Please, good thoughts and prayers...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby plebayo » August 20th, 2009, 10:17 am

Dru is doing okay...still not acting like she's sick...never did...her bloodwork for her kidney values came back good on Friday...so we lowered her fluids...however, we're having a really hard time doing the amikacin...she screams when we do it...bad...so, Dr. J wants us to start putting it SQ after we do her fluids, and he wants us to do it in the fluid bubble...we tried that and she still screamed...so last night I put it in the line after she got her fluids, and she did better with it that way....so, I guess that's what we have to do...

I can't believe I missed this thread! Anyway you're probably nearing the end of treatment, hopefully the culture comes back normal. My question though, even though it's too late is did the vet ever put lidocaine in with the amikacin injections? We did like .5ml lidocaine and even though lidocaine stings also, our thought was that maybe the amikacin has a continual sting and the lidocaine helps deaden it more quickly? My dog never made a peep for her injections but her skin did quiver a little like she definitely felt it.

I hope the culture comes back clean!!!!!!!

:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby katiek0417 » August 21st, 2009, 2:41 pm

plebayo wrote:I can't believe I missed this thread! Anyway you're probably nearing the end of treatment, hopefully the culture comes back normal. My question though, even though it's too late is did the vet ever put lidocaine in with the amikacin injections? We did like .5ml lidocaine and even though lidocaine stings also, our thought was that maybe the amikacin has a continual sting and the lidocaine helps deaden it more quickly? My dog never made a peep for her injections but her skin did quiver a little like she definitely felt it.

I hope the culture comes back clean!!!!!!!

Thank you...we never tried the lidocaine, though I'll suggest it to him...

However, we did get the preliminary results back on the culture, and even though the vet wasn't there, they let me see them...

She is still positive for MRSI, and something else (still unidentified)...

I don't know if I can do this anymore...I had my hopes up that she was better...only to get crushed...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Pit♥bull » August 21st, 2009, 3:09 pm

katiek0417 wrote:I don't know if I can do this anymore..
You can and will :)

More :goodthoughts: coming at ya
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Jackuul » August 21st, 2009, 3:27 pm

So it is down to just two now? That is an improvement. Although it is MSRI and one other unidentified organism, if the final results show just those two, it is an improvement.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » August 21st, 2009, 6:17 pm

Jackuul wrote:So it is down to just two now? That is an improvement. Although it is MSRI and one other unidentified organism, if the final results show just those two, it is an improvement.

But is it an improvement? The preliminary results aren't even showing that it's sensitive to amikacin anymore...

I took her to a quack of a doctor. And this was after I took Asja there and he charged me an arm and a leg, and Greg told me never to take one of the dogs there again...I still took her there...and look where it got me...It's my fault she's sick...and there's not a darned thing I can do to make her better...

And, what's worse? I have people telling me I should've put her down a long time ago...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Jackuul » August 21st, 2009, 8:10 pm

eff those people.

Your vet will likely try a different antibiotic starting Monday, one that the MSRI is not 'used' to, or will do a concoction of several as has been proven effective. A bacteria can handle one or maybe even two that are strong enough to initially harm it - slap a third one in the mix and you have the Ahnuld of bacteria killers.

Toobad you can't make that Quackaroo pay for your expenses, the S.O.B...
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » August 21st, 2009, 8:52 pm

Oh Katrina :hug3:

keep on truckin'

I think I've said it before, its about quality of life, and you've said that Dru still wants to live, so...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » August 21st, 2009, 9:50 pm

Jackuul wrote:eff those people.

Your vet will likely try a different antibiotic starting Monday, one that the MSRI is not 'used' to, or will do a concoction of several as has been proven effective. A bacteria can handle one or maybe even two that are strong enough to initially harm it - slap a third one in the mix and you have the Ahnuld of bacteria killers.

Toobad you can't make that Quackaroo pay for your expenses, the S.O.B...

I plan on suing him....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Jackuul » August 21st, 2009, 10:01 pm

Good. Sue his *** off.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » August 22nd, 2009, 7:55 am

Jackuul wrote:Good. Sue his *** off.

Don't worry, I plan on it...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby HappyChick » August 22nd, 2009, 8:54 am

Katrina - Do you plan to get Dru's records and take her somewhere else then? Don't blame yourself, you trusted this vet and it's not your fault he is a f***-up. Is there a Veterinary School near you anywhere or perhaps an Animal Science department at your college with someone you can consult? I'm just throwing some ideas out there...

Take a bunch of deep breaths and get your resolve back. You and Dru will WIN this fight!

We are here to support you!

Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby call2arms » August 22nd, 2009, 12:55 pm

Actually it's the board of veterinarians you should consult, if there were any other events of this sort that have happened to him, they would know... They'll be the one to remove his licence or whatever if it would come to that.

Good luck with Dru, hopefully there is still something that can be used to nuke those 2 bacterias... her MRSA seems to be a tough strain. On the human side, there are a few more available - you still have options, and even though they're not licensed for animal use, they still exist (linezolid, daptomycin, teicoplanin).

On the other hand, I know you've tried to boost her immune system with honey, what about echinacea or other supplements?
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby HappyChick » August 22nd, 2009, 2:02 pm

HappyChick wrote:Is there a Veterinary School near you anywhere or perhaps an Animal Science department at your college with someone you can consult? I'm just throwing some ideas out there...

I meant for second opinions about the infections, MRSI and the unidentified one. Maybe they would know of new treatments?
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » August 22nd, 2009, 5:34 pm

I was under the impression that Katrina has Dru going to their regular Vet (as apposed to the one who did the 1st initial surgery on Dru) and that she was quite happy with him :|

Katrina :

good thoughts for you and Dru :)

How are the babies?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » August 23rd, 2009, 4:20 pm

call2arms wrote:Actually it's the board of veterinarians you should consult, if there were any other events of this sort that have happened to him, they would know... They'll be the one to remove his licence or whatever if it would come to that.

Good luck with Dru, hopefully there is still something that can be used to nuke those 2 bacterias... her MRSA seems to be a tough strain. On the human side, there are a few more available - you still have options, and even though they're not licensed for animal use, they still exist (linezolid, daptomycin, teicoplanin).

On the other hand, I know you've tried to boost her immune system with honey, what about echinacea or other supplements?
\

We're currently using colostrum with her to help her...

There are still things like vancomycin which we haven't used, yet...

Everything I have read, however, has said to start with the one with the fewest side effects, and work up from there...so it seems that my vet is following the proper protocol.

I have several friends who work for vets (and have spoken to the ones they work for) and one who works in a veterinary college, and they all agree with what my vet is doing, and have added that it can take anywhere from 2-6 months to rid a dog of MDROS....we're just at 2 months...I think I just have to stay positive!

He's been consulting a lot with the internists at the lab, as well....

Malli wrote:I was under the impression that Katrina has Dru going to their regular Vet (as apposed to the one who did the 1st initial surgery on Dru) and that she was quite happy with him :|

Katrina :

good thoughts for you and Dru :)

How are the babies?

Babies are AWESOME! They're off the chain! They're biting everything, barking at strange things, etc. Most people don't want those things...we do!

The bad news is that pretty much everyone pulled out of their deposit agreements with me. They're afraid of Dru's infections, and they're afraid of hand-raised puppies...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pocketpit » August 24th, 2009, 2:33 am

The bad news is that pretty much everyone pulled out of their deposit agreements with me. They're afraid of Dru's infections, and they're afraid of hand-raised puppies...

That's awful. I'm sorry you have to deal with that on top of everything else :( Interesting that people experienced enough to take on pups like them are scared of taking on hand raised pups. They do learn things from mom but at least they've had littermates.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » August 24th, 2009, 5:18 am

pocketpit wrote:

That's awful. I'm sorry you have to deal with that on top of everything else :( Interesting that people experienced enough to take on pups like them are scared of taking on hand raised pups. They do learn things from mom but at least they've had littermates.

Well, yes...you're right....however, regardless, hand-raised pups do tend to be more dominant than regularly-raised pups...and I don't know if they're equating that with handler aggression (even though handler aggression doesn't run in these lines)...but like I said, people's other fear is her infections. No matter how much you tell them that they are safe, free and clear of all infection, they are still worried that the puppy was exposed...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby call2arms » August 24th, 2009, 9:45 am

Oh, it totally sucks for the babies... Hopefully some people will come to realize that they're ok... Maybe they'r eworried about the fact that they could be carriers?

And... big misunderstanding - I meant complaints about the vet who DID NOT treat Dru properly and acted like this was no biggie, NOT the one who's saving her right now!!!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby katiek0417 » August 24th, 2009, 12:56 pm

call2arms wrote:Oh, it totally sucks for the babies... Hopefully some people will come to realize that they're ok... Maybe they'r eworried about the fact that they could be carriers?

And... big misunderstanding - I meant complaints about the vet who DID NOT treat Dru properly and acted like this was no biggie, NOT the one who's saving her right now!!!

I think it's that, as well as the fact that people hear MRSA, and they immediately freak out....

I do have a couple of people who have since expressed interest...but we'll see... :cry:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby katiek0417 » August 24th, 2009, 6:19 pm

Just spoke to the vet!

He called the internist over at the lab. They said that there are 2 scenarios here. The first is that, like any animal (human, dog, cat), Dru has staph flora on her. However, the flora she has is methicillin resistant. Which then caused an infection when her belly got ripped open. This is a possibility as she is so asymptomatic right now (she acts normal, eats, no temp, belly closed totally). If this is the case, she lives her normal life.

The second scenario is that she still has a pocket of pus containing MRSI in her belly, and the meds aren't penetrating that area. However, in order to find out, we'd have to open her back up and do something more exploratory. But, with that scenario, we are opening her back up, and if she doesn't have a pocket of pus containing MRSI (and instead it's the first scenario), we are opening her back up to infection.

So, my options were to either open her back up OR finish out the latest round of antibiotics (Wednesday would be the last day), then stop them. Give it a couple of weeks and monitor for any signs of infection. Obviously, if she develops a fever, her belly starts to swell, she stops eating, etc, then from there we know there's a pocket of pus and we have to go back in...but at least then we know that we didn't kill the infection (as opposed to opening her back up and increasing the possibility of going through this again when, in reality, she was fine)...

So, that's what I'm going to do...wait and see...if she remains well, then, she lives her life normally (I would have to watch to make sure she doesn't cut herself open again, however)...

I know there have been so many of you who have sent your good thoughts, and kept us in your prayers...thank you. So much. :hug3: I don't think I could've gotten through this without all of your support...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

PreviousNext