Neutering...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ellie@ny » April 30th, 2006, 11:31 am

Finally I've decided that Nico never gonna match the breed quality what I think is breed quality,so he will be neutered early summer.I heard that's make the dogs calmer.Is it gonna change his working quality too?He's a high food drive dog,and I have plans with him.So anybody has an experience with this? :| Thanx!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby SisMorphine » April 30th, 2006, 11:43 am

Though I didn't know Halo prior to neutering, he is now neutered and still has a very high food and toy drive. And he's a spaz. So if neutering calmed him down I wouldn't want to see what he was like beforehand . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 30th, 2006, 11:53 am

The dogs I have had that were fixed were not at all changed besides that they were missing parts heheh :wink:
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Malli » April 30th, 2006, 12:28 pm

Oscar didn't change at all :|

In fact, the day AFTER his surgery I had to phone the clinic because I had this insane zooming dog on my hands and would have had to "leash walk" him for about 2 hours a day for the 14 days after!

Oh, BTW, good luck with that restricted exercise bit :lol3: :twisted:

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby girlie » April 30th, 2006, 12:52 pm

When i got my girl fixed they kept telling me "limit her movement, she'll be very tired and in a great deal of pain, so please make sure to not encourage her to move around much at all...."

Please!! When i was picking her up after the procedure she was pulling the vet tech into the front room to get me, as usual she jumped up to give me a kiss....haha...that "limit movement" crap went right out the window. I didn't encourage her, but she sure didn't slow down.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby ellie@ny » April 30th, 2006, 2:12 pm

Thanks guys!Then I'm just gonna go for it,after we moved.... :shocker:
I feel that's the best for all of us! :)
Ellie
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 30th, 2006, 2:21 pm

No Nuts Nico! :D
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » April 30th, 2006, 3:04 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:No Nuts Nico! :D

Yup! And no crying at heat season... :rolleyes2: I was try to make excuses for way too long,now it's time........ :twisted: I feel bad tough...
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby msvette2u » April 30th, 2006, 3:40 pm

pitcess wrote:When i got my girl fixed they kept telling me "limit her movement, she'll be very tired and in a great deal of pain, so please make sure to not encourage her to move around much at all...."

Please!! When i was picking her up after the procedure she was pulling the vet tech into the front room to get me, as usual she jumped up to give me a kiss....haha...that "limit movement" crap went right out the window. I didn't encourage her, but she sure didn't slow down.

Lambie, the most recent dog to have the "big fix" didn't slow down one bit either. You'd have never known anything happened...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby pLaurent » April 30th, 2006, 7:50 pm

Is it gonna change his working quality too?He's a high food drive dog,and I have plans with him.

Neutering only affects behaviors fueled by the male hormone testosterone - the drives to fight, search out females in heat, mating - and not food drive.
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ellie@ny » April 30th, 2006, 7:55 pm

pLaurent wrote:
Is it gonna change his working quality too?He's a high food drive dog,and I have plans with him.

Neutering only affects behaviors fueled by the male hormone testosterone - the drives to fight, search out females in heat, mating - and not food drive.

Thanks! I was hoping to get answers like that! I've never neutered a male before,cause I always had females...I spayed my little Welsh terrier girl many-many years ago,she ain't changed nothing after....Same was the badass bitch.....That's why I gave her to my friend who was hunting with her,to keep her busy... Thanks again for the answers! :wink:
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health