dinner discussion

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby kera09 » September 22nd, 2009, 10:21 pm

Tonight my parents and I went out to dinner. I was telling them how Eric and i have been talking about marriage and kids alot lately! My mom immediately follows with you cant have a baby with those dogs. WTF :shock: They both preceed to say how pit bulls are unstable and that i have no clue what they are capable of WTF again?!?! She also said that if i left the baby in the room with the dogs i would come back to a huge problem ex from her...MISSING TOES!!! Right then and there i had to tell them i couldnt discuss this right now.

Have i taught them nothing over the past 3 yrs about this wonderful loving breed of dogs???? That they were once considered the "nanny" dog. I know my dogs and i understand when i have children it will be a learning experience for eric, myself and our 3 pittys. Neither one of my parents are animal lovers, which is fine but how dare they underestimate my dogs!!!!! ugh has anyone else had to deal with this from family?

I HAD TO TELL HER MOM I WILL NEVER EVER EVER GET RID OF MY DOGS!!!!!! ANIMALS ARE NOT DISPOSABLE!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby HappyChick » September 22nd, 2009, 10:58 pm

kera09 wrote: I HAD TO TELL HER MOM I WILL NEVER EVER EVER GET RID OF MY DOGS!!!!!! ANIMALS ARE NOT DISPOSABLE!

I've said the same to my mother.

YES! I've dealt and still do with this family prejudice. It really sucks when it's your own family. There are a few members of my family who won't hardly come to my house because of Vincenzo. The funny thing is my mom (who was the most vocal with her feelings about pitbulls) is starting to change because of Vinny's cancer. Her husband passed in Feb. from cancer and I think she sort of feels a connection because of the cancer although she thinks pitbulls are the Anti-Christ in canine form! I've always talked to her about the myths and truths about the breeds, but nothing worked until Vin got sick.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that from your parents. I wish I had some good advice, but all I can really say is ~ as long as you know the truth then stay confident and stand your ground. You and your dogs are the only ones who have a chance of changing their minds. They love you and don't want you to have any heartache, but they must be like my family and aren't open to getting to know your dogs. It's tough to beat the news media. Especially when they inspire fear because many people tend to live their lives fear-based yet they don't even realize it. It's so negative to their wellbeing.

One thing I'll give my mom credit for on this subject is that she would talk to me about it. I can't stand when family goes to other family to get the "word" around about how they really feel.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby juniper8204 » September 23rd, 2009, 6:55 am

I had to deal with this from my dad when my daughter was born. At that time, the only dog I had was a Great Dane...he wasn't too fond of the Dane, but you would have thought the world was coming to an end when I decided to adopt Mindy Lou from the pound!

He outright told me I was a bad parent for keeping my daughter in the same house as a potential killer. :rolleyes2: Watch out! She may smother you with her tongue or whip you to death with her tail!

As you, I've tried explaining the myths and debunking them, I've tried face-to-face raw PROOF...I've sent pictures, I've done about everything I can think of, but still nothing. He hasn't said anything lately, but he does let me know whenever there is another headline on the news about a "pit bull" mauling...quotations there because in this area it may say "pit bull" but in reality it's usually a mix or a completely different breed. Maybe he's started to shut up about it because he's seen that nothing is going to happen...it's been nearly four YEARS, and I now have four pit bulls in my home and besides some DA with only one of my dogs, I have a harmonious home.

My dad frustrates the hell outta me though, bless his puny head. He approached my husband and my religion with the same crap (prejudiced). My husband is from Puerto Rico, and my dad has always been against interracial dating/marriages...then he got to know him and it's a different story. And from the same man that swears a pit bull's jaws lock, came "the only thing I've heard about your religion is that you dance naked in the woods and have big orgies." :doh: I'm Wiccan BTW. You'd think after being proven wrong so many times he'd finally see the light, but no such luck. Sometimes you just have to let it go in one ear and out the other and realize you're an adult and can make decisions on your own (i.e. marriage & kids).

LOL my rant is over...and in case he ever reads this...I love you Daddy despite your flaws! :D
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Natalie » September 23rd, 2009, 3:42 pm

Yup, got that when I told the MIL we were looking for another dog: "But you have to start thinking about your future family!" Yup, and my future family will be packed full of dogs. Get over it, lady.

Try not to get so upset about it and just go about your life. This is between you and Eric, everyone else can butt out. If they insist on being offensive to you, threaten to cut them out of the picture. Sometimes it takes that much to make them see how serious you are.

Congratulations, by the way! Sounds like a wedding is in the future!!!
Natalie
Just Whelped

Postby kera09 » September 23rd, 2009, 8:50 pm

i hope a wedding will be coming soon! lol! it just sucks that my family cant be in love with the breed like we are!!!!! natalie....did you guys adopt that dog??
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » September 24th, 2009, 3:04 am

I think when people aren't animal lovers it makes it more difficult, there is less of a concept of what a dog truly is. There is nothing you can do but ignore it, and if they push (as you did) tell them its not up for discussion.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Natalie » September 24th, 2009, 11:19 am

Darn tootin'! Hold your ground!

Yes, we did keep the AB. He's super sweet, and very gentle with Eddy and the cats. Its interesting to see the similarities and differences between the breeds. He's a good guy, I 'm glad we have him!
Natalie
Just Whelped

Postby SvcDogSawyer » September 24th, 2009, 1:46 pm

kera09 wrote:She also said that if i left the baby in the room with the dogs i would come back to a huge problem ex from her...MISSING TOES!!!

If I remember correctly, it was a Dachshund(or some other little dog) that either chewed off the baby's feet or just it's toes.

Do they think you would just play Thunder Dome with them(2 man enter, 1 man leave for those of you that didn't know)?

Thank them for their opinion and tell them they can say "I told you so" if something should ever happen.
John & Sawyer

"Damn Walkies"
SvcDogSawyer
Not Patrick's Nipple

Postby Marinepits » September 24th, 2009, 2:16 pm

SvcDogSawyer wrote:Do they think you would just play Thunder Dome with them(2 man enter, 1 man leave for those of you that didn't know)?

:spit: LMAO
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Return to Pit Bull Talk