First Raw Meal!!!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 28th, 2006, 6:03 pm

I bought two whole chickens for Inara tonight (organic, $1.39/lb) and had the butcher cut them into four pieces each. So I got eight days worth of food for $9...I was hoping for cheaper, but this is a start. I gave Inara her first raw meal tonight - a leg/thigh/whatever is attached to the thigh. I thought she'd hesitate, but WHOA!!! She dug into that like she'd been eating raw for years!!! She polished it off in less than 10 minutes!!! It was amazing listening to her crunch the bones - it sounded like she was just eating potato chips!!! Wow...enjoy the pics!

I took the chicken away at one point to see how she would react, and she just sat down and looked at me. She's so good! She ate the skin first, and then ate the rest of it.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SisMorphine » April 28th, 2006, 6:07 pm

Fabulous!!!

Wally loves his chicken quarters. They are some good eats :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby rockermom » April 28th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Hmm I thought Chicken bones were dangerous for dogs?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » April 28th, 2006, 6:59 pm

houlabulla? wrote:Hmm I thought Chicken bones were dangerous for dogs?

Only when cooked! Raw bones are fabulous for dogs. Great for the teefers.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby Jenn » April 28th, 2006, 7:07 pm

YAY YOU!!!! Now, let me know how she's doing in a few hours, and I might (just might) give it a try this weekend :)
Jenn
undecided

Postby luvmyangels » April 28th, 2006, 7:28 pm

Awesome!! It is so cool to see them crack the bones and just love it. The collar she has is beautiful!!
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 28th, 2006, 7:39 pm

Thanks for the collar compliment! Hoyden made it!

Jenn, so far she's still great! Every time I so much as twitch a muscle, she looks at me all excited hoping for more chicken! Little oinker...

It was actually kinda awe-inspiring listening to those bones crunch. It's like, you know how strong their jaws are, but then you see them crack through a chicken leg bone like it's a toothpick...I just sat there watching, shaking my head, with my mouth hanging open!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Purple » April 28th, 2006, 8:24 pm

I need to just jump in and go for it. This is very encouraging, thank you!
Purple
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 28th, 2006, 8:32 pm

See how easy that was??? That's all there is to it. You can find food cheaper. There are Yahoo lists for Raw food co-ops, check to see if they have a list for your area. I joined one near me but I haven't participated. Hopefully you can join a group in your area that buys in bulk and you can share am order. They can at least point you to cheaper places to find what you need.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 28th, 2006, 8:37 pm

Well, on the rawfeeding forum you pointed me towards, I met a chick who lives by me and she said the closest co-op is 2 hours away and you can ONLY buy in bulk. However much I'd love to buy a deep-freeze just for puppy meat, the money fairy hasn't arrived yet! So I'm gonna have to find a local place where I can buy one or two weeks worth. I'll check out the grocery stores and some other butchers.
It was easy. Nerve-wracking, but easy. And now I feel so liberated! I thought I was a food-snob before, feeding hoity-toity kibble, but now I think I've joined the pen-ultimate food-snob ranks!!!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby cheekymunkee » April 28th, 2006, 8:49 pm

That damn money fairy never visits me, I think she lost my address.

You might want to check Freecycle in your area for a small chest type freezer. The classifieds may be an option for you too. I saw a small one last year for $50 but I passed on it. I have no room for one.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 28th, 2006, 9:17 pm

Oh that's a really good idea...I've never checked freecycle before...thanks!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Jenn » April 28th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Purple wrote:I need to just jump in and go for it. This is very encouraging, thank you!

Ditto!! So is she still kicking?? ;) LOL J/K That's great though, and I'm glad someone else went first. Now I feel a tad powered.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 29th, 2006, 7:53 am

She's still doing great! I believe this morning I got more puppy kisses than ever before!!! Her poo was a little larger than usual, but not runny. I just feel strange not giving her her morning kibble. I was going to hack the quarters into eigths so she could still get fed 2x a day, but I'm afraid they'd be too small. So she's just gonna have to adjust to 1x a day. Mean mommy... :wink:
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Boss Hogg » April 29th, 2006, 8:42 am

Changing my dogs feeding habits is a concern I have. My dogs eat kibble 2x a day and more than likely they will beg for more, but I dont give them more. Could one quarter piece of raw chicken really keep them full all day? I normally feed them at 6am, then at 6pm. Maybe that's why running with my oldest girl isn't getting her lean :? ,which is what I'm trying to accomplish.
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » April 29th, 2006, 8:47 am

Wally eats twice a day. He gets a chicken quarter in the AM, and at night he gets ground meat with kale, shark cartilage, fish oil, gizzards/organs, and a small bone-thing, usually a neck or a hock.

Granted, he's also a Greyhound and has a fast metabolism, but instead of feeding a chicken quarter everyday you could switch it up and do turkey necks some days so that there is less food and you can feed twice a day without the dog blowing up.

Someone once told me that figuring out the amount of raw to feed is an art, not a science. I believe it :)
SisMorphine

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 29th, 2006, 10:44 am

Looks like she enjoyed her gourmet meal
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Magnolia618 » April 29th, 2006, 12:46 pm

She polished it off in less than 10 minutes!!!

You just wait untill she REALLY gets used to it. My Maggie eats a leg quarter in 30 seconds, tops.

Trey is still pretty slow at it. His metabolism is crazy fast though. The little 36 pounder eats TWO leg quarters a day. Maggie (50ish #s) eats only one and Hendrix (17lbs) eats half of one.

They get other meat, but this was an example.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 29th, 2006, 1:26 pm

Would it be okay to give her an egg for breakfast and then save the meat for afternoon/evening? I've given her a couple eggs over the past week and she loves them...is one a day too many? And is it okay to give them alone (as opposed to with the meat)? Thanks!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Magnolia618 » April 29th, 2006, 1:31 pm

Once a day is fine. It doesnt matter if it is with the meat or not. Give her the shell too!
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health