Buddy is ONE..he needs help

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby katiek0417 » July 24th, 2009, 11:25 pm

mnp13 wrote:Just be very very aware of giving him any corrections with other dogs around until you get really good with your timing. That's a big challenge when I'm working with someone, I have a lot of practice with timing corrections, so I can usually get compliance pretty quickly. When I hand the least back to the owner they can't always duplicate it.

Liz, I'm pretty sure I had posted something to you not too long ago regarding some problems you were having with Inara with reactivity...

I'm a very big believer in working the dog without any distractions first. Then slowly introducing distractions...first at a far distance....then eventually moving closer. However, the first part, working without the distraction is imperative b/c that is how the handler really learns to read the dog. You can't effectively give a correction (with the right timing) if you can't read the dog.

And this is one thing that I want to work on with Jenn....PRIOR to introducing any distractions!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby aussiepitty » September 3rd, 2009, 10:54 pm

Maybe you should try gettin a bit of a tree branch only a small shrubby one and when he gets all excited just tap him on side of the leg the noise of that and a grunt should distract him from other dogs, its much less painfull than the collars. I did it with my dog nippa now she dont care bout other dogs unless they come to her but i usually scare them off before she is even noticing whats going on
aussiepitty
Just Whelped

Postby jnreem » September 3rd, 2009, 10:58 pm

aussiepitty wrote:Maybe you should try gettin a bit of a tree branch only a small shrubby one and when he gets all excited just tap him on side of the leg the noise of that and a grunt should distract him from other dogs, its much less painfull than the collars. I did it with my dog nippa now she dont care bout other dogs unless they come to her but i usually scare them off before she is even noticing whats going on

hmm interesting, i will see how that works! thanks!
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » September 4th, 2009, 12:09 pm

aussiepitty wrote:Maybe you should try gettin a bit of a tree branch only a small shrubby one and when he gets all excited just tap him on side of the leg the noise of that and a grunt should distract him from other dogs, its much less painfull than the collars. I did it with my dog nippa now she dont care bout other dogs unless they come to her but i usually scare them off before she is even noticing whats going on

So you whack your dog with a tree branch for training? On a regular basis?

Hmmmm.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby aussiepitty » September 4th, 2009, 5:04 pm

not whack tap her with a grunt and it only was done for about 3 days then she never cared bout dogs if you read it correctly i said the noise of it all should deture him from other dogs
aussiepitty
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » September 5th, 2009, 8:08 am

aussiepitty wrote:not whack tap her with a grunt and it only was done for about 3 days then she never cared bout dogs if you read it correctly i said the noise of it all should deture him from other dogs

Why a tree branch?

What if it doesn't work for Buddy?

How hard is a tap?

Does she really not care about other dogs, or does she suppress the behavior in order to avoid the "taps"?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby jnreem » September 5th, 2009, 10:06 am

TheRedQueen wrote:
aussiepitty wrote:not whack tap her with a grunt and it only was done for about 3 days then she never cared bout dogs if you read it correctly i said the noise of it all should deture him from other dogs

Why a tree branch?

What if it doesn't work for Buddy?

How hard is a tap?

Does she really not care about other dogs, or does she suppress the behavior in order to avoid the "taps"?

It probably won't work for Buddy because he is ADHD, even if it was a whack and not a tap he still wouldn't pay attention, plus i would never hit him with a tree branch lol

And we haven't even started any training on the prong collar yet because I personally have had zero time. And the last time we walked he wasn't nearly as bad as before and that was just me making sure he knew I was the leader of this walk not him. He did wonderful until we came across these two certain dogs again that I think I have complained on here before. They have an invisible fence (like Buddy) but the owners do exactly what they shouldn't do, they have a doggy door so they come out when the please and even if there barking or harassing other dogs walking by the owners are never outside with them nor do the even look out or make them come in.

First off its very rare if Buddy even goes out the front door and if he does i am right by him, and if another dog walks by i make him come in before they even get close to our house. And when he goes out back we still will be standing there with him. He never tests it either. (that part is kind of off subject but it drives me crazy when our walk is ruined by these dogs and i even walk different ways to avoid them but it takes us near a busy road and I don't like that way.
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby BigDogBuford » September 5th, 2009, 11:22 am

Can you carry a squirt bottle and squirt the other dogs when they're barking and being annoying?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby TheRedQueen » September 5th, 2009, 11:48 am

BigDogBuford wrote:Can you carry a squirt bottle and squirt the other dogs when they're barking and being annoying?

Or use the stick on the other dogs?

:dance:

TheRedQueen

Postby jnreem » September 5th, 2009, 1:18 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:
BigDogBuford wrote:Can you carry a squirt bottle and squirt the other dogs when they're barking and being annoying?

Or use the stick on the other dogs?

:dance:

lol i haven't tried the water bottle, but he hatess water so maybe i will try the water bottle thing, and I never walk on that side of the street because he's always breaking my arm when I am on the other side of the street i can't imagine how he'd be if we on that side of the street. And I would like to use the stick on the owners but there never around for me to do that either :dance:
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby aussiepitty » September 5th, 2009, 8:13 pm

my dog too has adhd i have never hit her but the shrub worked for her only took like 3 days to take effect and then no need for it, im dead set against animal cruelty..........
my nippa is the most gentle dog with a great personality to go with it i try to syeer away from water training so i can always swim and play with her and it makes it easier come bath time......but also what works for me might not work for you...
aussiepitty
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » September 5th, 2009, 9:05 pm

aussiepitty wrote:my dog too has adhd i have never hit her but the shrub worked for her only took like 3 days to take effect and then no need for it, im dead set against animal cruelty..........
my nippa is the most gentle dog with a great personality to go with it i try to syeer away from water training so i can always swim and play with her and it makes it easier come bath time......but also what works for me might not work for you...

I may have read it wrong, but I thought the suggestion was to use the spray bottle on the OTHER dogs to get them to shut up :?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby jnreem » November 6th, 2009, 10:37 pm

So Buddy was very responsive with the prong collar and did really well. He is learning really quickly and is actually taking treats because he is more focused on me rather the other distractions. Very excited to keep working with him! Thanks Katrina!! :)
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby katiek0417 » November 7th, 2009, 11:48 am

jnreem wrote:So Buddy was very responsive with the prong collar and did really well. He is learning really quickly and is actually taking treats because he is more focused on me rather the other distractions. Very excited to keep working with him! Thanks Katrina!! :)

I'm glad your happy! :dance: And I was so happy to meet the goofy lug! He is a sweetheart! He is a very fast learner - and I think this will come very easy for him!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Previous