Genesee Valley Hunt Races

CT, DE, DC, IN, ME, MD, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT

Postby maberi » October 1st, 2009, 2:49 pm

If anyone is interested in going let me know. The event is on Saturday, Oct. 10th from 10-4:30

They have a bunch of horse races which should be cool to watch http://www.geneseevalleyhunt.org/Races.htm

They also have a ton of dog events including all breed lure coursing which I have really wanted to try with Kayden, and a something called Canine Grand Prix which is a dog jumping contest for height over jumps which I'm going to enter Kayden in. Should be fun

http://www.geneseevalleyhunt.org/Race%2 ... canine.htm
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Marinepits » October 1st, 2009, 3:19 pm

Sounds like fun! Too bad it's so far away.....

Have a great time and take lots of pics!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » October 10th, 2009, 7:11 pm

The actual horse races were very cool to watch (some dude fell off his horse on a jump and the horse kept running for the entire race).

I entered Kayden in the jumping contest but after watching the setup decided not to let him compete. After the dogs jumped off leash they ran to their handlers at the end where all the other handlers and dogs stood in a small space surrounded by fencing. It didn't help that a woman screamed for her dog not to go near Kayden because he was a pit bull and shortly after that Kayden jumped up on a young girl and she ran crying to her parents. :doh:

I helped the woman who was running the competition setup. Her first comment was that her dog was the winner for the past two year jumping over 4 ft :neener:

So pissy me took Kayden home and made him jump a 5 ft fence (yes I'm that competitive)
maberi

Postby mnp13 » October 10th, 2009, 10:01 pm

That sucks... you would have done well.

Next year Ruby and I will soooo take you two on. She's got some serious jumping skilz.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » October 12th, 2009, 9:12 am

That blows...(and yeah, I would have done the same thing with the fence...lol)

Sounds like a really bad set-up for ANY dog... :nono: handlers and dogs all fenced in at the end? :rolleyes2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby maberi » October 12th, 2009, 11:55 am

It wasn't all for nothing. I was able to see a terrier race for the first time (and was put to work as a catcher which was fun).

Earl also had the chance to lure course and LOVED it. I had to drag him off the field after his 2 runs. I decided not run Kayden because there were some kids playing with a soccer ball next to the course and horses racing a few hundred yards away
maberi

Postby Malli » October 12th, 2009, 12:54 pm

ot but is Kayden bad with kids or just overexuberant?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby maberi » October 12th, 2009, 8:30 pm

To be perfectly honest he has only been around 2 kids for about 5 minutes in the year I have had him. He is a bit too rough in general, so I wouldn't feel comfortable letting him play with kids
maberi

Postby Malli » October 13th, 2009, 3:21 am

ah gotcha, wait 'till he's a bit older he'll be great ;) Now that Oscar is *ahem* more distinguished in years he is much more appropriate with children; I used to sort of hug him in a sit so they could pet him and he wouldn't leap all over them :lol3:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to North East