Um... Hi?

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby Megumi-Oni » October 14th, 2009, 9:33 am

Wow. It's amazing how similar this set up is to the other one I was using. It seems like this is a really... um... secure thing to get into. Like, I'm not allowed to post because I haven't received enough XP in the form of posts to attain a high enough level to really get anywhere. But, oh well.

I'm looking for an advocacy group that gets it. And I mean really gets it. I don't want a group that buys into the media hype, or tells me to leave my dog out of the parks, etc. I don't want a group that pretends to be an advocate for animal rights and awareness, then turns around and chats up how dangerous they are, etc. I'm looking for someone who can say:

"yes, you own a dog. Regardless of breed, they can be dangerous. With proper care, and DAILY TRAINING, you can help ensure your experience is a positive one. But, never forget the potential for disaster, and be aware of your animal at all times."

See, that's the attitude I think represents a healthy, respectful advocate for any breed of dog, more especially the "bully breeds." I'm having a hard time finding that online, which I think is weird.

Let's analyze the words. Regardless of breed means ANY dog who has been abused, neglected, trained to be aggressive, given steroids, etc. most likely will end up tearing someone's kid's face off. It's a sad truth. But we shouldn't hold the entire BREED responsible for the mistreatment of one animal. It's the HUMAN ELEMENT which is the problem. Dogs are, by nature, social pack animals capable of interacting peacefully with one another. It took the HUMAN ELEMENT to ruin that. Thanks, Mike Vick and anyone like you.

DAILY TRAINING means don't just get a dog on impulse and decide you want to keep it in a crate, maybe show it off to friends from time to time. No, to bring a dog into your family is to essentially adopt a kid with Down's or something like that. You really do have to work with the dog daily, rigorously, and responsibly. And you have to recognize that you aren't training the dog, you're training yourself how to handle the dog. That is key.

Being aware of your animal at all times isn't just assuming they're gonna kill someone and therefore carrying a stick or tazer or pepper spray because you're going to need it. That's just plain paranoid ignorance. Know your dog and be aware of its temperament. And, when in doubt, don't pull it out. Training helps with this awareness, so don't forget that critical step. If you know your dog will behave a certain way, make sure to consider that before placing your dog in situation where they may be uncomfortable, etc.

/rant. Sorry. I'll stop now. I'm just amazed at that other forum and some of the comments.

So, here I am on your forums trying to test you out now. Let's see how it all works out!
Megumi-Oni
Just Whelped

Postby maberi » October 14th, 2009, 9:39 am

Welcome to the forum

Do you have any dogs of your own?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Megumi-Oni » October 14th, 2009, 9:49 am

I do have one. She is a boxer mix, and everyone assumes she's a pit because of her large boxy head and dark brindle fur. She is the sweetest, most affectionate and well adjusted dog I've ever seen. And, we work with her daily on training... focus, attentiveness, and other drills to promote her paying attention to us, letting us lead, and teaching her to be submissive. We work with Bark Busters of Central CT, a very reputable training organization whose principles are sound and have yielded effective results in a very short amount of time.

We've had her in our family for almost 6 months now. She's around 2 years old, and was a rescue. We have done everything we can to make sure her transition to apartment living and social interaction was slow and steady, and we never push her into uncomfortable situations. We watch her and know when she's nervous, and we make sure to address her in those moments appropriately... for example, last night on our normal walk it began to rain. Rain makes her neurotic. She began to act out. So we made a bee-line straight back to the apartment rather than pushing her to walk more. Simple little things like that mixed with proper training are what help us keep her happy and social at places like our favorite dog park. She plays with the same group of dogs each time, and we are cautious about her interactions with newcomers.

In summary, I feel like we're doing all we can to have a well adjusted dog, and now we're trying to advocate for the bully breeds so we can stop the media sensations, the hype, the abuse, the ignorance, and Mike Vick. Etc.
Megumi-Oni
Just Whelped

Postby Megumi-Oni » October 14th, 2009, 10:03 am

maberi wrote:Welcome to the forum

Do you have any dogs of your own?

Actually, Maberi, she looks a lot like the one in your pic. Except more boxer I think.
Megumi-Oni
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » October 14th, 2009, 10:13 am

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenn » October 14th, 2009, 11:14 am

Hello and welcome :wave2:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » October 14th, 2009, 11:23 am

Hello there! That's quite the intro post... and I'd love to comment on a lot of it, but I can't break my own rules, so I'll just say "hi and welcome to the forum"

If you'd like to post most of that in the training section I'm quite sure you'll get some lively discussion going. :)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » October 14th, 2009, 11:28 am

Hi and welcome! :wave2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » October 14th, 2009, 11:33 am

Hello and Welcome. :wave2:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Megumi-Oni » October 14th, 2009, 11:40 am

mnp13 wrote:Hello there! That's quite the intro post... and I'd love to comment on a lot of it, but I can't break my own rules, so I'll just say "hi and welcome to the forum"

If you'd like to post most of that in the training section I'm quite sure you'll get some lively discussion going. :)

Heh, yeah. I'm pretty explosive sometimes. I instigate and start fires, and then watch the mayhem.

The core is there though. I really believe that the priority for having a successful and positive experience with any animal is proper training, and proper care. But, that's just me. Awareness encompasses so much when it comes to owning a dog, and even more when it comes to owning a bully breed. I hate that term too... bully breed. It's just feeding the hype.

Anyway. I'm looking forward to lively discussion. I'm eager to find out what people really think about these animals, and how they should be handled. Thanks for the welcome as well!
Megumi-Oni
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » October 14th, 2009, 12:31 pm

Megumi-Oni wrote:Heh, yeah. I'm pretty explosive sometimes. I instigate and start fires, and then watch the mayhem.

Starting fires is fine, but we have some rules here :wink: Fires have to be respectful - they can be heated but they have to remain adult; and you have to participate in your own fires. Most importantly, if you dish it out you better be willing to take it, because we have lots of members who dish right back.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » October 14th, 2009, 2:08 pm

Ditto to what Michelle said. Plus, we already have a world-champion instigator (Pit♥Bull), so you'll have to work pretty hard to live up to his rep! :lol3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » October 14th, 2009, 4:00 pm

Megumi-Oni wrote:So, here I am on your forums trying to test you out now. Let's see how it all works out!

Hi ya, and good luck with that. :wink:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Megumi-Oni » October 14th, 2009, 5:10 pm

Well, I'm not sure how I fit in to the instigator click because every time I instigate people get scared and ask me to leave...lol

No, I totally understand the whole dish and eat thing. And the whole like... adult thing. No biggie. However, I do try to use my words to paint a picture of... let's just say I don't like being attacked. I only ask that if someone takes issue with something I say, please message me privately rather than taking it to the streets. I tend to react better that way. :crazy2:

Ok, later!
Megumi-Oni
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » October 14th, 2009, 5:58 pm

Megumi-Oni wrote:. I only ask that if someone takes issue with something I say, please message me privately rather than taking it to the streets. I tend to react better that way.

Ahhh.... no....

What starts on the forum stays on the forum... we like it that way. Pick a fight in public and you finish a fight in public.

No one is "safe"... I own the place and I've been smacked around by members, moderators and admins. lol

We rarely moderate posts, when we do, we have very specific reasons and we state them.

Enough already :wink: Just go post, we don't have to discuss how to discuss....
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » October 14th, 2009, 6:28 pm

mnp13 wrote: we don't have to discuss how to discuss....

Well, what if we want to discuss how to discuss how to discuss? :|
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 14th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Welcome! And I enjoy discussing how to discuss how to discuss.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » October 14th, 2009, 10:37 pm

Marinepits wrote:Well, what if we want to discuss how to discuss how to discuss? :|

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Welcome! And I enjoy discussing how to discuss how to discuss.

And I enjoy :bitchSlap: my staff
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » October 14th, 2009, 10:40 pm

Hmmmm. It's been a while since we've smacked you around, huh? :devil:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » October 14th, 2009, 11:03 pm

Marinepits wrote:Hmmmm. It's been a while since we've smacked you around, huh? :devil:

And I *know* she likes it... :dance:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Next

Return to Introductions