Aggressive Fibrosarcoma

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby furever_pit » September 1st, 2009, 9:12 pm

Chief is a 3 year old GSD/Wolf Hybrid that my father and I own...though he is, without a doubt, my father's dog. A year and a half ago we had a rather large subcutaneous fibrosarcoma removed from the side of his belly. It was biopsied and we were told that this a very aggressive form of cancer and that we would probably see it again. Well, there was nothing for a year a half and then one day out of the blue he had lumps. Last week a tumor was removed from Chief's elbow and one of his toes was amputated. The vet had pretty much told us that she doesn't want to do another surgery on Chief, that any treatment isn't really going to do anything. That he is too young and the cancer is too aggressive. The one option that was given to us is radiation, but I took care of my Dad when he went through that and quite frankly neither one of us is willing to put an animal through that hell. (Plus it is prohibitively expensive.)

So, my Dad has located a holistic vet in his area and has contacted them. He will be taking Chief in to see them but so far they have suggested that Chief be put on a natural diet. I've asked my Dad to talk to them about DVP and raw feeding and see what they think would be best. Any other foods we should check into? I've just never heard of diet being able to help with something like this.

I don't know, I am really at a loss here. Chief is to my Dad what Dylan is to me. I just feel so bad for him. :sad2: :sad2:
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » September 1st, 2009, 9:21 pm

Have you seen an oncologist?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 1st, 2009, 9:22 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Chief. :( I have no info about the feeding/holistic care, but I'll be sending lots of good, healthy thoughts his way.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby furever_pit » September 1st, 2009, 9:30 pm

Marinepits wrote:Have you seen an oncologist?

No. We have never been referred to one.
We were told after the first surgery that Chief should get radiation treatment, but for the reasons I listed above we did not do that. Chemo has never been discussed as a viable option for Chief and the doctor at the lab that performed the biopsy did not advise any treatment.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » September 1st, 2009, 9:32 pm

I'm so sorry. Good luck Chief
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby TheRedQueen » September 1st, 2009, 9:34 pm

:hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Marinepits » September 1st, 2009, 9:39 pm

Well, maybe visit an oncologist -- s/he might know of alternative treatments that a "regular" vet or surgeon may not know.

As far as holistic care, I know some of my human friends have used it in conjunction with traditional cancer treatments such as radiation and chemo. They thought it helped so I imagine it may help Chief.

I'm sorry about his diagnosis and I'm very sorry for your dad. :(
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby hugapitbull » September 1st, 2009, 10:06 pm

I'm so sorry to hear the diagnosis. Sending you guys lots of good thoughts as you face this journey.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby HappyChick » September 1st, 2009, 10:08 pm

I'm so sorry Chief is having to fight this battle. Vinny and I are really new to the fight against cancer so I don't have a lot of advice. Vinny has lymphoma. We are doing chemo, changed his diet completely, and are using supplements.

This is how it's gone for us in just one month. viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30443

I truly believe that diet and supplements have made a HUGE contribution to where Vinny is now. It's a lot of extra responsibility in the beginning, but is more worth it than you can imagine right now. Plus, doing the research, changing the diet, and getting into the fight will give you a sense of hope because you (or your dad) are doing something. You are actively participating in the fight.

You took a huge step to help Chief get better by posting on this forum. The folks here are AMAZING! The love, good thoughts, and advice can't be beat!

I should also say you have Chief's young age on your side. Good luck and good thoughts to you, your dad, and Chief! :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » September 1st, 2009, 10:23 pm

Thousands of PBT :goodthoughts: coming at ya Chief :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby madremissy » September 1st, 2009, 10:54 pm

Good Thoughts to Chief. I hope you can get the answers you need soon. :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby BullyLady » September 1st, 2009, 11:49 pm

No suggestions, just my sympathies and good thoughts for Chief. :hug3:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Hundilein » September 2nd, 2009, 12:23 am

I have no suggestions, but wanted to send some hugs and good thoughts :hug3:
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby furever_pit » September 2nd, 2009, 8:57 pm

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone!

HappyChick, thank you. You are right, I think both my Dad and I will feel better if we get more involved instead of just accepting that this is Chief's fate. I got in touch with the oncologist down here in FL and told them about Chief and they faxed me some information on diet and supplements that they recommend for their patients. My Dad has found an oncologist near where he lives and he is going to call them tomorrow to make an appointment. I've told him to skip the holistic vet for now and go see the oncologist instead. I am anxious to hear what they say.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby HappyChick » September 2nd, 2009, 9:41 pm

Oh, that is great that you have a plan!!! :D I like that the Oncologist has information on diet and supplements. What do they suggest? The folks on this forum who have been through this have fantastic advice on diet and supplements as well. What is Chief eating now? Do your homework based on the suggestions that you get here. Remember, though, that each type of cancer is different, each dog is different, and each person's circumstances are different. Ultimately you need to do what you feel is right - good advice I received here too.

Good thoughts to you all!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby furever_pit » September 2nd, 2009, 10:05 pm

The oncologist that I spoke with recommended either a grain-free kibble supplemented with partially cooked or raw food or just to go with a raw diet. But I want to wait to see what the oncologist who actually gets to examine Chief and look over his records says. IMO it's just not the same coming from a doctor who doesn't get to see the pet.

Right now all of the farm dogs are on a Diamond food that is sold at the local feed store. A lot of the diet decision is going to based on what is available in my Dad's area tho. It's a very small town and I actually have no idea where there is an actual pet store that will have a wider range of kibble available. Who knows tho, maybe the oncologist stocks a special diet themselves?
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby aussiepitty » September 3rd, 2009, 1:37 am

i am so sorry to hear bout cheif, My thoughts are with you all cant imagine what it must be like. i wish i had a clue bout this situation i will do some research hopefully i can find something to be of help.
aussiepitty
Just Whelped

Return to Canine Cancer