Hogan needs vibes!

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby plebayo » September 13th, 2009, 8:08 pm

I've mentioned Hogan here and elsewhere a time or two. Hogan is an 8 year old Australian Shepherd who was in remission from Lymphoma for 4 years. [Since 2005.] This year has been a struggle keeping him in remission, the cancer popped up again June-ish and he's been treated with CCNU [http://www.chemocare.com/bio/ccnu.asp] He went back into remission until last Sunday. He got some diarrhea and his mom was giving him a neck massage and could feel his lymph nodes swollen in that area. It was confirmed at the emergency vet that he was out of remission. This all of course happened right before they were going out of town. I was scheduled to dog-sit for them way prior to this, and so they decided to continue with their trip plans. Hogan had a dose of vincristine on Tuesday. His parents left Wednesday. He's been staying with me all week, coming in every day to work with me to have his lymph nodes checked. The swelling didn't go down like the doctor would have liked so he was put back on Prednisone. Still no change Thursday so we ordered Asparaginase and gave the whole 10,000 IU bottle. I think his lymph nodes are smaller, but they are still swollen. You can feel them in his neck, his chest, and his back legs. He has had a cough every once in a while as well which has me worried. I am taking him to the clinic tomorrow to have him evaluated. His appetite is still good and he hasn't crashed from the chemo, I guess he usually does when his white blood cell count gets to where it is at now. This dog is a one in a million Australian Shepherd. He loves everyone, he has a loving personality, not aloof at all. He's adorable, a total stooge. He is the dog I always tell people about when they ask about whether or not they should do Chemo because when he was diagnosed he was given 9 months to live, and here it's been 4 years later and he's still kicking.

If anyone could throw some extra vibes his way that would be great, he's a really good boy!

Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 13th, 2009, 8:22 pm

:goodthoughts:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby LMM » September 13th, 2009, 8:31 pm

Lots of good vibes for Hogan!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby kera09 » September 13th, 2009, 9:19 pm

good thoughts to hogan.....hang in there buddy!!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » September 13th, 2009, 10:21 pm

Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers to Handsome Hogan!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » September 13th, 2009, 10:57 pm

Lots of positive Aussie thoughts headed his way...butt wiggles headed his way too...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby CinderDee » September 14th, 2009, 3:20 am

My dog is going through the very same thing except he almost died from the CCNU.

I'm sending Hogan lots of remission vibes & hugs!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » September 14th, 2009, 6:32 am

Kisses to Hogan and a big hug to you for being so kind.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Hundilein » September 14th, 2009, 8:49 am

Good thoughts on their way from down South. Hugs for you and Hogan's family too.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby HappyChick » September 14th, 2009, 9:16 am

Good thoughts and positive vibes headed Hogan's way from us. Hogan's story was one of the things that gave me hope when Vinny was diagnosed.

:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby madremissy » September 14th, 2009, 9:50 am

Good thoughts coming for Hogan.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Jenn » September 14th, 2009, 12:15 pm

:goodthoughts:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby TinaMartin » September 14th, 2009, 12:52 pm

Good thoughts and puppy slobbers headed your way!
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby plebayo » September 14th, 2009, 1:19 pm

Thanks SO much for all of the good thoughts! His owners picked him up early and he's at the clinic right now, I hope there's some kind of good news for him. His parents appreciate the kind words, you guys truly are the best!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby plebayo » September 30th, 2009, 10:17 am

I just thought I would say your vibes worked!!!!!!!!!

They put him back on the CCNU and he went back into remission! His lymph nodes went down, he's off the pred and feeling tons better, especially since he can be back on his metacam for his hips.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Marinepits » September 30th, 2009, 10:20 am

Yea!!! :woowoo:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 30th, 2009, 10:44 am

:rock:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Pit♥bull » September 30th, 2009, 10:49 am

No one should ever doubt the power of PBT :goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » September 30th, 2009, 11:34 am

:D
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby plebayo » October 15th, 2009, 10:19 pm

It sucks to say this but, Hogan lost his fight today.

About a week ago Hogan's lymph nodes became enlarged again and he came out of remission. He didn't respond to doxorubricin or asparaginase, he quit responding to the CCNU. He was getting more painful in his hips and was also having some issues breathing with the nodes being swollen in his chest. He stayed all day at the clinic yesterday while his parents went to some doctor appointments. We all took our pictures with him and got to more or less say our goodbyes. They did a housecall euthanasia, when they brought him into the clinic I started bawling, I think EVERYONE was crying, no lie.

So I just wanted to say a few things.

Although Hogan's body finally gave in, he lived for 4 years after his diagnoses. He was initially given 9mos to live if they didn't treat him, or if treatment did not work. 4 years, even if it isn't the "norm" is at least worth trying. In those four years he really lived.

The loss of a pet is absolutely horrible, and you do feel very alone. But for those of you who have dogs going through cancer, know that the people taking care of your dog can become just as attached. We see them all the time, we handle them, we grow to love them. Not that we don't love all of the patients we care for, but you can't help but form a personal bond with a dog you see and touch regularly. Today was a totally grim day at work for all of us because Hogan was like one of our own.

RIP Hogan
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Next

Return to Canine Cancer