Looking for a dog

Postby mnp13 » September 17th, 2009, 1:57 pm

My parents had to put down their Pomeranian on Monday, and are looking for another one. The would like a young-ish black male. Tribble was one of the big ones - he was about 15 pounds, they don't want a little tiny one. They have an adult female Standard Poodle as well.

They would also take a Skipperke or a Pappilion (sp?). Why the range of breeds? Because depending on who you asked, Tribble was one of the three or a mix of them. Some people swore he was a "bad example" of a pure bred of each.

If anyone knows of one, please let me know. He would be going to an active home. Both of my parents work full time, but evenings and weekends are spent outdoors.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » September 17th, 2009, 2:18 pm

obviously I'm not much help. But on a quick glance of local shelters, there are a lot of cute Pit Bulls!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » September 17th, 2009, 2:45 pm

My mom just called me - she didn't know my dad was going to call me. lol

She said 3 years old is the youngest they will take.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » September 17th, 2009, 2:49 pm

:lol3:

Hartford had a gold one last week, but he was adopted out quickly. I'll keep my ears open.....
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Dog_Shrink » September 17th, 2009, 4:56 pm

They should look on petfinder and depending on where they are located there is a pom rescue called PomPrints in Oakdale Pa. and another called Pomeranian and small breed rescue (not sure of the location off hand). If they do a petfinder search they should search all 3 breeds because they are often mislabeled. They can also do a shelter search and use the key word pomeranian. Then any rescue that has it in the name will come up. Lastly they can always contact some one who does breed consulting and rescue referral (Like me :wink: ) and that person should be able to find them a dog in no time since they should have knowledge of the local resources.
Dog_Shrink
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 17th, 2009, 7:55 pm

Petfinder? What is that of which you speak? :wink:

I'm actually trying to avoid "formal" rescue at this point because it's kind of sticky to help someone adopt an animal because most rescues get all weirded out when you say "I'm looking for an animal for someone"

Right now I'm going by word of mouth and networking - under the table as it were...
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » September 17th, 2009, 8:53 pm

what about spca's and shelters?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Dog_Shrink » September 17th, 2009, 10:43 pm

I do it all the time with my rescue assistance program. I just state who I am and that I'm inquiring about a dog for a "client" of mine and they usually can't tell you enough about it. Those that act all wierded out, we likely didn't want to deal with them anyway . :crazy2: They also have a classifieds section on petfinder at the top for personal ads for people placing dogs. I've seen Poms in there too.
Dog_Shrink
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 17th, 2009, 11:31 pm

I'll keep poking around Petfinder, I'm doing the legwork on this little endeavor, so keep me in mind if you hear of anything.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Dog_Shrink » September 18th, 2009, 12:03 am

Sure will. What's the zip code for the area that your parents live so that I can narrow my search? How far are they willing to travel to collect the dog?
Dog_Shrink
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 18th, 2009, 8:27 am

I'd likely be doing the travelling because they'll want me to meet and evaluate the dog before committing to it. I'm willing to travel 100 miles or so.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Dog_Shrink » September 18th, 2009, 3:52 pm

Still need your zip code MIchelle so I can do my search for ya hon
Dog_Shrink
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » September 18th, 2009, 7:06 pm

Crap....one of my students told me the first week of school that they had a pom they were looking to re-home (both her parents have lost their jobs, and they may be losing their home)....the dog is 2.5 years old, male, has a CGC, has been through intermediate training at a local training venue (she told me which one, and they're pretty good), and was groomed once a month since they got him... he's fully housetrained, good with kids and adults, cats, and other dogs...

The dog was bought from a breeder in the south (Georgia I think) when it was 8 weeks old. It's papered (AKC), but fixed....her parents bought the dog as a christmas gift for the kids...but with their current situation, they really have to worry about feeding themselves...I have all my student appointments on my calendar at work....but if I look at that, I can remember who had the dog, and get some more info and pics...

She said they would hold on to the dog as long as they possibly could....they're living off her parents' savings right now...but they didn't want to just dump the dog at a shelter...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » September 19th, 2009, 12:56 am

I have a possible lead on a black pom (mix?) down here in MD...a friend of a friend (Denise on the flyball team)...took this dog away from her grown son...he wasn't taking care of it. Not dog friendly though...I don't know if that's a problem.

I'll get more details tomorrow.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » September 19th, 2009, 10:10 pm

Katrina - definitely keep me up dated on that.

Erin - how "not dog friendly" is he? As in "fixable" or "kill everything that moves"? My parent's have a Standard Poodle and of course, my dogs are with me when we go to their house.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » September 19th, 2009, 11:57 pm

mnp13 wrote:Katrina - definitely keep me up dated on that.

Erin - how "not dog friendly" is he? As in "fixable" or "kill everything that moves"? My parent's have a Standard Poodle and of course, my dogs are with me when we go to their house.

I'm still waiting on details...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Rolex+Deebo » September 24th, 2009, 6:21 pm

http://rochesterny.kijiji.com/c-Pets-Do ... Z157356548
he is red, but sounds great, and is here in rochester. :|
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Ino » October 2nd, 2009, 8:37 am

Male Pomeranian - Free

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-10-02, 6:11AM EDT
Reply to: comm-tfxcz-1402506778@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crate Trained
House Trained
Snuggler
Standard Size
2 Years old.
Will follow you everywhere.

Rehoming him because he's not getting along with one of my dogs.
He's great with my other pom, He just doesn't like my lab or vice versa.

Can send pictures, upon request. Please don't just email me though to see pictures.
Only if you are rally interested and want to give a good boy a good home.

Please email me, if you would like to come and see him.
Thanks

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

This ad was on Rochester Craigslist this morning. It was the oldest one I found on any of the NY craigslist ads. Does not tell much but figured you can contact them through the email link if you wanted to.
Kim
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby jcoffey917 » October 9th, 2009, 5:00 pm

This was on Craigslist today- Not black, but he's SUPER cute

http://rochester.craigslist.org/pet/1413568809.html

Toby is a year and 8 months old. He is really cute and playful. He is potty trained and is really clean. come and see him today. Adoption fee is 150. my number is 585-467-4704

jcoffey917
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » October 9th, 2009, 9:10 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Katrina - definitely keep me up dated on that.

I'm still waiting on details...

Sorry it took so long...the family is keeping the dog, (the adult son wanted the dog back, long story...so he's cleaning up his act to get the dog back from mom)

TheRedQueen

Next

Return to Rescue