gross question but need info

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby chaddawg » August 25th, 2009, 3:17 am

I have a chihuahua that is 3 and a half months old and that few days his bowel movements have been green I feed him wal-marts version of kibbles and bits...

Thanks
Judge The Deed,
Not the Breed,
So Give A Pit bull,
A Try Before,
Sentencing,
Them All To Die,
chaddawg
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » August 25th, 2009, 7:46 am

What are you asking -- why is his poop green? If there is a lot of artificial colouring in the food, that could make his poop green. Has he gotten into anything else that he shouldn't have eaten? Otherwise, green poop usually means the food is not agreeing with his system and his digestive tract is upset.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ArtGypsy » August 25th, 2009, 7:55 am

Not that I feed the top of the line *very best* dry kibble, ( I feed Innova Large Breed Puppy), but Kibble and Bits is a very low quality food, and I suspect Walmart's brand may be even worse. There is SO MUCH filler and by products in this food, it could be myriad reasons why the poop is green.

I know the up front cost of the higher quality foods is daunting at first, but they REALLY do last a HECK of a lot longer (you feed less), and they'll be so much better for your doggie.

:mrgreen:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Malli » August 25th, 2009, 1:03 pm

for the amount that you feed a Chihuaha, get a better quality brand of food!

But whatever you do, don't switch him directly from his current food onto the new diet - this can make a dog with a calm Gastro Intestinal tract sick. You need to gradually mix the kibbles together over a week or 2 until his food is all the new kibble.

I agree, it sounds like he has "an upset stomach" or gut. When did this start? How long has it been going on for?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » August 25th, 2009, 1:18 pm

Do you give him treats? What kind? I used the Greenies biscuits with Asja when she was helping with puppies, and her poop turned green.

Is the poop loose?

If it's not a treat issue, I agree that you could probably start feeding him a better food.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Nutrition & Health