Specifically about Pit Bulls...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » October 21st, 2009, 3:29 pm

mnp13 wrote:Yeah, well, "clicker training hippie mom" must do something right because she can leave her dog in a room for a few hours with bags of treats sitting on a chair, and that bag will still be there when she comes back. Maybe we all need to be hippies for a while. :wink: Hey Demo! Go get some tie dyes

Kuuuummmbbbaaayyyaaaaahhhh...everyone join hands now...dance around barefoot.......you too Demo.... :D

dlynne1123 wrote: Then when done. both back into crates. LIke a little time to think about what they did right.

This is one thing I never "got." The guy we used to train with used to do that between sessions of bite work. I never understood it at all. Riggs have never liked his crate at all, he hasn't since the first minute I got him, and I have worked extensively to get him used to it, and in the three and a half years I've had him he has never gotten better about it. John used to have me out him (a long and difficult process) and the "reward" after the out was to stick him back in the crate. huh? He lets go - which he doesn't want to do - and the next thing I do is something that he hates. So what's his incentive to let go next time? I was always explained to me that they will "think about the last thing they did and be more excited about it when they come out" which is true for dogs who like their crates, but if you have a dog who doesn't completely love its crate - or is at least completely indifferent to it - then in my opinion you're not doing yourself any favors in this department.

I agree...and honestly...even though my dogs like their crates, and go into them willingly...are they really "thinking" about things in there? I'm not sure they're capable of complex thoughts like that...and not sure they'd be thinking about the good things they just did if they can think like that. :wink:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » October 21st, 2009, 6:23 pm

Well... drag leashes and "peer" corrections are a wonderful thing. :D
Sepp finally had enough this morning and put Faust in his place... and I let him. After trying to make Sepp leave his bed by growling/staring and then biting his ears, and me correcting Faust twice for it (he was attached to me by a leash), Sepp let out a roar and pinned Faust down... major growling, teeth clacking and air-snapping ensued. It looked pretty serious and was very noisy as well, but there was no biting from either dog, and when Faust started squealing (because he couldn't get up) I called Sepp off and let him return to his bed. Faust decided that the carpet was just as good a place to lay down on as the bed Sepp was in... he licked Sepps mouth for a few seconds and wagged his tail while doing it. After about an hour he tried to take over the bed again, but that time all it took was a curling of the lips from Sepp... and Faust lowered his head/tail and walked away. :dance:
So... I'm hopeful that it's just bratty, pushy puppy-behavior which we will work on. I also invited the tree guys' big dog for another play session this weekend.
The fence idiocy has stopped as well... Faust now comes immediately when I call him while other people walk past our yard w/their dogs. Lots of clicks/treats for that one... today he actually looked at me first when he spotted another Pit Bull and his owner coming towards our yard. :)
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback - Faust is a very smart dog, and I think it was the somewhat lax training on my part that created the little monster. :oops:
I'm also thinking that some dogs need more structure and more very clearly defined boundaries than others - and Faust happens to be one of those.
He's gonna keep me on my toes - that's for sure. :P
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 21st, 2009, 6:50 pm

Well done, Seppel! That's awesome. Hopefully Mr. Big Britches will leave Sepp alone now.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby LMM » October 21st, 2009, 10:22 pm

Great update for Faust and Sepp!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby airwalk » October 21st, 2009, 10:47 pm

Good news, may I borrow Sepp to teach Doogie some manners???
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » October 21st, 2009, 11:07 pm

airwalk wrote:Good news, may I borrow Sepp to teach Doogie some manners???

Sure... he works for food. :wink: lol

You may also borrow Faust... it will give you a whole new outlook and a newfound appreciation for Doogie, I swear. :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » October 21st, 2009, 11:20 pm

Works for food...sounds like Doogie & Scooter he'll fit right in....nope no new puppies the one I have is being twit enough thanks! I'll let you keep him and we can share the pain.
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » October 21st, 2009, 11:31 pm

airwalk wrote:Works for food...sounds like Doogie & Scooter he'll fit right in....nope no new puppies the one I have is being twit enough thanks! I'll let you keep him and we can share the pain.

Don't you just HATE dogs w/HUGE personalities and a mind of their own??? :wink: :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » October 22nd, 2009, 12:04 am

Yep..just hate them...that's why I keep picking them..dogs with 'tude.... :rolleyes2:
airwalk
I live here

Postby mnp13 » October 22nd, 2009, 1:14 am

airwalk wrote:Good news, may I borrow Sepp to teach Doogie some manners???

I'll send you Ruby if you want, but watch out, she's a major pillow hog.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby airwalk » October 22nd, 2009, 8:45 am

Now that might not be an issue..Scooter is a bed hog, but not necessarily a pillow hog. He might be willing to share with Ruby, she's cute.
airwalk
I live here

Postby mnp13 » October 22nd, 2009, 1:09 pm

amazincc wrote:After about an hour he tried to take over the bed again, but that time all it took was a curling of the lips from Sepp... and Faust lowered his head/tail and walked away.

here, I'll translate: "do it and die" lol
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » October 22nd, 2009, 1:11 pm

yay Seppel! He opened up a can of whoopass :D
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » October 22nd, 2009, 3:39 pm

So far, so good... I think the bed issue is resolved. :D
Faust has been very respectful since Sepp pinned him down. I'm still keeping him on a drag leash in the house, and I do the occasional crate/rotate, just in case. Also only supervised play outside...

Time will tell. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby dlynne1123 » October 23rd, 2009, 3:57 pm

mnp13 wrote:Lojac from Punchline? The one that looked kinda like Riggs? I think he's the one who - even while still a major porker - managed to scale the kennel wall and jam himself through a space about 6 inches high (if I remember right) to get at Rumble. They do the most absurd things when they decide they want to cause trouble.

Yup, the same Lojac!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior