for the time being, and I hope that he will find an awesome home, if you decide to adopt him out. I know how much work three dogs can be... especially when they decide not to get along at times. :wink: :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » October 25th, 2009, 9:07 pm

madremissy wrote:
That is just it. I don't want to have to crate and rotate if I don't have to. :?

I used to be the same way... I used to think it was cruel to crate/rotate. :sad2:
However... if it comes down to either doing that or rehoming one of my dogs I am willing to adjust to keep everyone safe, and at home. :|
Like I said in my previous post - as far as I can tell the dogs don't mind half as much as I thought they would, and I'm getting pretty comfortable w/the new routine myself. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » October 25th, 2009, 10:01 pm

Just for the record. I don't want anyone to think that Brit and Josh just up and left Gotty here. This was something they HAD to do. Many of you know Josh's job has carried him traveling for a while. Well he has finally come back to Georgia and has a really good thing happening in North Georgia. This just happens to be close to his Dad's house and he offered the invitation for them to come stay with him. Well this included everyone but Gotty. :( Josh did ask me about it first and we decided that it would be best that the newly married couple be together.

As for Kinzyl and Gotty. Like I told Diana. I am just trying to get one PITA instigating shih tzu, one ADD hyperactive gooberhead and one princess to all be able to get along in the house as well as they do on the porch.
Sammy, I believe is my problem child. Kinzyl is used to him running around like a maniac barking at her but if he goes chasing after Gotty, Kinzyl runs to and they all run together I don't want any misunderstanding. Does that makes sense?

As for a drag line??? How do you put that on them without it getting all tangled up in everything? I know these sound like stupid questions but we are talking about my crazy dogs.

So far the doggie shuffle is working out fine. I don't feel that anyone is being ignored. Like Travis said, he is getting a lot more attention with the doggie shuffle then he was before with just quick potty time a couple times a day and then back up to the apartment with Bristol.

Maybe I just needed to just put it out there and get everyone opinion and support. :oops:
madremissy

Postby amazincc » October 25th, 2009, 10:08 pm

I wasn't thinking *anything* of the sort, actually. :wink:

I am happy that Gooberhead is with you! :D

A drag leash is a leash w/out a "handle/loop", just like a long rope. This way it doesn't get tangled, but you can quickly step on it or grab it... they come in different lengths.
You do have my support in whatever decision you make... I hope my previous posts didn't sound otherwise. :?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » October 25th, 2009, 10:17 pm

No, Christine I didn't think you meant anything other than offer your advice and support. Thank you.

BTW, can someone give me a link for the best place to get a drag leash.
madremissy

Postby amazincc » October 25th, 2009, 10:32 pm

http://leerburg.com/dragleash.htm

OR a "(horse) lunge line, which is way cheaper, like this...

http://www.tackroominc.com/kincade-lung ... e015b29fe7

Check your local feed store as well.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » October 25th, 2009, 10:38 pm

Thanks, I have a feed store. :dance:

3 to 5 feet hmmmmmm I am going to have to be quick on my toes. :giggle:
madremissy

Postby amazincc » October 25th, 2009, 10:40 pm

madremissy wrote:

3 to 5 feet hmmmmmm I am going to have to be quick on my toes. :giggle:

You can get them longer... Faust has a 15-feet lunge line, plus a shorter one when I think he's feeling *froggy*. lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » October 25th, 2009, 10:47 pm

I just picture myself diving for the damn thing and landing on my face and then him pulling me around on the tile and wood floors. :crazy2: Just my crazy way of thinking. :wink:
madremissy

Postby mnp13 » October 25th, 2009, 11:06 pm

I've been at a dog show all weekend, sorry. There's a lot to think about on this, I'll post tomorrow, promise! :)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby madremissy » October 25th, 2009, 11:26 pm

Let me add something. I was talking to someone and I realized I left this out.

Gotty was living upstairs in an apartment above our garage with Brit and Josh. Yes, I could do that same I did during the day ( as in letting him play on porch and play time in yard during the day) while they were here but he always had a "house" upstairs to go to. Now, I want to be able to turn the electricity off up there to save some money. Therefore, he has to be in the house with us.

I hope that makes better sense now.
madremissy

Postby Malli » October 26th, 2009, 12:52 am

just wanted to wish you the best and thank you for trying on Gotty's behalf :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Next

Return to Training & Behavior