Dog Aggression question

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Malli » October 4th, 2009, 3:03 am

I'll start, though I'm sure people will have more to add...

Choose your dog's playmates carefully(NEVER go to offleash dog parks), and avoid putting him in situations with dogs that are "rude" in their behavior towards him (if the dog comes across to you as being pushy, obnoxious, snarky or short tempered, or has an "in your face" attitude, take your dog away from that situation).

Make sure that you use a "Nothing In Life Is Free" type approach and that your dog is well trained. Training helps teach a dog to work with you and will help show a dog that you are able to handle life situations.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby cecollins » October 4th, 2009, 11:59 am

Malli wrote:I'll start, though I'm sure people will have more to add...

Choose your dog's playmates carefully(NEVER go to offleash dog parks), and avoid putting him in situations with dogs that are "rude" in their behavior towards him (if the dog comes across to you as being pushy, obnoxious, snarky or short tempered, or has an "in your face" attitude, take your dog away from that situation).

Make sure that you use a "Nothing In Life Is Free" type approach and that your dog is well trained. Training helps teach a dog to work with you and will help show a dog that you are able to handle life situations.

:goodStuff:
Sully's momma!

Miss you, Mick
cecollins
I Love Sully's Butt Curls

Postby mnp13 » October 4th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Marykins wrote:One of the posts that I read said that if you have a pitbull you will have to deal with dog aggression at some point in their life.

I'm not sure where you read this, but I'm sure that they meant to say "may" and not "will". :)

Marykins wrote:I wanted to know if this applies mainly to the male dogs?

No, though in my opinion the likelihood of dog aggression increases if the dog is intact - but that is with male or female dogs.

Marykins wrote:Is there anything we (as owners) can do to be ahead of the game?

Absolutely! As Malli said, keeping your dog out of potentially harmful situations is the best thing you can do. There are a number of threads about dog parks on the forum; one of the "best" ways to bring out dog aggression in your dog is to have it get "blind sided," and with many dogs - especially of our breed - once that happens there is no going back.

My dog Ruby was attacked at a dog show by a Leomberger - a ginormous furry herding dog - and it was a loooong time before any large furry dog was not immediately met with growling and hackles, which is very bad from a therapy dog!

Lots of obedience is a great way to combat dog aggression. You won't get rid of the behavior, but you'll be able to keep it under control.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » October 4th, 2009, 11:43 pm

On my way to bed, but I'll throw this out now, and will be more than willing to post a detailed post later...

What about certain dogs that "jump on' dogs that show overt fear?

We had a not so good experience with dar at Puppy Camp this weekend, :( and It seems he did the same thing to a dog THERE that he does with Macy----see a cowering, fearful dog and then RUN AND JUMP ON IT.

Luckily the trainer was able to 'get dar off' before any damage was done, but she did so 'by throwing herself over him"....and holding Dar down while her Husband came out and grabbed the Wiemenahamerage-dog>...(sorry. too tired to look up spelling))...

so.

Our great place for Dar to go has 'gone bye bye', which, by the way, I was really worried about once she told me on Wed. that she didn't worry about Dar, and just let him out and play with the other dogs.
I told her then that i had real concerns with that, because even if Dar had never shown ANY DA at her place, all it would take would be ONE time of a snarky dog jumping on him, and there'd be a tragedy.
Well, unfortunately
, there was a problem but not from a snarky dog.
But a scared Dog.

When he first got there, Dar was being pushed around by this HUGE St. Benard, so I'm wondering if that could have worked him up???
Or.............did he just sense weakness in the W. and 'go for it'.

I'll check back tomorrow...........I've had a rough few days with the victims' vigil, the interview and tonight we heard the first 50 pages of the play ------------sigh.
so.
I'm a little sensitive right now....

My dog is a bully. :(
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Malli » October 5th, 2009, 1:32 am

meh, my dog is a bully azzhole too...

It sounds like Dar is like Oscar, middle of the road male, kind of insecure in his place in the dog world and testing his limits :|

Oscar's issues are worse because he had a substantial lack of socialization from about 6 weeks on until he'd finished his puppy vaccines.

Don't worry about it, you'll find dogs that he can be with, and most he won't, but really, he'll be fine without ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 5th, 2009, 7:50 am

Most of us have bullies, Jody. :wink: And lots of dogs are drawn to frightened dogs in a negative way.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ArtGypsy » October 5th, 2009, 8:22 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Most of us have bullies, Jody. :wink: And lots of dogs are drawn to frightened dogs in a negative way.

:rolleyes2: :rolleyes2:
thanks, Liz. I just looked at him last night and said "you are NO hero. (his name)
You are a bully on the playground. HMMfff.

sigh.

I'm just sorry that I've lost his place for him to go stay for a aday or two when we have to be out of town.
But like I said, I had major concerns when I realized Wed. she goes in the house and leaves him in the yard with a mix-mash of dogs. Like I told her THEN;; This could be a problem------ :crazy2:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby mnp13 » October 5th, 2009, 9:01 am

ArtGypsy wrote:I was really worried about once she told me on Wed. that she didn't worry about Dar, and just let him out and play with the other dogs.

And you had every right to be, and I think it's fine that that place no longer wants him there - they aren't responsible enough to have him anyway if they think that is "fine" to do.

ArtGypsy wrote:I told her then that i had real concerns with that, because even if Dar had never shown ANY DA at her place, all it would take would be ONE time of a snarky dog jumping on him, and there'd be a tragedy.

Exactly.

ArtGypsy wrote:My dog is a bully

so :| Most dogs are, it's part of being a dog.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Pit Bull Talk