You've GOTTA be kidding me-stories from the animal hospital

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby juniper8204 » September 3rd, 2009, 9:50 pm

I started my new job at an animal hospital about two weeks ago, and so far I'm really liking it. I've done this work before; I'm a receptionist. While I like my job, there are the usual rants:

I have very strong convictions about what kind of food I feed my dogs (Innova Evo), so when people ask me what is a good food to feed, I direct them to that and tell them to steer clear of any food with corn, wheat, soy, by-products, and chemicals. We don't carry Innova, unfortunately, and there's only one place in town that does. Well, this lady came in the other day and asked me what is a food I recommend. I told her about it, and she looked at me like I had three heads because she'd never heard of the food. I wrote down the name and where to get it and told her why it was such a good food. Well, the licensed tech came up, and I guess she figured that since I'm a "lowly receptionist" my opinion and suggestion doesn't count...she asked the tech what she recommended for food, and the tech said "Purina is the best food out there no matter what anyone says. It's very tasteful and full of superb nutrition...there is no food out there that surpasses Purina health-wise. They did a study and dogs are proven to live longer if fed Purina. That's what they recommended when I was in school, and that's what I'll always feed. Beneful is especially good." My jaw dropped...you mean to tell me that someone with a college education can't open their minds a little and realize that Purina (and the like) is all CRAP??? All one has to do is read the ingredients!!!! :rant: And I feel bad because now this lady is going to buy this HUGE bag of Beneful and end up coming for tummy problems, allergies, etc.

That was one rant...here's another. This lady comes in this afternoon to pick up her black pit bull (poss. mix?). She told me "did you know that he's really a bluenose?" I told her "You know bluenose and blue are just colors, not types, right?" And she said "Oh, yeah, he's a blue nose pit bull" I said "Does he have a blue nose?" "Uh...no...he looks black, but he's really a bluenose; his parents were both blue and white." It was closing, and I wasn't about to get into a huge debate with the woman. So, apparently I can have a red car, that's really green, but it just looks red. :rolleyes2:
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » September 3rd, 2009, 10:41 pm

Well I'm glad to hear there is a receptionist out there who actually is knowledgeable!

Where I work the receptionists don't know anything about food and will recommend Science Diet because we carry it, and they also will complain about knowing nothing medically IE: Mrs. So and So wants to know what our kidney protocol is, instead of learning what the basic run down is, fluids for a few days etc, they'd rather complain that they don't know anything!

When people ask me about food I always try to direct them to our local Pet Store [Nature's Pet] which sells food brands like Innova, Canidae, First Mate, etc, as well as some raw brands.

It really shocks be about the whole Beneful thing, I'm against anything that is colorful :p
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby aussiepitty » September 3rd, 2009, 10:41 pm

hey what dog biscuits do you recomend? i live out in the dessert of australia so i never have shortage of fresh roo meat, what veges do you recomend also cause my nippa loves her veges and i want her to live as long as possible... thank you....
aussiepitty
Just Whelped

Postby HappyChick » September 3rd, 2009, 11:15 pm

I was just wondering earlier today how the job is going for you. I'm glad you like it!

And cool, you drive a red car! :hammer:
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » September 4th, 2009, 7:43 am

8) You may have to write a book about your adventures at your job.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TinaMartin » September 4th, 2009, 8:16 am

aussiepitty wrote:hey what dog biscuits do you recomend? i live out in the dessert of australia so i never have shortage of fresh roo meat, what veges do you recomend also cause my nippa loves her veges and i want her to live as long as possible... thank you....

How about Roo jerky! :D Will she eat sweet potato pieces?
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » September 4th, 2009, 9:55 am

What's wrong with Beneful? I have many clients feeding it to their dogs, so it must be good right? :| :dance:

(this is why I never ask about food at my vet's office)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby kera09 » September 4th, 2009, 10:09 am

i would never ever feed my dogs that crap aka poison!!!! the dumb tech ugh
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby call2arms » September 4th, 2009, 10:37 am

That is really weird... Vet clinic and Beneful. Never tought these two things came together. Not in my neck of the wood, at least. I mean, Purina, yes... But the veterinary diets only, for specific health problems, but not Beneful!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby LMM » September 4th, 2009, 12:51 pm

Yikes, very frustrating indeed :shock:
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby juniper8204 » September 4th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Well, I thought I'd written a response earlier, but I guess I forgot to press the submit button! LOL oops.

At my previous job, receptionists were encouraged to learn all they could so that way we wouldn't have to waste time tracking down a tech/doctor for a question and so our clinic wouldn't come across as being uneducated. Here though, there are "receptionist questions" (ie "what time do you close?") and tech/doctor questions (ie "what is the heartworm treatment protocol for your clinic?"). I find it extremely frustrating because even though I know the answers to a lot of the questions, many of them I'm unable to answer because I'm not qualified to. It makes me want to go back to school, get my tech degree and be done with it.

As far as treats that are good...roo jerky does sound tasty...for a dog. I feed Innova brand treats.

And :oops: I don't have a red car...mine is gray. I was just trying to make a point. :D Does my husband's bright orange car count??

A book is tempting! I bet if I stay there long enough, I would have quite a collection of stories. Like the lady who came in today to return her medication, barely said a word to us, we were all very polite to her, then she called back an hour after she left to tell the supervisor that the lady that processed her return had been very cross and rude to her...little did she know that it was the supervisor who had processed the transaction, who had answered the phone and who she was talking to! :doh:
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 5th, 2009, 9:21 am

call2arms wrote:That is really weird... Vet clinic and Beneful. Never tought these two things came together. Not in my neck of the wood, at least. I mean, Purina, yes... But the veterinary diets only, for specific health problems, but not Beneful!

But how else will you make so much money on dogs with intestinal problems? ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby HappyChick » September 5th, 2009, 9:35 am

juniper8204 wrote:And :oops: I don't have a red car...mine is gray. I was just trying to make a point. :D Does my husband's bright orange car count??

I knew you didn't, I was just trying to be as goofy and the lady with the black/blue pit bull!!! :mrgreen:

BTW, I drive an orange car, too!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby juniper8204 » September 5th, 2009, 10:43 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:But how else will you make so much money on dogs with intestinal problems? ;)

That's precisely what I think!
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby demolitionic » September 6th, 2009, 4:05 pm

At the clinic I used to work at, I was told not to teach a client how to break up her dogs' fights (not pits by the way) after she had to bring one in after their last "scuffle" and the dog needed surgery, among other things. (The woman informed me she would be tazing the dogs the next time they needed to be separated, because crate and rotate was "impossible", and yelling at them didn't work.)

I was also told by our rotating vet not to talk about RAW, because of how unhealthy it is. You know, because of the salmonella that comes with dogs eating raw chicken.

Oh. I was also told not to tell clients with pit bulls where or how they could seek out more information on being responsible owners, because it wasn't my place.

Did I mention that the (same rocket scientist rotating) vet treated a young pit bull puppy (5 weeks) with a belly full of worms whose front legs were all scabbed up because her "owner" (yes, it needed quotes) decided that when they puppy wouldn't walk on a leash, he needed to pull her down the concrete sidewalk? I did not know about this until the client was long gone, because obviously, I'd have called AC myself.

. . . Good vets are hard to find.

I'd love a receptionist who didn't require a helmet and a drool cup, but a lot of places frown on that.
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby amazincc » September 6th, 2009, 4:35 pm

demolitionic wrote:
I'd love a receptionist who didn't require a helmet and a drool cup, but a lot of places frown on that.

You have SUCH a way w/words, Amanda. :giggle:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby furever_pit » September 6th, 2009, 9:32 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I work as a Vet Assistant and have honestly have just given in to the fact that I'm only allowed to recommend Science Diet or Iam's because that is all that we carry. We've had reps from both of these companies come in for "lunch and learns" and it's pathetic. They can't even answer half of my questions. And my coworkers wonder why I refuse to feed this free food to my pets.

I won't even get into what crap my coworkers say about Pit Bulls even tho every one of them owns one. :crazy2:
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby juniper8204 » September 9th, 2009, 7:15 am

Oh, and a guy came in yesterday and asked me if I knew anyone with pit bull pups. I told him "no" and then he asked if I knew of anyone with Rotti pups. Again, I said "no". He said he wanted to know because he's wanting to get a Rotti and a pit and BREED THEM. :shock: I told him that if he's wanting a mutt, to just go to the pound and give a dog a home...there's more than enough mutts on this planet.
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TinaMartin » September 9th, 2009, 8:10 am

Gotta love dumb people.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby furever_pit » September 9th, 2009, 8:40 pm

juniper8204 wrote:Oh, and a guy came in yesterday and asked me if I knew anyone with pit bull pups. I told him "no" and then he asked if I knew of anyone with Rotti pups. Again, I said "no". He said he wanted to know because he's wanting to get a Rotti and a pit and BREED THEM. :shock: I told him that if he's wanting a mutt, to just go to the pound and give a dog a home...there's more than enough mutts on this planet.

Did he tell you he is trying to make a super race of guardian dogs?? I can just see that thought process.

There are some shop dogs that come into our clinic once a week for baths and it started off as 2 Rotties and 1 Rott/Hound mix thing. Well, the male Rottie and the Rottie mix bred together and now all of their pups are reaching sexual maturity and live together 24/7 with no supervision or separation. Can we say inbreeding??? Oh let the fun begin. :puke:
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk