Bloat?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby cheekymunkee » September 9th, 2009, 7:55 pm

I think bloat is a concern with any breed. Just be careful to not let them play too much after meals, let their stomachs "settle" for a bit first
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby madremissy » September 9th, 2009, 9:37 pm

Marykins wrote:My husband and I were laughing at me earlier this evening when I said to Sox, "No, you can't go out and play yet - you have to let your dinner settle first." - LOLOL!

I have that same conversation with mine every night after dinner. lol
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » September 10th, 2009, 3:51 am

It is a breed that is LESS likely to get Bloat and/or further complications from it. As mentioned it is possible for any dog to become "Bloated" although it is much more common with larger, deeper chested dogs such as German Shepherds (and other Shepherds), Ridgebacks, Weimaraners, Mastiffs, Dobermans, etc; I used to work at a Emerg. Vets and I saw a LOT of bloats, and only one Pit Bull, but there was still one. There is also some evidence that it can be genetic.

Long story short, it is unlikely, though possible :wink:

The best tips are to avoid feeding large meals (instead feed small meals frequently) and make sure that your dog does not exercise for 1-2 hrs after eating.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » September 10th, 2009, 5:48 am

My DIL- to- be has a GSD and a tall goofy Standard Poodle at her house. 8) Her mom is VERY concerned about bloat with the Poodlen as all the others she has owned got bloat. She does what Malli suggested. Smaller meals, and getting crated for 30 minutes after eating.

I have a big jackass of a Labrador, Truman. I am always concerned about it, too. I have read a million arguments FOR and AGAINST raising their dishes. I had been raising it, but just read something (I think in BARK maybe?) that said do NOT raise the dish. So now, he eats on floor level.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » September 10th, 2009, 1:32 pm

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention Poodles and Boxers, It was late! :doh:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pocketpit » September 10th, 2009, 2:11 pm

We were just having a conversation about this the other night at work as we we were doing surgery on a bloated Dane. While we see lots of bloat cases, I have yet to do a Doberman and can only vaguely recall having seen maybe one in all my years as a tech. Since I own two of them it's always been a concern of mine so that's what got my thinking about it. Not to get off topic but have any of you other vet related folks out there seen very many Doberman bloats?
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » September 10th, 2009, 3:39 pm

Personally, no Dobermans, but I've seen more than a few Labs and rotties, and a Weim and a Kuvasz that I can remember. A couple of mixes,too.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » September 10th, 2009, 3:40 pm

I've seen a few. Dobes are terrible because they don't seem to handle the pain control well :rolleyes2:

I've probably mostly seen Poodles, Danes, and Boxers, in that order.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » September 11th, 2009, 5:50 am

Malli wrote:Oh yeah! I forgot to mention Poodles and Boxers, It was late! :doh:

Oooohhhhh!!!! I mentioned Poodles and Mallika didn't! :neener:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » September 11th, 2009, 1:16 pm

:neener:
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » September 11th, 2009, 2:01 pm

Lately I've seen a Bernese, as well. The dog had eaten a rawhide bone, no exercise... I guess the whole bone had gained volume in the stomach or something.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby pocketpit » September 11th, 2009, 4:35 pm

I'm sure some of it has to do with breed popularity in any given area, but we see a lot of Danes and St. Poodles along with Shepherds, Mastiffs, Bernese, St Bernards, Rottweilers, the occasional Boxer and Malamute, and a lot of mixes of the above breeds. We've also done a Kuvaz. I've even seen a puppy with bloat (a Pit Bull less than 4 months old) which was really strange.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby juniper8204 » September 11th, 2009, 5:57 pm

The only bloat I ever saw was a Dane, and unfortunately the owners didn't know the warning signs, and by the time they got to us, he was already on his way to the Bridge. They said that he'd drank nearly a gallon of water all at once and then started acting weird after that, but thought he was just full. :shock:

I used to have a Dane, and I was always really careful not to let him eat too much at once, drink too much at once, and exercise right after a meal.

From what I've heard, the dogs that have to worry the most are the ones who have the deep chest with a little waist like Danes, Dobies, Boxers, Greyhounds, Poodles etc., but no dog is immune to it.
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » September 12th, 2009, 8:01 am

Oh, one more thing I read (again, forgot where...) if you feed dry kibble, don't feed the smaller pellets. Larger ones are better to help avoid bloat. I think the idea behind that was they don't eat it as quickly.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » September 12th, 2009, 7:15 pm

We had a post-bloat surgery st. poodle at work today, he was doing great. He managed to rip his catether and pee on his opsite (he was able to go out but felt like it was a great idea to pee while laying down, on his thigh and the surgery site. That dog (and his fellow housemate) recently ate a bottle of Rymadil. I just don't get why their owner is looking into getting another poodle... The vet was talking her into doing preventative bloat surgery when the puppy gets sterilized.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » September 13th, 2009, 2:41 am

I am SO NOT a poodle fan. They are weird, quirky, badly behaved creatures.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » September 13th, 2009, 5:40 pm

Actually this specific poodle impressed me today - he gave paw to have his catheter removed, by one person (no one holding). He was not exceedingly smart, but very obedient and gentle.

There was also a little pit bull named Pablo up for adoption - was brought in to be euthanized cause he showed dog aggression + food guarding (around dogs). White with brindle patches, about 40 pounds, 1 year old, will be neutered and a face as cute as a button. Anyone interested?

call2arms
Boys Stink

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk