Teaching The Stand

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TinaMartin » October 15th, 2009, 9:14 am

I have started to work with Sorsha on stand and have been having a horrible time with her stepping forward. Lots of great info thanks guys!
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
User avatar
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer
 
Posts: 1240
Location: Rochester NY

Postby Malli » October 15th, 2009, 12:36 pm

if she understands verbal corrections then I find those work really well with Oscar.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
_______________________________________
"You didn't know of the magical powers of the break stick? It's up there with genies and Harry Potter as far as magic levels go." SisMorphine 01/07/07
User avatar
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!
 
Posts: 6341
Location: CANADA EH?

Postby TinaMartin » October 15th, 2009, 3:53 pm

The problem is she is linking the verbal correction not with the step forward but I think with the stand itself. I am sure that is something that I am not doing right but if there is another effective way to work on it with her then I think it is better for communication. She stands and steps at the same time and in bulldog smaht fashion she just runs into my hand or hunches her butt if my hand is closer.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
User avatar
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer
 
Posts: 1240
Location: Rochester NY

Postby TheRedQueen » October 15th, 2009, 4:03 pm

TinaMartin wrote:The problem is she is linking the verbal correction not with the step forward but I think with the stand itself. I am sure that is something that I am not doing right but if there is another effective way to work on it with her then I think it is better for communication. She stands and steps at the same time and in bulldog smaht fashion she just runs into my hand or hunches her butt if my hand is closer.


I like to click for the stand (obviously)...at first I click for any stand...no matter where the feet are, etc...then I click for more polished stands. If they move their feet, head, etc...they just don't get clicked. Simple as that. Can't be much clearer.

Never do I correct for new behaviors...because they don't know what is expected anyway. If the dog doesn't know the behavior, how can you correct it? (not singling you out there Tina...just talking at large).
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
User avatar
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.
 
Posts: 7184
Location: Maryland

Postby TinaMartin » October 15th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Dont worry about my feelings and feel free to single me out. :dance:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
User avatar
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer
 
Posts: 1240
Location: Rochester NY

Postby Malli » October 16th, 2009, 1:08 am

yeah I wouldn't refine the command until you know she knows it, baby steps ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
_______________________________________
"You didn't know of the magical powers of the break stick? It's up there with genies and Harry Potter as far as magic levels go." SisMorphine 01/07/07
User avatar
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!
 
Posts: 6341
Location: CANADA EH?

Postby katiek0417 » October 16th, 2009, 6:53 am

TheRedQueen wrote:I like to click for the stand (obviously)...at first I click for any stand...no matter where the feet are, etc...then I click for more polished stands. If they move their feet, head, etc...they just don't get clicked. Simple as that. Can't be much clearer.

Never do I correct for new behaviors...because they don't know what is expected anyway. If the dog doesn't know the behavior, how can you correct it? (not singling you out there Tina...just talking at large).


Erin, I've been doing this with my puppy...and he is definitely "getting" it.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby TinaMartin » October 16th, 2009, 8:18 am

You guys will be happy that last night Sorsha clicked her way to a stand with no wiggle. :mrgreen:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
User avatar
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer
 
Posts: 1240
Location: Rochester NY

Postby TheRedQueen » October 16th, 2009, 9:59 am

TinaMartin wrote:You guys will be happy that last night Sorsha clicked her way to a stand with no wiggle. :mrgreen:


:woowoo:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
User avatar
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.
 
Posts: 7184
Location: Maryland

Postby TinaMartin » October 16th, 2009, 12:04 pm

Now I just need to connect the voice command and hand signal to it and we will be in business.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
User avatar
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer
 
Posts: 1240
Location: Rochester NY

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]

cron