Getting started

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby kera09 » October 13th, 2009, 12:14 am

Im interested in getting Lulu into agility, flyball or dock diving. Altho i dont even know where to start :| She has a very high prey drive for a tennis ball and with the ball in my hand will listen extremly well. Since ive never owned dogs before these 3 roughians, lol im not very good at training! I want my dogs to get more out of life than just love, walks and food! I want to start with Lulu bc i really think she can excel! Can anyone point me into the right direction? Thanks in advance :)
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby maberi » October 13th, 2009, 9:03 am

Check out the class schedules for DOTCORNY http://www.dotcorny.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=50

Michelle (mnp13) teaches classes there as well so I'm sure she could point you in the right direction if you have questions once you find a class
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » October 13th, 2009, 1:11 pm

Does Lulu have any obedience at all yet?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby kera09 » October 13th, 2009, 1:15 pm

no she doesnt, only what i have tried to do myself. She knows the basic come, sit and im still working on stay. im thinking obedience should be first. I need to be trained, it will be easy for her shes very smart.
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » October 13th, 2009, 1:28 pm

Start with some of the marker training stuff that Erin / TheRedQueen has posted, especially stuff on targeting. Get some of that stuff down - it's not especially difficult, it's really fun to do for both you and the dog. You'll use targets in agility and having that under your belt will make the classes easier for you, having attention work started will help you out as well.

Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby kera09 » October 13th, 2009, 1:37 pm

sounds good! thanks!
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby kera09 » October 13th, 2009, 4:36 pm

looks like im going to have to get lulu a rabies shot :(
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » October 13th, 2009, 5:35 pm

kera09 wrote:looks like im going to have to get lulu a rabies shot :(

yes, unless you have a waiver from your vet.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » October 13th, 2009, 5:37 pm

kera09 wrote:looks like im going to have to get lulu a rabies shot :(

Well, that's just a good thing to do anyway. At least here in Maryland, we're required by law to have rabies vax on our cats and dogs. :D

As for trying the different sports, since you're near DOTCORNY, I'd recommend trying basic/beginner classes in the different sports...and I'd go visit (without dog in hand) the classes/practices to see what they're like in person! I always encourage visitors in my classes, so people can see what it's like first hand!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TheRedQueen » October 13th, 2009, 8:26 pm

mnp13 wrote:
Erin is right though, you should definitely stop in and see if a class if you have a chance to - it's always good to make sure you like an instructor ahead of time.

Or to see if you like the sport. I have many, many people that come to try flyball and DO NOT WANT once they see what it's really like! lol :dance:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Marinepits » October 13th, 2009, 9:45 pm

In order to keep this thread on topic, the rabies discussion has been moved to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31184
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby kera09 » October 14th, 2009, 8:40 pm

i think i might just do that sometime!
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Sports