Mr. Schultz has cancer :(

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Jodi » October 9th, 2009, 10:18 am

Hi,

yesterday I found out that my 14 year old doxie most likely has (detected through and ultrasound, not biopsy) prostate cancer. I feel so bad for him. The woman performing the ultrasound said she saw mineralization in his prostate, and that in all the years she has been doing ultrasound hasn't ever seen it NOT be cancer...

Anyway, Schultz has been having issues with peeing for a while now. He goes all the time. I imagine it's due to discomfort, but I don't know. He goes in the house, sometimes every half hour. Sometimes he strains when pooping. The good news is that it doesn't appear to have spread, and he is generally still happy and unaware!

Does anyone else have experience with this? I am interested in anything that can help him as he goes through this as far as diet, herbal/homeopathic remedies etc. If anyone has any good resources I would be grateful! Thanks so much...

Jodi
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » October 9th, 2009, 10:21 am

No experience with this...but big hugs to you and Mr. Schultz...:hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Pit♥bull » October 9th, 2009, 10:34 am

I'm so sorry to hear this :(

Sending lots of PBT :goodthoughts: from our family

:goodthoughts: :hug3:
:goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » October 9th, 2009, 11:10 am

Do a Google search on canine prostate cancer and you will get lots of resources. :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » October 9th, 2009, 12:28 pm

Awwwww, poor little man. :(

Sending prayers and good thoughts to him and your whole family!

Are you going to get a biopsy done for confirmation or do a consult with an oncologist? Maybe the oncologist can offer you some ideas on diets and alternatives treatments. Our oncologist did when Indy had cancer.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » October 9th, 2009, 12:40 pm

you might want to see if there are any meds that make it easier to pee

I'm very sorry :(
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Jenn » October 9th, 2009, 2:40 pm

Awww I'm so sorry
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby HappyChick » October 9th, 2009, 3:24 pm

I'm so sorry about Mr. Schultz. Our experience is with Lymphoma, not prostate cancer.

I'm very new to this whole k9 cancer business. Google became my dear friend while I was researching what to do for Vinny. A great point that was made to me in the beginning is that each kind of cancer is different and each dog's circumstances are different. My advice is to consult your vet/oncologist about any and all changes you want to make to Mr. Schultz's diet and supplements as there may be other factors involved such as age of the dog, the health of his other systems, etc.

We are sending good thoughts and positive vibes your way. :goodthoughts:
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 9th, 2009, 6:17 pm

No advice, but lots of good thoughts! :hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby hugapitbull » October 9th, 2009, 8:00 pm

I truly hate the cancer diagnosis. I'm sorry you and Mr Schultz are facing this.

Lots and lots of good thoughts from us.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Jodi » October 9th, 2009, 8:04 pm

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone :) I really appreciate it!

Not sure if we will do a biopsy yet...just waiting to hear back from my vet to see what course of action we will take. Schultz is old and has other issues too (liver disease, eye problems...) so we may just focus on making his remaining time with us as comfortable and happy as possible, and forgo any invasive surgeries and such. Unless for some reason it would be very beneficial to do so-I'm not really sure!

So far (according to the ultrasound) it hasn't spread...but from what I have read via google about prostate cancer is that it is aggressive. One thing I read said the average dog lives 4-6 weeks after detection. That is so hard to imagine-mostly because he is acting as normal as he usually does. Perhaps he won't be the 'average' dog and has many days/years left! :dance: I will remain hopefull and love him up in the meantime... :hug3:
Jodi
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » October 10th, 2009, 9:35 am

Awww....Mr. Schultz is fortunate to have such a nice, loving Mom. You will do what is best for him, so take a deep breath every time you have to make a decision and remember that NOT making a decision is also okay. :hug3:

PS...Cancer sucks. :rolleyes2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » October 10th, 2009, 7:56 pm

Cancer sucks. I understand not wanting to do anything too invasive because I know for me I'd rather have their time here good, rather than have something wrong and have them be suffering.

Whatever you can do, whatever you decide to do you have a whole forum of support. I'm sorry you have to go through this with Mr. Shultz, just value the time you do have with him and appreciate the moments you can spend together.

:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Patch O' Pits » October 11th, 2009, 8:51 am

Hugs and prayers! I wish I could offer more help than that....

Cancer sucks and we are here for you both!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Canine Cancer