New Home Fear....

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Kangas Mommy » January 23rd, 2006, 12:17 am

OK so this week i moved into my FIRST HOUSE! The dogs were staying at different places while we moved. Tonight i brought Kanga home. She is all freaked out. I tried to calm her down but shes pacing and panting. I gave her a chewy and put her in her kennel she was OK for a bit. Then she was barking like she needed to go out and i took her out. Then she was barking out there to come in. There are a lot of steps here also which she is not used to. She looks at them and barks. She will go up and down if i go with her. Also new rules at the new house no bed or sofa for her :( and i think shes all confused....What can i try? Will see get better?
Kangas Mommy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 23rd, 2006, 12:38 am

Why are there new rules at the new house?

Just let her settle in. there are new smells, new rooms, new furniture, new EVERYTHING. and she was living with other people in the interim.

Her world has turned upside down. and it's probably really freaking her out.

Let her wander and figure things out.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby satanscheerleader » January 23rd, 2006, 12:40 am

My dogs always act like big brats for the first month in a new place. Don't worry. She'll settle in. I guess the best thing to do is stick to your old routine as much as possible and try not to comfort and coddle them. It will more likely make them more insecure. Treat her just like she was in her old place. If she was barking there for whatever reason, how would you handle it? Handle it the same there. With so many new things going on, it's important you are the same. Consistent with how you were at the old place, even with the new rules.
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby Kangas Mommy » January 23rd, 2006, 12:53 am

The new rules are because this is OUR home and my boyfriend is going to flip if i just let the dogs do whatever. If it was me alone id have no new rules..lol dont tell him that. I mean everything else is pretty much the same. We will see how they do this week....Thanks!
Kangas Mommy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 23rd, 2006, 1:13 am

I was just speaking up for the dog...

where else would Ruby sleep BUT the bed? With her head on the pillow... under the comforter...

:D

(I'm just picking on you... :wink: )
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » January 23rd, 2006, 1:20 am

No...Dogs...On...The... Bed??? :eekHair: How will you sleep?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby CinderDee » January 23rd, 2006, 6:48 am

I seriously could not sleep without a dog in my bed. It's bad enough I only have one! :boohoo:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Murfins » January 23rd, 2006, 9:24 am

No snuggles during sleep! I love sleeping with my boos and can only sleep well when at least one of them is plastered to me.
Murfins
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Kangas Mommy » January 23rd, 2006, 10:20 am

HEHE i know i hate it. But my SO puts up with a lot believe me. He goes to work at 6am so who do you think slept with me after that? :twisted: SHHHH hehehe. She seems better already this morning. Tonight the other two dogs come home. I am hoping all will work out.....
Kangas Mommy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Romanwild » January 23rd, 2006, 10:42 am

They just need time. Don't coddle them when they are freaking. Ignore them.

I don't think I've had a good nights sleep since getting a second dog. Still wouldn't have it any other way. :wink:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » January 23rd, 2006, 11:56 am

Congrats on your first home!! When I moved into my new house my dog freaked out for a while and then about a week later settled in.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Jesseca » January 23rd, 2006, 2:38 pm

Yeah, when we moved into our house, the dogs freaked out. It just took them a while, but then they were ok. Especially as you start to unpack and they start to see all the familar things.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby pblove » January 23rd, 2006, 3:10 pm

This is how I did things when I had to move to this place.
I had a couple weeks to move in though, so I took advantage of it.
I ran out and bought an outdoor kennel and brought that here first, along with some of their beds, bedding blankets, food and water bowls.
The first time we came, we got out of the truck, and I leash walked them all over the property boundaries. Made sure thy did their pottying before we came into the house in case they decided to try and mark.
I then took them to their kennel and went in it with them on leash, gave them lots of cookies while we were in there.
After they settled down a bit, brought them into the house, it was brand new so no other dogs had lived or been in here befoe so no "other dog" smells at least.
They immedialtey ran to their beds and looked at me as if s to say, "how in the hell did our beds get here". We then proceded to go in and out both the front door and the back door until they settled down agian, then let them run dragging their leasehs in the house till they decided to take a nap from all the excitement. I alsofed them their dinner here everynight till we moved in ,so this was like another home for them .
I did this for the entire 2 weeks, every day, as I moved in our stuff little by little. We slept here for the first time on a Fri night, by then all our stuff was here and the dogs knew the place basically. On Sat got up, fed them and took more leash walks, then into their kennel they went while I left them for short amounts of time, (went in the house and peeked out the window at them)
On Sat afternoon, left them in the house for about 5 minutes, then came right back, Sat eve, left them in house, but drove the truck off the property for 5 minutes, then came back and had a silly party. On Sunday, left them several times, drove the truck away for longer increments. Took off work on Mon, stayed out for an hour in am, then 2 hours in p.m.
ON Tues had to go to work, but came home for lunch to check on them and take them for potty break, after that all was well.
(untill it was time to move the cats in)
I hope you can get some help out of story here. :P
pblove
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » January 23rd, 2006, 5:29 pm

My dogs have never had a problem settling in ( well not too sure about Justice, this is the only home she has lived in). As long as they can find me, the bed & their food bowl they are happy to go wherever I take them. Justice has stayed in motel rooms & at other people's homes & been fine with it.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby CinderDee » January 23rd, 2006, 5:33 pm

Kato too. He makes himself at home anywhere. :D
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Kangas Mommy » January 23rd, 2006, 10:40 pm

Thank you for the help. This was Kangas first move so i think thats why shes taking it hard. I pick up Jetta tonight and she has been through 3 moves with me so i think she will do fine. I am a bit nervous since shes missing a hind leg and the floors and steps are hard wood. I hope she can handle it. Buhbee came tonight. Hes excited sniffing everything. Next week its the cats! lol oh lord help me! hehehe

Sonya
Kangas Mommy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 24th, 2006, 12:54 pm

Kangas Mommy wrote: Also new rules at the new house no bed or sofa for her

Ruby thinks your boyfirend is nuts.

(yes, that is my pillow... my buckwheat hull pillow)
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Darlazmum » January 24th, 2006, 4:58 pm

Ah, Sonya, I couldn't sleep without Darla, and neither can my hubby :cry: How sad for you.....Kanga will get settled in, be sure to keep an eye, dogs tend to run away as well after moving. Miguel and I actually fight over who gets her, because he goes into sleep at 9pm and I'm still out here watching Tv and I want her with me :rolleyes2:
Darlazmum
Just Whelped

Postby Emi » January 24th, 2006, 7:07 pm

I hope they get settled in fast .. :beerChug:

When Dottie came to live with us , I said she couldn't go on the futon ... ah hmm's that lasted a week ... :martini:

Said she would sleep in the kitchen with a baby gate, that didn't even last a night ... she got her kennel the next morning ... her baby gate is used at Scott's house so she can't get under the gate ... :wink3: she lasted in her kennel until like oh 7-8 months ago , and she's been a bed partner ever since ... :shrug:

So good luck and have a great time in your new place ...

:groupjump:
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby Kangas Mommy » January 24th, 2006, 10:20 pm

HAHAHA you will never believe who was in bed with us last night? Kanga and Jetta! AHHH home sweet home! :twisted:
Kangas Mommy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Pit Bull Talk