Atopica

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby LMM » September 9th, 2009, 4:03 pm

I know there are a few members here who use this. My mom has had Molly on this for her allergies for a little while now and she just found out through a series of vet visits that Mojo needs to go on it as well. As you can imagine, that's a pretty hefty bill each month :shock:

If you are using Atopica, I was wondering where you purchased it. Do you go with your vet or is there an online source you've found to be cheaper.

TIA!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby hugapitbull » September 9th, 2009, 7:32 pm

We always purchased through the vet. There are offers occasionally for rebates. I never found an alternative source.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » September 9th, 2009, 10:33 pm

If you google "Atopica" there are tons of on-line resources/places that sell it, do a price comparison, etc.
You still need a vet script, but those can be faxed...
And, holy jeebus, it IS expensive. :shock:

Is this a year-round-every-day med??? :o
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » September 10th, 2009, 3:34 am

The dose depends on the animal's reaction, some dogs can go down to one or 2 pills per week, others have to take it more frequently.

Do be careful where you get it from and in what form, I've had a Vet tell me that the brand Atopica works best, he figured something about the absorption from the Brand name caps was more effective, and noted that clients who weren't taking brand name Atopica still ended up spending more as they needed more of the med.

LMM, I've heard really amazing things about it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby LMM » September 10th, 2009, 9:46 am

Thanks for the responses guys! I am already leery about all these different prices but I do know to stick with the Atopica brand. Something about the generic versions and the process in which they are made, it makes dogs more nauseous or something like that. I figured it didn't hurt to ask right lol My mom did tell me last night that when she gets it from her vet she can get some deals (ex. buy 6 get one free)and rebates, so she is going to stick with them.

Christine, it's just like Malli said, it depends on the dog. Ideally you try to get them down to every 3rd day I think it is. Molly right now is on every other day and doing well. Since Mojo will just be starting he'll be taking it every day for a little while.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby kera09 » September 10th, 2009, 10:39 am

maybe this would be good for duges allergies hmmmmmm.....maybe i shall make a trip to the vet.
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby hugapitbull » September 10th, 2009, 12:43 pm

Malli wrote:The dose depends on the animal's reaction, some dogs can go down to one or 2 pills per week, others have to take it more frequently.

Do be careful where you get it from and in what form, I've had a Vet tell me that the brand Atopica works best, he figured something about the absorption from the Brand name caps was more effective, and noted that clients who weren't taking brand name Atopica still ended up spending more as they needed more of the med.

LMM, I've heard really amazing things about it.

Trouble's maintenance dose was every three days, so the cost isn't so bad once you get there.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » September 15th, 2009, 6:49 pm

what is it?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » September 16th, 2009, 3:42 am

Cyclosporin A.

Its an immunosuppressive drug. It works similar to Prednisone, by calming or "suppressing" the immune system to stop it from overreacting to allergens, only the side effects are much less significant then Prednisone, or, it seems, in some cases, nonexistent.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health