I'm sure there is a VERY easy solution...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby iluvk9 » August 14th, 2009, 9:01 am

So...let's hear it. :)

My dogs have been allowed on the furniture because it doesn't bother me. They sleep in the bed with me, too. Sleeping next to Truman is, as I often say, "like sleeping next to a big black man." :dance: (Don't get insulted with my choice of words, people. 8) )

I am getting a new leather couch. I do not want them on it. So, what do I do?

I am thinking of putting boxes on it, so there is no room for them. :giggle:

Don't get all fancy and technical with me. Remember what type of dog trainer I am. :neener:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 14th, 2009, 9:10 am

They make mats that have little nubby things on them that are uncomfortable to sit/lay down on. You could put those on the couch when you're not around.

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.a ... 96C880BV09
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » August 14th, 2009, 9:25 am

Heavily reinforce them being OFF the couch while you are around...(read the first part of this article:)

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/keeping-th ... page1.aspx

and use something to keep them from gaining access to the couch while you are away. (second part...uses aversives-things that make it uncomfortable to lay there)

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/keeping-th ... page1.aspx

Basically, make being off the couch as much fun as being on the couch was before. Use treats, toys, etc to reward good behavior. Provide alternate areas that are comfy, to sleep on for them...and reward them for using those instead.

At the same time, be consistent in not allowing them up on the couch when you're not around to reward them. Block off the couch with boxes...great idea. Use anything that makes it uncomfortable for them to be up there (plastic carpet runners upside down work well too)...yeah, it's aversive, but you have to make it so it's NOT comfy anymore.

If that's a problem...(my parent's dogs just knock the stuff off and sleep there anyway)...you'll have to keep them from even getting into that room...close doors, crate them, etc. Prevention can be the best medicine.

My Aussies think nothing of jumping onto the kitchen table to see watch us drive into the driveway...so while we're out...we lock them into the bedrooms...so I don't have to use aversives on the table.

It won't be easy, or overnight that this happens...they obviously enjoy lying on the couch...so you'll have to be consistent with your rewards, your aversives (if you chose to use them) and your prevention.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » August 14th, 2009, 11:41 am

OK! I am going to start now, before the new couch arrives! THANKS!! :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby maberi » August 14th, 2009, 12:18 pm

We bought new furniture last year and I did not want the dogs to ruin it like they did the previous stuff. I just bought some dog beds and put them in the room so they could still be comfortable since their are hardwoords in that room.

After a few days of them realizing they weren't allowed up they stopped trying. I also gaited that room off so they couldn't get in when we weren't in there
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby LMM » August 14th, 2009, 12:42 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:They make mats that have little nubby things on them that are uncomfortable to sit/lay down on. You could put those on the couch when you're not around.

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.a ... 96C880BV09

I LOVE this idea! I am also playing with the idea of getting new leather couches and was at a loss lol
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Malli » August 14th, 2009, 2:02 pm

Oscar doesn't LIKE our leather couches unless there are blankets or clothes on them :|

For him, if I take the blankets or clothes off, he won't even try to get up. And yes, it would be different if we had a fabric couch, then he'd be on it all the time :rolleyes2:

And I agree with the other techniques mentioned, as well :wink:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » August 14th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Uhhh...Matt? They have dog beds in basically every room. I just counted: 2 upstairs in bedroom, 2 in LR and 3 in dog den, along with their twin bed. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby juniper8204 » August 14th, 2009, 11:13 pm

We got new couches last year, and I told my husband (he was overseas at the time) that I wanted to keep the dogs off, and he agreed. Well, about a month after strictly enforcing the rule, I gave up. With Joel gone, I got all lonely. :mrgreen: I realized I like them on the couch snuggled up with me too much. LOL So, now they have full access to the couches unless they start taking up too much space, and then they're banned to the rug...and Joel loves them being up there as much as I do. I guess I'm a failed disciplinary when it comes to that. LOL
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby kera09 » August 15th, 2009, 12:40 am

i wanted to keep mine off the couch....HA. eric didnt agree and id come home from work to find him,duge and ava snuggled on the couch :nono: long story short my LIGHT beige micro fiber suede couch is ruined...i have to keep it covered at all times.....leather is my next move and no dogs allowed!!!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » August 21st, 2009, 7:04 pm

Joyce - howz it going so far??
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » August 22nd, 2009, 7:54 am

Well, my DIL-to-be and I dragged the old one to the curb for garbage pick up. So, right now, it's rather easy to keep them off the non-existent furniture. :giggle:

Monday the new one arrives, so I have a PLAN set up. A little of what everyone suggested, plus BIG ASS BOXES on the couch. :mrgreen:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » August 26th, 2009, 6:58 am

Well, they delivered the wrong color couch. It is "natural" leather color; I ordered "nutmeg". :rolleyes2:

10 more days, so they say. :bs:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » August 26th, 2009, 1:49 pm

totally! :bs:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » September 12th, 2009, 8:25 am

New couch is here and for the past 4 days, no dogs on it! :dance:

This is what I did:

1) When the "wrong couch" was here, I kept the gigantic scary plastic/foam covering over it. Other than Lenny lifting his leg once on it, (hey...they told me to USE it while I waited for the correct one..) no dogs jumped on it.

2) New one arrived and I made sure that every time I sat on it, I ignored Darlene's pathetically cute face to jump up next to me. :sad2:

3) When I am not home, I slide the couch forward, so it is against the coffee table. :dance: I have wood floors, so it isn't too difficult, for those of you concerned about my old age. :wink:

So far, Truman, has not realized he can literally step OVER the arm sides to get on it. Darlene is still insulted she was not asked up onto it, so she just glares at it.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » September 12th, 2009, 9:03 am

Yay for you, trainer of the year!! ;)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Malli » September 12th, 2009, 12:37 pm

yay Joyce!
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » September 12th, 2009, 7:35 pm

:giggle: That's me. Trainer of the Year.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » September 12th, 2009, 10:30 pm

iluvk9 wrote::giggle: That's me. Trainer of the Year.

Ok, Trainer of the Year, please come get Sammy to shut up when he goes outside at night. :rolleyes2:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » September 13th, 2009, 7:38 am

Don't put him outside. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Training & Behavior