How Do You Get Mildew Out of a Collar?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other three catagories

Postby maberi » September 20th, 2009, 11:40 am

Kayden has a collar with a leather lining on the inside. Over the summer I would water Kayden down after training and over time the collar developed a mildew smell to it. I've washed it 3 times and can't for the life of me get the stink out of it. It is a nice collar so I don't want to toss it, but can't stand the smell.

Any ideas on how to get the smell out?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Pit♥bull » September 20th, 2009, 12:52 pm

Try a mild solution of bleach. :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » September 20th, 2009, 1:20 pm

you can never get rid of mildew. The bleach will, bleach it, but it's still there.... In houses to truly remove the mildew they have to actually take the drywall off and replace it.

You could try leaving it out in a warm dry room for a long time :|

Or sitting it in a box of say, dried Lavender
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Hoyden » September 20th, 2009, 1:47 pm

If it's one of mine, box it up and send it back. I'll make you a new one and use that one as a guinea pit to figure out how to get the smell out.

If it the lining is washable pig skin suede and the collar is made of webbing, you can try washing the collar inside of a pillow case with 1/4 of the recommended amount of oxi clean for a full load of laundry. (So if the oxi clean box says 1/2 cup per full washer, use 1/8 cup)

Then let the collar dry in a warm, but not humid, place.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 20th, 2009, 6:45 pm

Can you leave it out in the sun for a bit? Maybe the fresh air and sunlight will bake it away?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby maberi » September 21st, 2009, 8:36 am

I've tried leaving it out in the sun for a few days and really don't want to bleach it because it is a nice collar and still in really good condition.

I'm going to give the Oxi Clean and pillow case a shot. I think Heidi has some of that stuff downstairs

Thanks
maberi

Postby TinaMartin » September 22nd, 2009, 8:20 am

Also try Odo Ban sp? I use it on all sorts of stuff.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » September 24th, 2009, 2:50 pm

Bleach destroys nylon, so definitely don't do that. I just found my riding chaps while I was hunting for my breeches. I paid a freekin fortune for them and they are covered in mildew (or mold, same thing, whatever...) I'm going to try vinegar on them.

when I bought my saddle it had been stored in a pile of saddles in the top corner of a tack room for God knows how long. It was covered in white powdery mold. I spent a lot of time washing it, alternating between vinegar and saddle soap. The mold still comes back, but not very heavily.

You'll never get all of it out. Mold spores never fully come out of organic material once they are established. You can get at a lot of them and keep them at bay with a little work and maintenance. Once you get the smell out, you'll want to make sure it dries out fully every time it gets wet, instead of letting him wear it while it dries - which can take a while. Or, take it off when you wet him down. :wink:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » September 24th, 2009, 2:53 pm

nylon collars work awesome for outdoor activities ;) they are washable and much less likely to get mildew...

Or just get a few collars, that way one can dry while the other is worn ;) :lol3:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby maberi » September 24th, 2009, 3:03 pm

Hmm, thanks all

I think I need to get him a collar for training because with the hot weather I always water him down after his cool down before I put him in his crate for the ride home

I assume having a little mold within that collar is not going to hurt him?
maberi

Postby HappyChick » September 24th, 2009, 6:50 pm

I'm with Michelle on this - scrub it with vinegar. Check this website:

http://did-you-know-magazine.blogspot.c ... negar.html

Good luck!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 24th, 2009, 7:48 pm

I like these collars for wet activities...my guys all have at least one of these, and they've held up for years now. They do dry quickly, even on wet Aussies...and I've never noticed any smell...even if it's nasty creek/lake water.

(also, if you sign up for the email alerts, they send $5 Friday deals...they put up certain products up each week for only $5.00.)

https://www.spiffydog.com/home.php?cat=252
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Hundilein » September 24th, 2009, 8:00 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:I like these collars for wet activities...my guys all have at least one of these, and they've held up for years now. They do dry quickly, even on wet Aussies...and I've never noticed any smell...even if it's nasty creek/lake water.

(also, if you sign up for the email alerts, they send $5 Friday deals...they put up certain products up each week for only $5.00.)

I second this one. My roommate uses these collars for her dog, who LOVES the water. They seem to dry pretty fast and I've never noticed any smell from them either.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby call2arms » September 24th, 2009, 8:18 pm

Like Michelle said, mildew on leather sucks, but I find that for my horse stuff, a good leather cleaner/conditioner (I have Absorbine horseman's one step, but some people use Lexol with good results, it's just a little expensive) works well to keep it in good condition. I'd definitely try to keep the leather out of the water, but if not I think any product that can kind of "seal it" is good. I also know horse people who use beef foot oil, but it makes the sewing rot.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby maberi » September 24th, 2009, 8:22 pm

Thanks for all the tips ladies. Guys aren't too knowledgeable in the cleaning deparment

Erin, I noticed those collars are the plastic buckle type. Do you think they would hold up ok with a "puller"?

Most of our work is off leash but if I need to grab him I want to make sure the collar isn't going to break on me

TheRedQueen wrote:I like these collars for wet activities...my guys all have at least one of these, and they've held up for years now. They do dry quickly, even on wet Aussies...and I've never noticed any smell...even if it's nasty creek/lake water.

maberi

Postby iluvk9 » September 25th, 2009, 6:51 am

For crying out loud, Matt: OPEN YOUR WALLET AND TAKE OUT MONEY. BUY A NEW ONE JUST LIKE IT. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby dlynne1123 » September 26th, 2009, 5:57 pm

A friend of mine does this crazy midevil reinactment stuff. They use a vodka/water solution and spray on a let dry. Always test with small amount of material but it worked with a friends bite equipment and another friends old costumes.

Cheaper the vodka the better too. Don't know why but it works!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 26th, 2009, 7:58 pm

maberi wrote:Erin, I noticed those collars are the plastic buckle type. Do you think they would hold up ok with a "puller"?

Most of our work is off leash but if I need to grab him I want to make sure the collar isn't going to break on me

They're pretty tough...but then again, my guys don't pull into them... :| But for my purposes...they've held up really well. :dance:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » September 26th, 2009, 10:28 pm

Dlynne - vodka was the next thing I was going to suggest. That's what my sister used on the costumes for the renaissance faire (she was the head costumer for a faire for 6 years.)

Matt, I wouldn't trust anything with a plastic buckle on him. I don't put anything with plastic anything on our three. I just don't trust it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » September 28th, 2009, 9:46 am

My guys also wear really loose collars...it frightened Liz when she saw Score's collars and the way they fit...:giggle: So plastic or not...doesn't matter to me for my dogs...I'm not the best one to ask. ;)

TheRedQueen

Next

Return to All the Rest