My first pit bull KING

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby sistery » September 19th, 2009, 10:33 am

My fiance Brandon and I met King several months ago, we had been talking about getting a dog, but our roommate wouldn't allow any pets. Brandon went outside to take out the trash and returned with King, smiling saying "babe, I got you a dog!" King was dirty, about 70 lbs, and bleeding from small cuts on his face, neck, and front leg. Brandon and his best friend used to breed pits for years, but I didn't really know anything about them. I was terrified of King. He found King wandering down the road with no tags. We didn't know what to do with him: I wouldn't let him inside, my roommate wouldn't let us have a dog, so we called Animal Control. They said they would investigate if he was being fought before returning him to his owners. But it took over 9 hours for Animal Control to show up, we cleaned off his wounds and ended up falling in love with him (I let him inside finally). He was the biggest mush-head in the world. Animal Control showed up and we were heartbroken, we thought he would be put to sleep for sure.

2 weeks later King showed up on our doorstep again. We found out he belonged to an old lady 5 houses down. We reluctantly returned him to her. Over the next few weeks we would catch King several more times. When the old lady wasn't home we would have to call Animal Control to pick him up since our roommate (the homeowner) wouldn't let us keep him. Animal Control said if he kept getting picked up, they would not return him to the owners. Nor do they adopt out pitbulls, so King would be put to sleep.

We just moved to a new apartment that is dog friendly with no breed restrictions. We went to the old lady's house to ask her if she would sell us King yesterday. We expected her to tell her we were crazy for asking for her dog, but without hesitation she said "you want King? take him!". In the backyard we saw he was chained to a 6 foot chain. His neck was cut from where his chain collar cut into his skin. She said he was not allowed in the house ever. He was left outside and forgotten about.

So now we have a dog.

He spent the night, and curled up on some blankets on the floor, slept peacefully through the night. He loves all the toys we bought him, and is curious and playing like a puppy. Turns out he is housebroken. We took him to Petsmart to get a proper leash and collar, and he ignored all the other dogs. It's just unreal how well behaved this dog is around strangers and other dogs, despite never getting walks, or attention from his previous owner. We gave him a bath, and he was relaxed and calm. We've wanted King for months, and we finally got him :D

sistery
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » September 19th, 2009, 12:04 pm

What a great story! :D King is sooooo handsome! Welcome to PBT! :wave2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby HappyChick » September 19th, 2009, 12:21 pm

Congratulations to you, Brandon, and King! I'm so glad you were able to save him from that life! He is very handsome. :heartbeat:
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby madremissy » September 19th, 2009, 12:28 pm

Hello and Welcome to PBT. King is beautiful.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Marinepits » September 19th, 2009, 4:27 pm

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby kera09 » September 19th, 2009, 6:24 pm

what a lucky boy king is to have found a wonderful home!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » September 19th, 2009, 8:30 pm

:wave2: Welcome he's very handsome!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » September 19th, 2009, 9:45 pm

OMG!!! I can't believe how well this story turned out! King is absolutely adorable!

Welcome. :wave2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 20th, 2009, 6:23 pm

Thanks for stepping up and saving him from that life! He's crazy handsome!

Welcome! :wave:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Patch O' Pits » September 24th, 2009, 7:49 pm

Cute picts! Welcome to the forum! :wave2:
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby sistery » September 24th, 2009, 9:41 pm

King had been itching a lot, we noticed that his hair was thinning in patches so we took him to the vet this morning... I was worried he had mange...

The good news is it wasn't mange... the bad news:

He has fungus all over his chin, chest, and inside his ears, and has staph infection... Where the chain collar cut into his neck was infected, the nickel irritated his skin. The vet said his coat had problems indicating that he had been surviving off of garbage.

He is 65 lbs, and apparently 3 years old I learned.

I'm so angry at what the neighbors did to him... It's their fault he is covered in infected scabs and fungus. They have a nice house, obviously they could have afforded to buy him DOG FOOD not let him survive off of TRASH. The vet said he was obviously in pain and very uncomfortable.

We shampooed him with medicated shampoo, and have a spray to put on the affected areas, two kinds of pills to give him, and fish oil to improve his coat.

Everyday I am so happy to have King in our family. He loves car rides, eating his DOG FOOD, sleeping on his poofy dog bed, and going for walks.
sistery
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » September 24th, 2009, 9:47 pm

Ooooh! Poor little dude. :(

Sounds like you'll have him back in shape in no time!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Ino » September 24th, 2009, 10:18 pm

What a beautiful story....he is adorable!! Congrats to you and your new found pal!! :)
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 25th, 2009, 12:02 am

Welcome to the board! King is very cute, I love the socks!

sistery wrote:We shampooed him with medicated shampoo, and have a spray to put on the affected areas, two kinds of pills to give him, and fish oil to improve his coat.

Everyday I am so happy to have King in our family. He loves car rides, eating his DOG FOOD, sleeping on his poofy dog bed, and going for walks.

Check this thread to fix his coat in two weeks:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26121
it is a magic cure for bad coats. Connor looked moth eaten at the beginning of August, and had a full coat in less than three weeks!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby sistery » September 25th, 2009, 12:19 pm

Thanks for the thread about the coat! This is exactly why I joined the group, this is the first time I've owned a dog... So inheriting all these issues with King feels overwhelming. I want to be sure I do the best I can for him and make him feel/look his best.

Now that we're getting the health issues in check, it should be fun tackling the behavioral ones next... I'll be investing in an Easy Walk harness before my arm gets ripped off. Aside from leash manners, he has some peculiar habits... He won't eat his dog food from the bowl, he spills it everywhere, then carries it somewhere else and eats it away from the bowl. The other day I walked into the kitchen and he was SITTING in a chair at the kitchen table eating his kibble off the kitchen table. Naughty, but smart dog.

I just wanted to post more pictures of my new son because I'm so proud of him :)

These are photos of him when we first found him...

sistery
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » September 25th, 2009, 1:08 pm

sistery wrote: The other day I walked into the kitchen and he was SITTING in a chair at the kitchen table eating his kibble off the kitchen table. Naughty, but smart dog.

:lol3: That's hilarious!

Hey, go ahead and start a new thread somewhere in the rest of the forum. The introduction area doesn't always get a lot of traffic, so you'll get more responses elsewhere. :wink:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby auymismomma » October 1st, 2009, 9:38 am

He's so handsome!
auymismomma
Just Whelped

Postby Pitbull-lvr-619 » October 7th, 2009, 2:55 am

that's a very handsome looking boy you two got...glad to know he is with loving owners
Listen to music and enjoy Life...oh yeah Chargers Rule!!!!
Pitbull-lvr-619
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Introductions