deaf dog

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby vetjul » September 27th, 2009, 3:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a 4 year old pitty girl I rescued when she was 10 months old. She is very good but can be a tiny bit leash aggressive mostly barking at the other dogs. She does enjoy the dog park and daycare where she can run off leash. Recently we are considering adopting a deaf pitty. I am familiar with working with dogs and know many hand signals already. y girl is a therapy dog and I thought it was good to be able to communicate with her using more then verbal cues. Today we had our first dog to dog meeting with the deaf pit and we introduced them by allowing them to receive treats but they were both in two different rooms that are divided by a gate. This way we could avoid physical altercations. WE brought them close to the fence and reinforced with treats. My girl did really well even though she can be put off by some dogs. The deaf dog tried to gate fight twice but one time walked over to like my dogs face through the fence. We did this for about an hour 1/2 removing the other dog for 5 minutes when ever she tried to gate fight. The foster mom (owns a doggie daycare) says the deaf dog is defensive around other dogs but not all. I realize being deaf she may be more defensive perhaps out of fear but is this something that will subside. I guess I'm concerned about having a dog that will (lack of a better word) attack when ever it sees another dog. I know my girl can be a bit crazier on leash but we have worked around it but is the other dogs lashing out more from just being possible a more aggressive dog OR more because she is deaf. Deaf dog is 1 year and the foster has had her for 1 year.. she is not socialized within the doggie daycare but does interact with one or two of staff dogs. She understand signs and does great with people but is it common for deaf dogs to be this way with other dogs? Just trying to see what I'm up-against and if it i the right fit for our family. thanks
vetjul
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » September 27th, 2009, 5:01 pm

This area is for introductions only and doesn't get as much traffic as the rest of the board. Please re-post your questions in the Training & Behaviour area here: viewforum.php?f=19

You'll be more likely to get responses! :thumbsup:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » September 27th, 2009, 5:15 pm

What?

Okay...I just HAD to say it... :neener:

Welcome to the forum! :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » September 27th, 2009, 5:53 pm

:shock: Joyce! :lol3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » September 27th, 2009, 7:10 pm

Hello and Welcome :wave2:

and Joyce :bitchSlap: :wink:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 27th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Welcome! :wave:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby kera09 » September 27th, 2009, 9:43 pm

welcome, pics plzzzzzz :wave2:
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Dog_Shrink » September 28th, 2009, 1:49 am

Since I didn't see this in training yet CanI Just respond here?

**edited by Michelle: no you can't - as was clearly indicated by Jen earlier. Your post has been PM'd to you. You may re-post in the appropriate section when the time comes.

Oh and welcome to the forum :D
Dog_Shrink
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » September 28th, 2009, 7:20 am

Dog Shrink, I clearly stated that this area is for introductions only. Keep it that way.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » September 28th, 2009, 9:18 am

Welcome to the forum
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Return to Introductions