I know some of you like Terrierman

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby babyreba » October 14th, 2009, 1:32 pm

Thought I'd see what you think of this recent post . . .

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2009/10/pit-bull-rights-verus-pit-bull.html

I'd love to know what pit bull "community" he's found that actually agrees on the points he's making . . . I've had a hell of a time finding a pit bull "community" that will even agree to disagree . . .
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby DemoDick » October 14th, 2009, 1:37 pm

babyreba wrote:Thought I'd see what you think of this recent post . . .

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2009/10/pit-bull-rights-verus-pit-bull.html

I'd love to know what pit bull "community" he's found that actually agrees on the points he's making . . . I've had a hell of a time finding a pit bull "community" that will even agree to disagree . . .

He's off his rocker. Too bad, as he is right on with his criticisms of breeding for aesthetics over ability. I think he's in love with his own notoriety and is going to continue to seek publicity however he can.

I posted a reponse to his blog a few months ago on this issue and (surprise!) it never saw the light of day.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby maberi » October 14th, 2009, 1:45 pm

DemoDick wrote:He's off his rocker. Too bad, as he is right on with his criticisms of breeding for aesthetics over ability. I think he's in love with his own notoriety and is going to continue to seek publicity however he can.

I posted a reponse to his blog a few months ago on this issue and (surprise!) it never saw the light of day.

Demo Dick

Couldn't agree more. He has some really good views on form vs function

In my honest opinion I think he has found a topic that sparks debate and brings people to his site who wouldn't normally read his crap.

I too posted a comment to one of this threads and he failed to post it
Last edited by maberi on October 14th, 2009, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby babyreba » October 14th, 2009, 1:46 pm

I do think he makes a bunch of valid points, but I'm just baffled by the notion of this pit bull "community" that thinks alike. It's just . . . bizarre.

I posted about this elsewhere, too, because I do think there's a lot of frightening rhetoric that comes from the mouths of some people who want to help the breed. Or thinks they are helping. Or something.

It'll be interesting to see how people respond to it.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » October 14th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Yep, what Demo and maberi said.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » October 14th, 2009, 1:50 pm

I throw up my arms in the air. How exasperating.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » October 14th, 2009, 2:40 pm

You have some interesting points in your post, but the overall tone is the same as every other piece of anti-Pit Bull propaganda. Half truths and hype make for interesting reading when you want to fuel the fire, but those of us who are the targets have weathered far worse and will continue to do so. I doubt you will allow this post to go up, but I'm going to write it anyway; and I'm going to post it on my forum - http://www.PitBullTalk.com - so that it will be public even if you choose to pretend it doesn't exist.

“On the one hand, these folks will tell you their dogs have been bred for hundreds of years to battle other dogs, catch wild pig and cattle, kill escaping slaves, and guard prisoners and farm stock.”

I know of no Pit Bull owner who knows anything about the true history of the breed who states that they were used to kill escaping slaves or guard prisoners. Before they were pit dogs, they were farm dogs, butcher dogs, catch dogs, all around “general purpose” dogs.

Eventually, as people decided that their purpose was to fight other dogs, they were bred with that goal in mind – to be an athlete that didn’t know the meaning of the word quit, no matter what the odds. However, pit dogs were not guard dogs, they were not man stoppers; they were not even reliable enough to keep strangers from stealing themselves... and dog fighters usually had an actual guard dog to protect their fighting dogs from being stolen.

“To hear breed-blind Pit Bull defenders tell the story, however, a Pit Bull is no more likely to savage the neighbor's dog or maim a small child than any other dog.”

And here you are wrong… and right. You have a much higher chance of a Pit Bull being dog aggressive than many other breeds. However, it is the responsibility of the OWNER to keep that dog aggression in check, so if another DOG gets maimed, that owner is responsible. But no, a Pit Bull is NOT more likely to maim a small child than any other breed, no matter how much the media wants you to believe that. The CDC is the source of the statistics used to support that claim, and the CDC states that their own statistics are flawed.

“Yes, any large breed can do horrible damage. But in fact, Pit Bulls are currently implicated in more serious bite cases in the U.S. than all other guarding and molosser breeds combined.”

You keep talking about inconvenient facts, but here is one that you are keep alluding to. Pit Bulls are actually NOT implicated in more bite cases in the US, the statistics (flawed as they are) group “pit bull type dogs” as one group, meaning any dog that resembles a pit bull or has pit bull characteristics or might be a mix of pit bull. That would be like lumping Jack Russell Terriers, Fox Terriers, Parson Russell Terrier, Airedale Terrier and every other Terrier that looks kind of the same in one big group. I’m guessing you’d have an issue with that.

“But let's be honest. A Pit Bull is not the same as a couch-potato greyhound, is it? We want the folks who adopt Pit Bulls to do so with their eyes wide open, don't we? A Pit Bull is not the right dog for every person.”

Yes, let’s be honest. A Pit Bull is not the right dog for every person, any more than a correctly bred Jack Russell is. I don’t know what the answer is, but those of us who own the breed responsibly don’t appreciate people like you who want to legislate our rights as responsible dog owners away.

Personally, I don’t particularly like Jack Russells. I know someone who breeds the real deal, and though I appreciate them for what they are, I wouldn’t take one if it was a gift. However, I don’t begrudge her – or you – the right to own them, as long as you own them responsibly. If you lived next door to me, I would expect my cats to be safe from your dogs, just as my neighbors dogs are safe from my Pit Bulls.

No matter what breed of dog someone owns, it is that person’s responsibility to handle their dog appropriately. Personally, I have no issue with mandatory spay and neuter laws – for ALL breeds. I have no issue with very strict breeding regulations – for ALL breeds. I have no issue with very strict laws regarding ALL sales of domestic animals, private and retail. I think breed registries should stop thinking of the bottom line and start thinking about the quality of the dogs on the papers.

But it’s easy for you to point fingers at the “bad” breed and pretend that there is nothing wrong with any other dogs out there, isn’t it?

I posted, I'm sure he won't put it up though.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby babyreba » October 14th, 2009, 4:20 pm

good response, michelle.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby maberi » October 14th, 2009, 4:52 pm

babyreba wrote:good response, michelle.

Very nice

I will be very surprised if he posts it
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 14th, 2009, 8:45 pm

You said what I was thinking.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » October 15th, 2009, 1:49 pm

:shock:

He put it up!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Pit Bull Talk