My new "kids"

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby SassyCassie » August 18th, 2009, 10:40 pm

They are Nigerian dwarf goats. The black/white one is a wether (castrated male) about 1 year old. He weighs about the same as Cassie, maybe a bit heavier. The brown/white one is a little girl born this past April.

Now, all you weight pullers, I've been told wethers can pull little carts around - how do you figure out how much weight will be too much?
The root of ALL evil at dotcorny
SassyCassie
Just Whelped

Postby kera09 » August 18th, 2009, 11:38 pm

awwwwie i love them :)
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby hugapitbull » August 19th, 2009, 5:55 am

I'm thinking the subject should have been "My new Kids" :|
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » August 19th, 2009, 6:17 am

hugapitbull wrote:I'm thinking the subject should have been "My new Kids" :|

LMAO

They are very cute!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 19th, 2009, 6:58 am

They are too cute!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » August 19th, 2009, 7:27 am

SassyCassie wrote:Now, all you weight pullers, I've been told wethers can pull little carts around - how do you figure out how much weight will be too much?

uh... I can tell you how I worked Riggs, but I'm not so sure that you train a goat for pulling a cart quite the same way you train a Pit Bull for competition weight pull :wink:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » August 19th, 2009, 7:53 am

*girly squeal* I LOVE THEM!!! So freakin' CUTE!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SassyCassie » August 19th, 2009, 8:41 am

hugapitbull wrote:I'm thinking the subject should have been "My new Kids" :|

Oh good idea. Can i change the title? Or one of the mods?

Having fun trying to think of names. The lady at Springdale says she never names the animals that she knows are leaving. The kids like Billy for the boy - is that too cliche? And I am leaning toward Lily or Emma for the girl.
SassyCassie
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » August 19th, 2009, 12:21 pm

I like Billy!! They are cute, do they stink? I want some goats to eat all the weeds.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Malli » August 19th, 2009, 12:25 pm

they ARE adorable! :)

Tell me about their care!! What does a goat require?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SassyCassie » August 21st, 2009, 10:15 pm

Thanks for the title change :P

We named them Bailey and Jack. Bailey cried ALOT the first couple days, I was ready to send her back :rolleyes2: Today she was much better. He was so quiet I didn't think he made any noise but he is a bit louder now. (not nearly as much as she is - must be a girl thing, like ducks)

They love to escape. Had a couple near misses, so we are working on ways to prevent that (for instance they figured out they could push past you as you open the door, so we put a 30 inch barrier in front of the door - we can step over it, but they are held back momentarily) Got to work on something better for the outside pen. I heard they were escape artists, so i want to be careful they don't get out.

Put them on leashes a few times and walked them around. They were eating the poison ivy, :purpleBanana: tree killer vine, and wild grapevines. (probably my garden too, if i let them) Jack must have been walked before, he was pretty good, not too keen on going my way, but if I stopped and waited, he eventually decided he'll follow me. Bailey will go wherever Jack goes (good thing, b/c she is not too happy about the leash) Also found out she can scoot between my backyard fence pickets, luckily she was on lead at the time. They adore my youngest child, and if he walks away, they want to follow him.

As for care, they are fine on pasture and hay only this time of year, since neither is producing milk. I did get goat chow, but was cautioned not to feed them too much. I thought that sounded odd since the baby isn't full grown, and I was going to call someone who raises them to double check. In the meantime they are getting a couple cups a day between the two of them. I got them special mineral salt for goats, and read somewhere I am supposed to give them baking soda that they will eat as they need to maintain proper stomach alkalinity. (again, going to check on that with my goat expert) They don't drink very much water, I was kind of surprised about that.

They do have an odor, but it isn't offensive. I guess the bucks are pretty pungent, which is why most people don't keep them. The poop looks like /rabbit droppings, so when they wander around you don't really have to worry about picking them up.

Next project is working on some kind of movable pen. I thought I could tether them, but was told they will chew through ropes, and strangle themselves with chains (wonder about that plastic coated wire?) Plus if any neighborhood dogs wander by, they will flip out,(already had that happen with Cassie) and I am worried they will get hurt. I was thinking maybe 4 stock panels fastened at the corners, and moved wherever I wanted. The main problem is stock panels are 4' or 5' by 16 feet, so I will have to beg someone with a pickup truck to get them for me. Got a little bit of time, I want them to get used to us before I start moving them around too much.
SassyCassie
Just Whelped

Postby BullyLady » August 23rd, 2009, 1:17 am

What will you do with them in the winter? They are SUPER CUTE!!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby SassyCassie » August 25th, 2009, 10:00 am

I have a big indoor pen, and their outside pen is on the east side of the barn, and it doesn't get much snow, so they should be able to go outside all winter.

They've already trained me to walk them every day. They 'yell' at us as soon as they see us outside and don't shut up until we take them out. (I am very trainable) Yesterday they 'helped' me weed my flower bed and ate up a bunch of my trumpet vine.
SassyCassie
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » August 25th, 2009, 12:56 pm

They sound like handy little creatures
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members