To Rabies Vaccinate or Not?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby madremissy » October 14th, 2009, 10:02 pm

Thanks Matt, I am going to see if I can read that and understand it. :?

And Jenn, I know that when you said "Gotty" you meant Sammy :wink: Remember Gotty and Kinzyl are siblings so they are both 3.

The one person I did ask personally was Dr. Blabs and she was the one who told me what to ask my vet. I am aware that she only does 3 years and that is what I wanted. My vet wouldn't do that. >( That was when I was about to board Kinzyl and I knew I had to the the bordetello (sp?) but I was concerned with the others.

Before next year I am going to get Sammy's bloodwork done to find out what would be best for him.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Marinepits » October 14th, 2009, 10:27 pm

madremissy wrote:And Jenn, I know that when you said "Gotty" you meant Sammy :wink: Remember Gotty and Kinzyl are siblings so they are both 3.

:lol3: I'm blonde at least once a day! :wave2: :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » October 14th, 2009, 10:28 pm

Several times a day for me. :wink:
madremissy

Postby call2arms » October 14th, 2009, 10:53 pm

I find that the vaccination protocols really depend on the vets/clinic - one of the ones I work at is every 3 years, easy going, vaccinate the least possible (depending on where the dog goes, tick exposition, etc) and the other one is pretty strict about doing most vaccines every year, but the owner is allowed to decline (of course) without a big deal. We do an every 3 years, spread out everything out... We do DHPP, wait a while, bordetella (the kennel requires proof of it) and if needed, rabies. But we always separate everything. I always get paranoid that I might bring something home from work, even though I change my shoes, pants and shirt.

I'm personally thinking about maybe, possibly, perhaps... vaccinating for lepto - seen a few dogs with it and a dog die from it not long ago, she had a pretty horrible last week of life - and maybe even Lyme - we had a dog in a lot of pain from it last week as well. I was never really worried about either diseases, until the last few months where it seems like we're seeing quite a few cases - but then again, I'm trying to balance myself thinking that I get to see the worst of it.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » October 15th, 2009, 12:17 am

Oscar gets a 3 yr rabies and a one year bundled vaccine; here, this is the "norm"

maberi wrote:
Malli wrote:I've no idea if they've always bundled them or not, or if it may tie into if the diseases are at some level related.

It would be nice if they could be given seperately, but it also may be more expensive because it was more (concievably) injections... :|

And it is indeed more

I for one would space the vaccinations out so you not only get dinged for the separate vaccinations, but the office visits as well

Malli wrote:did I read that wrong?

Matt, were you intending to be sarcastic? Was it directed toward me? I don't get it :neutral:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby DemoDick » October 15th, 2009, 12:45 am

maberi wrote:I for one would space the vaccinations out so you not only get dinged for the separate vaccinations, but the office visits as well

This comment seems to have generated a bit of controversy and questions. These seem silly to me, as I know Matt pretty well. Though I don't claim to speak for Matt, I think he was explaining how his preferred method of admistering vaccines (doing so one at a time over a relatively long time period to provide for more accurate assessment of potential side effects of individual vaccines) could end up costing a LOT more than once visit with as few shots as possible, assuming no side effects pop up.

This would seem to me to be a clear cut case of why some people should administer vaccines at home whenever possible.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Marinepits » October 15th, 2009, 8:34 am

As a person who does get her dogs' vaccines spaced out over several office visits because of the dogs' health issues, I only get charged the initial office visit fee. The next time I come in, Dr Blabs just gives the shot and that's it -- no physical exam or anything else. (Well, except chatting of course. :giggle: ) Most vet offices I know do this and do NOT charge separate office visit fees every time for every separate vaccine.

Also, the rabies vaccine is the only vaccine that is required by state law to be given by a veterinarian. All other vaccines can be given by a tech. If Dr Blabs is busy, I've had techs give my crew the other core vaccines.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » October 15th, 2009, 8:36 am

Sorry my original post was poorly worded. I was trying to convey exactly what Demo indicated below

I do have them space vaccinations out for a longer time period instead of getting all vaccinations at once. It ends up costing quite a bit more, but I feel it is the safest protocol for my guys at this point.

No sarcasm was intended

DemoDick wrote:
maberi wrote:I for one would space the vaccinations out so you not only get dinged for the separate vaccinations, but the office visits as well

This comment seems to have generated a bit of controversy and questions. These seem silly to me, as I know Matt pretty well. Though I don't claim to speak for Matt, I think he was explaining how his preferred method of admistering vaccines (doing so one at a time over a relatively long time period to provide for more accurate assessment of potential side effects of individual vaccines) could end up costing a LOT more than once visit with as few shots as possible, assuming no side effects pop up.

This would seem to me to be a clear cut case of why some people should administer vaccines at home whenever possible.

Demo Dick
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby TheRedQueen » October 15th, 2009, 9:01 am

Marinepits wrote:As a person who does get her dogs' vaccines spaced out over several office visits because of the dogs' health issues, I only get charged the initial office visit fee. The next time I come in, Dr Blabs just gives the shot and that's it -- no physical exam or anything else. (Well, except chatting of course. :giggle: ) Most vet offices I know do this and do NOT charge separate office visit fees every time for every separate vaccine.

Also, the rabies vaccine is the only vaccine that is required by state law to be given by a veterinarian. All other vaccines can be given by a tech. If Dr Blabs is busy, I've had techs give my crew the other core vaccines.

this is how my vet's office works too...and they're not a big fancy vet...but a large animal/small animal practice in a more rural part of my area. (but I :heartbeat: them). I space my gang's vaccinations out...which makes me very familiar to my vet office at large...as they see me more than just once a year for each animal. They don't charge me office visits for just a vaccination.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » October 15th, 2009, 11:16 am

Our vet does exactly what we ask for, no more, no less. :| We have unbundled our vaccinations and we titer. It costs a lot more, but after all of the problems that people have had with vaccinations and my personal feelings about vaccinations in general - for people and animals - I'd rather pay more.

For those of you who have vets who refuse to do as you ask (within the limits of the law of course) I would look into different vets.

madremissy wrote: I am aware that she only does 3 years and that is what I wanted. My vet wouldn't do that.

If every three years is legal in your state, and that's what you want, it's not up to your vet, it's up to you.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby madremissy » October 15th, 2009, 11:22 am

I know Michelle. :oops: I am going to have a long talk with my vet before they have any other vaccines. That is why I am trying to get as much information and understand so that I can do the best thing for the dogs.
Thanks for the little push for me to get some balls and tell them exactly what I want instead of letting them tell me what they need. :)
madremissy

Postby mnp13 » October 15th, 2009, 12:29 pm

I don't mean to sound bitchy, I hate hearing that you're being pushed around. Yes, they are highly educated medical professionals and I am not discounting that, but in some things I think people in all professions get stuck in "that's how we've always done it" mode.

I recently had to deal with that with an issue with my own health, and I allowed my personal doctor to push me around. Then I went home, regrouped, got some backup, and went in for round two. I'm not saying it's easy to do!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby madremissy » October 15th, 2009, 1:54 pm

mnp13 wrote:I don't mean to sound bitchy, I hate hearing that you're being pushed around. Yes, they are highly educated medical professionals and I am not discounting that, but in some things I think people in all professions get stuck in "that's how we've always done it" mode.

I recently had to deal with that with an issue with my own health, and I allowed my personal doctor to push me around. Then I went home, regrouped, got some backup, and went in for round two. I'm not saying it's easy to do!

You aren't being bitchy at all. I am telling my mom to do the same things. Everytime she walks in Tassy's vet they want to to so much to her. So she is looking into changing vets. She said that they are making her feel like she needs to do things and when she questions it they get defensive. Keep saying "well it is best for Tassy and if you want to take care of her" She finally told him that she takes better care of Tassy than she does Daddy. :giggle:

I am going to talk to my vet and tell her my concerns and what I want. Like I said I like this thread it is very informative and just the right push I needed to speak up.
madremissy

Postby Anointed Farms » October 15th, 2009, 3:39 pm

Have a dog get rabies or pervo see how you like it then, you will not say that you don't like to get the shots. Its a very horrible death for them. I've seen it with my own 2 eyes
Anointed Farms
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » October 15th, 2009, 3:47 pm

madremissy wrote:You aren't being bitchy at all. I am telling my mom to do the same things. Everytime she walks in Tassy's vet they want to to so much to her. So she is looking into changing vets. She said that they are making her feel like she needs to do things and when she questions it they get defensive. Keep saying "well it is best for Tassy and if you want to take care of her" She finally told him that she takes better care of Tassy than she does Daddy. :giggle:

I am going to talk to my vet and tell her my concerns and what I want. Like I said I like this thread it is very informative and just the right push I needed to speak up.

My parents call me when the dogs have issues...or if they've been to the vet. Now they tell the vets "we just want ____ vax done today", and then they call me to ask if the dog(s) should get the other stuff their vet told them to get. :)

I'm very proud of them. 8)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby call2arms » October 15th, 2009, 7:34 pm

Matt, especially with your history, I think it would only be fair that your dog(s) can get their vaccination separate for a single checkup, and the actual shot fees. Will they consider that at all? I know my boss would totally do it, but he's an easygoing hippie.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby maberi » October 15th, 2009, 8:27 pm

call2arms wrote:Matt, especially with your history, I think it would only be fair that your dog(s) can get their vaccination separate for a single checkup, and the actual shot fees. Will they consider that at all? I know my boss would totally do it, but he's an easygoing hippie.

I'm sure they will when I speak with them. They have been extremely flexible with me during the yearly exams with the boys. Earl's titers were low for both Distemper and Parvo. I had his rabies done so will probably boost him for the others within a few weeks from now.

Thanks
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby DemoDick » October 15th, 2009, 9:54 pm

Anointed Farms wrote:Have a dog get rabies or pervo see how you like it then, you will not say that you don't like to get the shots. Its a very horrible death for them. I've seen it with my own 2 eyes

Pervo? Is that something that causes uncontrollable humping?

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby TheRedQueen » October 15th, 2009, 10:10 pm

DemoDick wrote:
Anointed Farms wrote:Have a dog get rabies or pervo see how you like it then, you will not say that you don't like to get the shots. Its a very horrible death for them. I've seen it with my own 2 eyes

Pervo? Is that something that causes uncontrollable humping?

Demo Dick

Ah! :) So that's what John is infected with...it all makes sense now!

TheRedQueen

Postby Marinepits » October 15th, 2009, 10:11 pm

LMAO

:shock: Dammit! I mean,

:topic:

Now cut it out.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health