Rose and other dogs

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Dan+Bec13 » October 14th, 2009, 5:09 pm

Rose has a bit of an attitude problem when it comes to meeting dogs. It is an interesting problem that I have never encountered before and worries me a little. When rose meets any dog she will tense up, stare the dog down, and then pull and lunge trying to get at the dog. Then the problem splits. If it is a larger dog, such as our dog Maddie, pretty much the next time she sees the dog she is fine and gets along with the dog. We have not had one single problem with Rose trying to fight Maddie since we have had her at our place, they get along just fine, and act great with one another. Rose also did the same thing with two of our neighbors dogs, but is fine when she shes them out in the yard now.

The other side of the story is small dogs. When rose meets small dogs she does the same thing, but never gives up. We tried to introduce her to Jodis, jodi on the forum, dauchson and it just wasn't happening. We took the two dogs home for the past few days and Rose would not stop fixating on my familys cockerspanial. Even when I had her on a leash in a sit position focusing on me she would fight it and try to look around to find her. She stayed tense and wouldn't relax.

I really want to figure out if maybe it's prey drive because I don't think she is DA. I just want to make sure I can do everything possible for her before I adopt her out. I also want as much info on her so I can give it to any potential adopter. As always any advice is welcomed and appreciated.
Dan+Bec13
Just Whelped

Postby DemoDick » October 14th, 2009, 7:28 pm

What do you mean by "attitude problem?" It would probably be helpful if you could video what you're talking about.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Dan+Bec13 » October 14th, 2009, 9:28 pm

When Rose is trying to be introduced to a dog she will tense up. She is very lean and muscular. You can see all the muscle in her front legs and chest. She stares intensly at the dog with eye contact and will start snarling and lungeing at the dog trying to bite. If I can get a video I'll post it, but I would rather not just put her in front of another dog at this point until I have a better idea of how to introduce her to another dog.
Dan+Bec13
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » October 14th, 2009, 10:36 pm

I'd be willing to do a 'meet and greet' with Ruby if you'd like. We could take a look at their reactions and see what we come up with.

Dan+Bec13 wrote:She stares intensly at the dog with eye contact and will start snarling and lungeing at the dog trying to bite.

I don't think we should bother doing one with Riggs, but I suppose we could just for sheer amusement. :wink: (no, I'm not serious)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Dan+Bec13 » October 15th, 2009, 7:23 pm

That would be great and I would really appreciate it. I just don't see how she can be all happy go lucky after the second time meeting a larger dog, and just want to kill a small dog.
Dan+Bec13
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior