Gimpy Old Dogs R Us

Postby Violet » September 14th, 2009, 4:14 pm

Well..about a week and a half ago some time I saw a posting on CL about a stray dog. She was an older dog..she showed up at someones place of work..they were begging for help.She was really cute. It made me sad. I ignored it. Then last week on Thursday I got an email from someone else who had worked at the same place begging for help. The boss had called animal control. Now the dog was in serious jeopardy because she has a bad knee. She was never going to make it to the adoption floor. Half an hour later I got an email from another rescue about the same dog..anything I could do? So..I contacted teh good sam that contacted me..asked a few questions and promised to call AC and see what they had to say about her. Well..I called..and they gushed. Apparently the dog is a complete doll. Not to mention adorable. However, she has a grade 3 to 4 luxated patella and she is obese. Ok..i told them let me think about it..and i sent the plea out to Karladaune. (I know who to sucker) I told her everything i knew..and she too wanted to think about it. And we both came to the same conclusion...the poor older dog needed at least a chance. By noon on Tuesday, AC had tracked down her owner..in jail. They are going to be there for awhile..so they tearfully gave verbal consent for the dog to be sent to rescue..and I went down and picked her up Thursday.

This dog is just the sweetest. she is SUCH a good girl. Even in the chaos and hubbub of the shelter she was unflappable. And when her leash was handed over to me she hopped right into my van (and right into shotgun position) for the ride home. She is super easy going. Not fond of the whole crate thing but will learn. Apparently lived with cats and a chihuahua. She may need surgery downline but right now we are putting her on supplements and getting the excess weight off of her. She also has a couple of infections being treated (ears and vaginal) Judging from her overall condition, she has probably had that bad knee for a LONG time. It doesn't slow her down, she just walks funny. lol this is a super dog. She really is a complete gem. I look forward to giving you guys lots of updates. Without further ado, here is Sky-Belle. Who will be Annabelle. (she could REALLY use a sponsor!!)
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » September 14th, 2009, 4:24 pm

What a story for her! :( I'm glad you guys have her now!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BigDogBuford » September 14th, 2009, 5:15 pm

If everything works out for Alfred I'd be more than happy to take this girl. I'm good with the gimpy old dogs! I wouldn't be able to pay for surgery but I'd be more than happy to rehab her.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby iluvk9 » September 14th, 2009, 7:41 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:If everything works out for Alfred I'd be more than happy to take this girl. I'm good with the gimpy old dogs! I wouldn't be able to pay for surgery but I'd be more than happy to rehab her.

You TOTALLY ROCK!!!

And that face is irresistible!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby karladaune » September 14th, 2009, 9:34 pm

this girl is SWEET!! I absolutely adore her, as does my boyfriend (which honestly, surprises me.)

She seems to be having some tummy troubles today, but I am pretty sure that just because she's not liking the antibiotic she is on for her infections :-(
karladaune
Just Whelped

Postby BigDogBuford » September 14th, 2009, 9:41 pm

karladaune wrote:this girl is SWEET!! I absolutely adore her, as does my boyfriend (which honestly, surprises me.)

She seems to be having some tummy troubles today, but I am pretty sure that just because she's not liking the antibiotic she is on for her infections :-(

Yogurt and probiotics will be your friend!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby karladaune » September 14th, 2009, 10:00 pm

i stopped and picked up some plain yogurt on the way home...we ran out a couple days ago and I haven't had a chance to get more :oops:

What kind of probiotic supplement do you use? I stood and just stared at the shelves on saturday :rolleyes2:
karladaune
Just Whelped

Postby BigDogBuford » September 14th, 2009, 10:33 pm

karladaune wrote:i stopped and picked up some plain yogurt on the way home...we ran out a couple days ago and I haven't had a chance to get more :oops:

What kind of probiotic supplement do you use? I stood and just stared at the shelves on saturday :rolleyes2:

I think I grabbed an All The Best brand last time. I'll have to look and see what I got this time. It's about time for another supplement order anyhoo.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Emi » September 15th, 2009, 6:00 am

What a goregous old lady, I wish her loads of luck on finding a new home.

Thanks gals for going to her rescue...
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 15th, 2009, 11:37 am

Awww...what a sweetie.

Sawyer has a luxating patella too...and he really only has trouble when he runs hard on it. Stretching out the legs definitely helps...the sports vet I spoke to recommended lots of long stretches up on the hind legs (unsupported if they can, or support if needed)...and preferably getting a bounce off the ground. Sawyer gets stretched out before every flyball race, and he does just fine. I've trained him to hit the wall with his front feet before we race, so he can stretch out easily without ripping us with his claws!

He's on Dasequin for that knee, and that seems to help. :D

Good luck!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » September 15th, 2009, 12:53 pm

aw, unfortunately I can't help, but she's really cute! Thank you for saving her :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Jenny » October 7th, 2009, 2:47 pm

So stoic and lovely! Very old soul I see?! Thank you for helping this beautiful dog.
"I went shopping for feminine protection. I decided on a .380 automatic."
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Rescue